Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 11-29-2010, 12:44 PM   #1
Dirty Mac
Registered Member

Default Parking etiquette

I've noticed a bike was parked on the walkway in front of a mall. Seem convenient. Do a lot of riders do that? Does that ever cause trouble?
Dirty Mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-29-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
acecycleins
Founding Member

Depends on the Mall Cops. It's possible that it's an employee of one of the stores and they have a deal with the Mall Mgmt. Outside of the NorthPoint Mall in Alpharetta GA they actually have motorcycle parking by the food court.
Grocery stores, Walmarts, BJs or Costcos usually won't say anything. But I'd simply stop the patrolling Mall Cop and ask.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:45 AM   #3
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I think it's arrogant for a motorcyclists to park anywhere like that I hate to see it & don't do it myself. There is a parking lot for a reason & bikes (3 of them) easily fit in the parking spaces. I'd love to see a fire dept plow one over for being in the way. People don't realize the sidewalks & wheelchair ramps are there for disabled persons, deliveries & emergency use. Not wanting to treck your fat ass across the lot like everyone else is not a reason to park there. And no the "I have a bike & you don't" attitude isnt justification either.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:57 AM   #4
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
I think it's arrogant for a motorcyclists to park anywhere like that I hate to see it & don't do it myself. ... And no the "I have a bike & you don't" attitude isnt justification either.
You're looking at this all wrong ASR. Your attitude when parking near the door of the mall should be:

Of service to others: "By parking here, I've left a parking spot open for an elderly person or a Mom with kids to use."

Sharing your joy: "I've left my awesome motorcycle here for you to drool over as you enter the mall. Enjoy, and maybe drop some hints with Dad or the Little Woman on your way in to shop."

Life affirmation: "You text-addled cage drivers haven't killed me yet, and here's my bike to prove it!"

So I say: Park that motorcycle on the sidewalk, near the door, next to the bicycles, or in the Handicapped Only whitespace. You're actually doing the public a big favor.
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:58 AM   #5
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
I think it's arrogant for a motorcyclists to park anywhere like that I hate to see it & don't do it myself. ... And no the "I have a bike & you don't" attitude isnt justification either.
You're looking at this all wrong ASR. Your attitude when parking near the door of the mall should be:

Of service to others: "By parking here, I've left a parking spot open for an elderly person or a Mom with kids to use."

Sharing your joy: "I've left my awesome motorcycle here for you to drool over as you enter the mall. Enjoy, and maybe drop some hints with Dad or the Little Woman on your way in to shop."

Life affirmation: "You text-addled cage drivers haven't killed me yet, and here's my bike to prove it!"

So I say: Park that motorcycle on the sidewalk, near the door, next to the bicycles, or in the Handicapped Only whitespace. You're actually doing the public a big favor.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:00 AM   #6
schizuki
Founding Member

The last time I parked my bike near a store entrance, a nine-year-old kid hopped on and his mom tried to jam a quarter in the key slot.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:06 AM   #7
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizuki View Post
The last time I parked my bike near a store entrance, a nine-year-old kid hopped on and his mom tried to jam a quarter in the key slot.
In the kid or the bike?
Old 11-30-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post

I see your point but the "whitespace" at handicapped parking is often needed for side ramps for accessable vans, etc
Old 11-30-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizuki View Post
LOL no they arent steps to get up to the seat, they are mufflers.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
12er
Founding Member

Ive parked on the sidewalk here in SF but out in the burbs I wouldnt as parking is available outside of the city. Ive only parked on larger than normal sidewalks well out of the way of passers by.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote