Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 01-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #21
pushrod
Founding Member

Most folks will let you take the bike to a mechanic (or shop) to get checked out before money changes hands.

A good used bike is usually a lot cheaper than new. There are exceptions. To me, "only $1000" is a good bit of money; but if it makes you feel better, it'd be worth it for the peace of mind.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #22
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsForBarbie View Post
I don't need to worry to abuse it but on the other hand if I need to spend more time and money to fix it - is this really worth it?
Each situation is different and "general" advice seldom applies perfectly to ANY specific case.

So, if you can afford to pay cash for a new bike and warranty is important to you, then by all means, go for it.

Buying used from a dealer, you should be able to negotiate a short warranty, even if it is just "money back", of a few weeks or a month.
That's all the more reason to wait until you are actually ready to RIDE before you get one......so you can "wring it out" during those first couple of weeks.

The general buying used advise is:
Don't assume anything; ask. Been wrecked, last service, how many owners (if known) and any other questions you can think of.

If it looks good, starts good, runs good and there is no sign of excessive wear with things like the chain or tires, then the odds are with you, especially for a bike that is ~ 5 years old with ~ 5K miles or less. They aren't even "broken in" good until 5K miles or so.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:57 PM   #23
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Clearly, you didn't read my response to you in the post #13!
Yes I did. It was a joke......mostly.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:42 PM   #24
GunsForBarbie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
Each situation is different and "general" advice seldom applies perfectly to ANY specific case.

So, if you can afford to pay cash for a new bike and warranty is important to you, then by all means, go for it.

Buying used from a dealer, you should be able to negotiate a short warranty, even if it is just "money back", of a few weeks or a month.
That's all the more reason to wait until you are actually ready to RIDE before you get one......so you can "wring it out" during those first couple of weeks.

The general buying used advise is:
Don't assume anything; ask. Been wrecked, last service, how many owners (if known) and any other questions you can think of.

If it looks good, starts good, runs good and there is no sign of excessive wear with things like the chain or tires, then the odds are with you, especially for a bike that is ~ 5 years old with ~ 5K miles or less. They aren't even "broken in" good until 5K miles or so.
Excellent advice! I actually started thinking after I posted that I would like only a new bike that a used bike actually has more pros than cons.

If I drop or scratch a used bike I won't cry as bad as if I would drop or scratch a new bike. Considering that I will spend probably all 2011 riding season practicing, I would be able to concentrate on actually learning how to ride properly instead of being extra concerned about dropping the bike or constantly watching out to not scratch the new paint.

Also, no warranty is probably a good thing for a noob since I will not be too scared to disassemble it or try to fix it.

So, after reading your advice how to look for a used bike, I may give it a try when time will come to choose.

Last edited by GunsForBarbie : 01-03-2011 at 06:45 PM.
GunsForBarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #25
GunsForBarbie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
Yes I did. It was a joke......mostly.
Sorry, I need to chill. I took it too close to heart, lol.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:14 AM   #26
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Also, no warranty is probably a good thing for a noob since I will not be too scared to disassemble it or try to fix it.
That statement strikes me as convoluted logic.
......but I think I know what you are trying to say.

Doing all your routine maintenance and "fixing" things are often quite different. Your objective should be maximum "up time", however you can accomplish that.

The warranty on used bikes, even if only a few days, is an attempt to keep you from getting badly screwed......and to encourage them to tell you ALL that they know up front.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #27
ghettoe
Registered Member

Personally, I feel like the leather jacket gets less heavier the more you wear it. After a while it kind of feels natural. But yes they are heavy. I take mine off as soon as I get off my bike and I won't lie and say I always ride with it. There have been times (During the heatwaves) when I have forsaken my jacket because it was just too hot to ride with it.

I think you should go for a cruiser. For some odd reason they seem to fit your purpose. But as a person who owns a baby ninja, I do think it's great too.
ghettoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #28
acecycleins
Founding Member

Ghettoe- Welcome to the world of textiles. Joe Rocket makes many textile/leather summer jackets that are great in warm weather. I know. Living in GA you get heat and humidity and my JR is good on the majority of days between 65 and 100 degrees.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #29
Trilliumliz
Registered Member

Take the course before you get a bike. Depending on the school, they'll have different makes and models and you'll get a better feel for what fits you best.

Whatever bike you get, you have to be comfortable on it. Better to start small (<600 cc) and build your skills and confidence. Stay away from rush hours for this season.

Also consider how and where you'll be getting it maintained (or learning how to get it maintained) - the convenience and reputation of the shop.

You're going to love it!!
Trilliumliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:15 AM   #30
Sicilian
Registered Member

Someone mentioned the classic style of the TU250 being a good first Standard learning bike.

Being a NOOB also looking to get into Motorcycling fairly late in life at 48, and also really liking the HD Sportster, but also very conservative about how I do it...

I just discovered when looking at the TU250 their Mini Cruiser the Suzuki GZ250. Suzuki Cycles - Product Lines - Cycles - Products - GZ250 - 2010 - GZ250

This looks like the perfect way to learn and slowly transition to longer road trips and even highway runs before moving up to a larger displacement bike like the Sportster.

Comments ?
Sicilian is offline   Reply With Quote