Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 10-10-2010, 12:55 AM   #1
chaossentry
Registered Member

Default assistance for total beginner and freeway capability

I currently have my motorcycle license. I went about it by getting a scooter,practicing and passing the test on it. Now I have taken the MSF course before i rode anything and failed it but I at least got on one. I now plan to take individual riding lessons to learn how to ride a motorcycle properly

My question is,once I have learned how to ride. I would like for my first bike to be a 250cc beginner bike. I was looking at the v-star cruiser or 250 ninja. My main concern is that i live in ny and work downtown. my main way of getting there would be through freeway namely the major deegan and the hudson since i live outside the city

I keep hearing about how 250cc cruisers struggle on freeway while the basic ninja 250 can easily handle it. flipside is even low powered semi sport bike like the ninja 250 is not recommended to beginners.

So can anyone assist me with this?
chaossentry is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2010, 06:42 AM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Actually, the Ninja 250 is very highly-recommended for beginner-riders; tractable engine, easy clutch, linear power-delivery, relatively upright seating, light-weight and inexpensive. Buy Used, whenever possible.

Admittedly, it's not the quickest bike out there - and depending on the size of the rider, it might be a bit taxed - but as a "City Bike" it probably cannot be beaten by anything.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
cloud9
Registered Member

For NYC you shouldn't have to worry about top speed much anyway. Most of the highways I drive on consist of the speeders in the left (60-70mph), grandma and clueless in the middle going about 45-50mph (a ninja can hold the speed pretty easily) and the mergers and people exiting on the right side (going about 40mph).

Plus if you traveling during the busy periods traffic will be slower than normal anyway giving you the perfect opportunity to use the nimbleness of the 250 to get around.

If you really have doubts that a 250 can handle the highway riding your doing then look towards the ninja 500. Plenty of used examples around and more than enough grunt for the roads you will be riding on. Cheap, reliable and noob friendly.

Insane are called those who deal with death

Masters are called those who seal the deal

Legends are called anyone of those who die in their quest.
cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:23 PM   #4
chaossentry
Registered Member

so which should i get for mostly freeway usage on the hudson and major deegan? the 250 cruiser vstar or the 250 ninja? also bare in mind im a heavyset person
Old 10-11-2010, 08:59 AM   #5
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Either will work. But get a Ninja 500. It's friendly enough and a little bigger than a 250. It also has no problem on the freeway and it's got a bit more torque when you need it.
the days ...
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:39 AM   #6
chaossentry
Registered Member

so for a first time bike it doesn't matter between sportsbike and cruiser? It seems everyone suggests a cruiser for a beginner to learn on then move onto a sportsbike.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
acecycleins
Founding Member

I'd get a Suzuki DRZ400SM for city riding. Light, nimble, run and punchy for the get out of the way of taxis moments.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:14 AM   #8
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaossentry View Post
so for a first time bike it doesn't matter between sportsbike and cruiser? It seems everyone suggests a cruiser for a beginner to learn on then move onto a sportsbike.
No, those "in the know" suggest bikes with upright-seating, tractable "friendly" power, and a relatively-low seat-height (depending on the size of the rider) for Newbies.

Also, we suggest "Used" whenever possible as well.

The bikes mentioned here fit all of those categories. If you like Cruisers - there are ones out there that also fit the bill.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote