Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 11-29-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
thlax
Registered Member

Default What to do for winter MSF?

I just got into motorcycles and want to learn how to ride /pick up a ninja250 or a nighthawk soon except I think i got into the game a little late in the year and can not find anywhere that has a course now. I was fine with bundling up and learning to ride but i guess the instructors don't agree? I'm located in a Delaware and i believe the all courses for DE are through the DMV (department of motor vehicle) and have finished for the year. i looked at PA and MD with no success either.

Thankfully i have a friend who has been racing motoX since he could walk so he said he'd be more than happy to teach me to ride on one of those while waiting but do i have any options? All help is appreciated. Thanks .
thlax is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-28-2010, 06:09 AM   #2
ka5ysy
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thlax View Post
I just got into motorcycles and want to learn how to ride /pick up a ninja250 or a nighthawk soon except I think i got into the game a little late in the year and can not find anywhere that has a course now. I was fine with bundling up and learning to ride but i guess the instructors don't agree? I'm located in a Delaware and i believe the all courses for DE are through the DMV (department of motor vehicle) and have finished for the year. i looked at PA and MD with no success either.

Thankfully i have a friend who has been racing motoX since he could walk so he said he'd be more than happy to teach me to ride on one of those while waiting but do i have any options? All help is appreciated. Thanks .
Good morning, and congratulations on the decision to get trained before attempting to ride, and your choice of a first bike.

First, I would not suggest that your friend teach you. He may have ridden for years, but is not an instructor. MSF and Riders Edge instructors are certified nationally in the proper techniques to teach a new rider how to ride in a safe and logical manner over 3 to 5 days. This gives you the basic tools to start your riding career by showing you things that are not obvious, and can bite you badly when you need to know about them, such as counter-steering and proper brake techniques.

After you finish the Basic Rider course, ride with your friend off-road on dirt bikes. It is a lot of fun and you learn a lot about how your bike reacts in different traction and terrain situations. You will also be away from cars and their inattentive drivers who are a huge danger to us.

Since you mentioned that your state program is down for the season, call around to some Harley dealerships in your area and see who teaches the Riders Edge version of the MSF course. You can go to this site which will direct you to to area classes and give you information on each of the classes we teach.

Learn To Ride with Rider's Edge | Harley-Davidson USA _id=16&source_cd=SEM_RidersEdge&_cr=ppc|google|TRA INING|riders%20edge

Good luck and good riding in the new year ! Take your on-road riding practice slowly and carefully and you will do fine.

Remember one thing on the street: You are invisible and everybody is out to kill you. Be careful out there !

Doug

Last edited by ka5ysy : 12-28-2010 at 06:37 AM.
ka5ysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:22 AM   #3
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Solid advice, Doug. Especially the part about "don't get lessions from your pal." MSF instructors come in at many levels, but at least they are teaching to a plan.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
ghettoe
Registered Member

Agree with the above. My MSF instructor was describing what they went through to get certified and it sounded like hell. I suggest purchasing a bike and being patient till spring. Purchasing a bike now is not bad. In winter people sell them cheaper. However. MSF course is still the way to go. Though I can't say learning a few things from your friend is bad just don't pick up any bad habits.
ghettoe is offline   Reply With Quote