Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 10-20-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
ghettoe
Registered Member

Default Bent gear shifter

So I had my first drop and the gear shifter is bent. I thought I could just bend it back but I checked online on some suggestions and I have seen mixed opinions. some say absolutely do not just bend it back as it could break, some say doing it is fine, and some say I need to heat it before I bend it back. Is it really that complicated a process? Should I just file a claim and get an actual mechanic to fix this. I thought I could fix it myself but with the advice I'm hearing I'm not so sure. Help please. I want to ride before winter kicks in.
ghettoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

It's just the lever, right? Not the shaft going-into the motor? If it's not mangled too badly, a large pair of pliers or a crescent-wrench can probably tweak it back-into shape.

If that's too much - do you have a hammer? Do you know which end of it beat-against an object? Take the lever off (you'll need an 8mm or 10mm wrench or socket for the pinch-bolt), noting the relation to each-other of the small punch-marks on the end of the shifter-shaft and lever clevis, and and whack the thing back-into shape between the hammer and a hard surface (such as an anvil or metal table, or even a cement curb, in a pinch).

Trial-fit it back on the bike, making certain you can actuate the gears properly. Re-install the retaining-bolt.

It's really not Rocket Surgery - almost is more than good-enough. Manufacturers make these things with the expectation that they'll possibly be bent now and again.

You can do this two or three times to a steel lever before you've got to scrap it.

An aluminium peg or lever can be bent-back in much the same way, but you've got to use a LOT of very tiny pecks with the hammer - trying to He-Man (or He-Woman) aluminium just breaks it.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
12er
Founding Member

As AH states, make sure you remove the shifter BEFORE attempting to bend it back. If it breaks, new shifter time. If you can straighten it with some force and leverage your out 15 min of your life.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
ghettoe
Registered Member

Tried to straighten it with force and that is a task that a policeman and my neighbor who has a ninja zx-14 have failed. I'm going to hit up my dealership or insurance to see how much it will cost.
ghettoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:27 PM   #5
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Wrap a one end of a chain around the shift lever, the other end to the rear bumper of your car. Have a buddy hold on to your bike, and rev your car up to about 5 thousand rpms and do a neutral drop. Something is bound to happen to the shifter with this procedure.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:10 PM   #6
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettoe View Post
Tried to straighten it with force and that is a task that a policeman and my neighbor who has a ninja zx-14 have failed. I'm going to hit up my dealership or insurance to see how much it will cost.
Ron Ayers dot com has it listed for $28.32: http://www.ronayers.com/Search/N/687...1215/Source/KA

Double-check the fiche before you buy, make certain to get anything that you might have to replace.

Ronayers.com Fiche Desktop Motorcycle Kawasaki 2005 Ninja 250R Gear Change Mechanism

My apologies to you - I mis-remembered how the EX250 has its shifter - I was thinking it was attached directly to the shift-shaft, rather than with the short piece of linkage. However, banging it out straight again still goes the same-same for this part.

I have to say - having experience in metalworking and mechanics makes this a "non-job" for me - it will be different (of course) for someone that has little or no experience, and probably limited-access to tools.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:12 PM   #7
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Bench vise & bigger hammer