Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 10-05-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
Waffles
Registered Member

Talking Need help. Buying a Sv650n.

Hey guys, I passed my msf course (I REALIZED I LOVE RIDING) last week and I was lookin to buy bike. Im dead set on a sv650n. I love that naked look. ya feel meh? I've been looking forward to having my own bike/riding for the past year or so and now that I passed the course, im dying to practice on a bike of my own. Could anyone help me figure out if this deal is good or not. Should I just try to be patient with it and keep looking? Thanks a lot guys for your time. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...990032060.html

Last edited by Waffles : 10-05-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

NADA sez $3145 to $4140 Retail.

KBB sez $2785 Trade, $4065 suggested Retail.

There are a Brazillion bikes out there - only YOU can decide what's right for YOU.

SV650 is not a bad choice. And, if legit - this doesn't appear to be too-bad of a deal. Money Talks, Bullshirt Walks. Decide on a number you think it's worth - then offer him that cash-on-the-barrelhead. If that number is $3500, then so be it.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #3
Waffles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
NADA sez $3145 to $4140 Retail.

KBB sez $2785 Trade, $4065 suggested Retail.

There are a Brazillion bikes out there - only YOU can decide what's right for YOU.

SV650 is not a bad choice. And, if legit - this doesn't appear to be too-bad of a deal. Money Talks, Bullshirt Walks. Decide on a number you think it's worth - then offer him that cash-on-the-barrelhead. If that number is $3500, then so be it.

Thanks a lot airhawk sir. Im just scared cause its a salvage title, it might be hard for me to sell when the time comes. I heard a salvage title lowers the value by a lot. Theres an 05 for sale with full fairings for the same price 10k miles and clean title. But a conversion would take too much time and money huh? Some people on the SvRider forums say if I look hard enough I can find an 05 06 low miles for $3000. maybe I could offer him that or lower and get away with it? anyways thanks a lot for your time. ill try and figure out this money talks, bullshirt walks thing. haha airhawk, so sick with the speech you is.

Last edited by Waffles : 10-05-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Yes, salvage title ruins the price. You would be an idiot to pay more than $1500 for it. The guy is looking for a sucker. His long bs rap about how great the bike is, even if true, doesn't change the fact that a salvage title ruins the price.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:52 PM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

That ad is so full of **** I can smell it from Florida. You DO NOT get a salvage title because you slip in oil and scratch the paint. That bike was totaled and written off by the insurance company. Somebody, maybe this guy, fixed it up and is selling it.

Get an SV650 by all means, it's an awesome bike. But this one? I wouldn't **** it with your ****.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:07 PM   #6
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

D'oh! Now that I actually got to take a look at the ad (Craigslist blocked at work) - Nah, $3500 is a bit steep for Salvage Title.

By "not too bad of a deal" I was referrin' to it actually bein' a "real" ad VS. the scam-crap that's all-over Craigslist (which I figured you would be able to pick-out) and an SV bein' priced in this range. Sorry 'bout 'dat - hope I didn't lead you astray.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #7
Waffles
Registered Member

Damn.. Im clueless man... I actually thought that might be okay. You guys sniffed that out easy. Thanks lookin out for me guys. I appreciate it. Could i let you guys know if i find another one? I'm just not good at this yet. You guys seem like you know your stuff. Thanks again. ( Btw - I found this one but its a S. Same price $3500 but its seems more legit. Can anyone tell me if its a good deal? I guess I could get an S if its a good enough deal and aren't any N's around. Even thought that streetfighter look is awesome.) Imageshack - motorcycle2007135.jpg & Imageshack - motorcycle2007141.jpg

Last edited by Waffles : 10-05-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:13 AM   #8
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

The second bike looks very clean. If the miles are low, it might be a great choice. Of course, you can make it a naked/streetfighter by removing the fairings and adding a headlight later. That's how the whole look got started anyway.

Seems to me that in the SoCal Death by Heat Zone you should be able to get exactly what you want, if you take your time.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:11 PM   #9
acecycleins
Founding Member

You can find 1st gen SVs for under $3000 in pretty great condition. 2nd gen SVs that are absolutely clean can be found for $3500-$4000. I prefer the 1st gen bike, but the 2nd gen is FI. Hard call, but I say buy an FZ6.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:02 PM   #10
Waffles
Registered Member

alright, so im gonna try to meet him up and take a look at the bike. would it be disrepectful if I offered him $3000? I could offer more but I need the money for school too. but yea im also buying the bike cause my mom needs a car now and I can't stand to see her walking to work and sht. im gonna give her my car asap. shes a really good person btw lol. if I were to offer $3000 how would I do it? I've never actually bought from a private seller before and im really not good at bargaining. is there a certain way to offer? my bad guys im no good at this whole thing. thanks again.