Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 11-12-2010, 09:30 AM   #11
12er
Founding Member

Ive contemplated my Mx Lid while boarding with some of my crazier friends. I have my ski lid that I wont ride without (CA, Sierra Cement). But for the hikes and Drops having my full face lid has crossed my mind (thought the added weight on the hike also crossed the mind). I use it when I go downhill MTB'n though. 50mph with a simple bike helmet doesnt feel safe and its nice to have my goggles to keep the dust out.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2010, 11:45 AM   #12
pushrod
Founding Member

Here is an interesting article, although it's about football helmets:

NFL, manufacturers agree there's no perfect helmet - Yahoo! News

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:10 AM   #13
Squid Killer
Registered Member

The best thing you can do is have a full face helmet of any type.

FZ1, R6, Gold Wing, EX250, Seca 2, TTR230, Metropolitan.
Squid Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:21 PM   #14
DataDan
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweakxc03 View Post
So I've been reading a little on quality of protective gear online. I stumbled across the SHARP rating system for helmets over in the UK.
I found the SHARP website. It says nothing about how helmets are tested or how the ratings should be interpreted. I have no confidence in a ratings system that the rater doesn't define. ESPECIALLY when it comes from a government.

Quote:
They say that there is as much as a 70% difference in protection from "1 star" to "5 star" helmets.
What does "70%"; mean? Who said it? How did they arrive at it?

Quote:
I did some looking and "5 star" helmets are bringing prices of anywhere from $250 to $600.
I found £250 helmets from 2-star to 5-star. I found a 5-star at £170 and a 2-star for £450. Is there any correlation at all between rating and price?

Quote:
I know that you want to buy quality gear for riding. At what point does this become excessive for the purposes of riding on the road? Meaning, is there some point where you reach overkill vs. cost?
Buy a DOT-certified full-face helmet that fits you well and has comfort and convenience features you like. Make sure you get one shaped for your head. I once bought a very expensive helmet that just sucked because it gave me a headache after wearing it for an hour. I really like an easy-to-remove faceshield. I like a removable liner for easy cleaning. And plenty of ventilation that's easy to operate even with winter gloves.

Last edited by DataDan : 10-01-2011 at 10:27 PM.
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote