Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #21
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffles View Post
Great advice. I have close to no idea what im doing haha. Set me straight there. You don't have to answer this one. you've helped me more than enough, but just throwin it out there. where would I pay the sales tax? the dmv? could I just do all that stuff at AAA?
That's where you pay the taxes on it in MO, is the DMV. Actually, in Missouri the "DMV" is the state Department of Revenue. At least they're honest about taking your money being to generate Income for the State - most states use the facade of the DMV as "promoting Motor Vehicle Safety" BS.

It's not really any of that - they just want your money.
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2010, 12:51 PM   #22
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffles View Post
Great advice. I have close to no idea what im doing haha. Set me straight there. You don't have to answer this one. you've helped me more than enough, but just throwin it out there. where would I pay the sales tax? the dmv? could I just do all that stuff at AAA?
Every state is different. In Florida, if you buy at the dealer, they handle it. If you buy from an individual, you have to pay at the County office, which is also where you get your tag and registration. There's also a lot of little businesses that do the work for you, but they charge. Depends on how busy you are.

AAA? Isn't that just a motorist aid group? Maybe it's different in Cali, after all, y'all invented the car culture.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:53 PM   #23
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Oh yeah, get it insured ASAP. For theft, collision, and liability. You're new, and you don't want to be in debt for a $100k lawsuit if you bounce off of somebody's windshield and emotionally traumatize them.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:37 PM   #24
12er
Founding Member
 
12er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SF
Posts: 2,801
Default

When I sell anything I write up two bills of sale and have each of us, seller and buyer sign the bill so that we both have a copy. When I sold my last car I still owed on it and in writing stated as soon as the buyers cashiers check cleared I'd pay off the car and have them send the title. A nice seller may fudge the purchase price lower on the bill of sale just so you dont have as much used tax when you go to register it. Though that is of course Illegal. Keeping a copy as the seller free's you from parking tickets and what not down the road if the purchaser doesnt reg the vehicle and the gov comes after you. Though of course your on the other end in this situation.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #25
12er
Founding Member
 
12er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SF
Posts: 2,801
Default

Ken, if your an AAA member in CA they can do most DMV duties as far as title and Tags. Quick 10 min trip and your done, vs. spending the day looking at the sloths at the DMV. I only used them for road service (as their insurance is way too high) but that includes travel books, trip tics and DMV stuff. Worth the $50 a year.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #26
Waffles
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Every state is different. In Florida, if you buy at the dealer, they handle it. If you buy from an individual, you have to pay at the County office, which is also where you get your tag and registration. There's also a lot of little businesses that do the work for you, but they charge. Depends on how busy you are.

AAA? Isn't that just a motorist aid group? Maybe it's different in Cali, after all, y'all invented the car culture.
someone told me AAA will do your paperwork for you in 1/2 the time the Dmv/money for the state department does it. im just not sure if you pay the taxes there. ill look into it more. thanks though.
Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:21 PM   #27
Waffles
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
When I sell anything I write up two bills of sale and have each of us, seller and buyer sign the bill so that we both have a copy. When I sold my last car I still owed on it and in writing stated as soon as the buyers cashiers check cleared I'd pay off the car and have them send the title. A nice seller may fudge the purchase price lower on the bill of sale just so you dont have as much used tax when you go to register it. Though that is of course Illegal. Keeping a copy as the seller free's you from parking tickets and what not down the road if the purchaser doesnt reg the vehicle and the gov comes after you. Though of course your on the other end in this situation.
Good info thanks a bunch. ill be sure to update on my sv hunt.
Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #28
Waffles
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Oh yeah, get it insured ASAP. For theft, collision, and liability. You're new, and you don't want to be in debt for a $100k lawsuit if you bounce off of somebody's windshield and emotionally traumatize them.
No worries, I've been practicing this on my old beater car. as I make contact I give em a thumbs up with my left and a peace sign with my right. its like saying its all good bye bye now.... lol.
Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:36 PM   #29
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
Ken, if your an AAA member in CA they can do most DMV duties as far as title and Tags. Quick 10 min trip and your done, vs. spending the day looking at the sloths at the DMV. I only used them for road service (as their insurance is way too high) but that includes travel books, trip tics and DMV stuff. Worth the $50 a year.
Wow, that AAA deal is a no-brainer. There are few things more horrifying than going to the county DMV or Driver's License offices.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #30
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Wow, that AAA deal is a no-brainer. There are few things more horrifying than going to the county DMV or Driver's License offices.
Missouri is actually pretty painless - MODOR must have some kind of Performance Incentive or something - I've only had one "bad" experience with a really, really, nasty Beeyotch. But then, Missouri has the bulk of their Satellite Offices "Privatized" - they're contracted-out. Even so, the Regional Office in Joplin is run fairly-efficiently, for a Government Agency.

I'd just as soon have an Elephant do complex calisthenics on my testicles as walk back-into an Arkansas License Office.......

(most-certainly less painful than dealing with the completely bug-F-bomb'n-nuts people behind the counter there!)
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 10-07-2010 at 02:53 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off