Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   Need help. Buying a Sv650n. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/16632-need-help-buying-sv650n.html)

12er 10-06-2010 05:17 PM

"would you take $3k cash?" is a good start while unfolding $100's.

Waffles 10-06-2010 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12er (Post 250384)
"would you take $3k cash?" is a good start while unfolding $100's.

LOL... Thats 1 approach i guess. Is there a way I can do this without flashing bills? Like something with finesse you know?

Waffles 10-06-2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 250365)
You can find 1st gen SVs for under $3000 in pretty great condition. 2nd gen SVs that are absolutely clean can be found for $3500-$4000. I prefer the 1st gen bike, but the 2nd gen is FI. Hard call, but I say buy an FZ6.

Isnt a FZ6 an inline 4?? I passed just passed the msf. I got a perfect score but i dont think Im ready. Even the Sv took some serious thinking for me to decide on it. Thanks for the help though.

The_AirHawk 10-06-2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waffles (Post 250393)
Isnt a FZ6 an inline 4?? I passed just passed the msf. I got a perfect score but i dont think Im ready. Even the Sv took some serious thinking for me to decide on it. Thanks for the help though.

Owning one, I would pass on the FZ6 for now. The SV while having more power "down low", is also more tractable at lower revs. It's not the "ideal" beginner-bike either - but better than a supersport-based moto.

Waffles 10-06-2010 09:03 PM

Um this might be a stupid question, but here goes. After I buy the bike I should be getting the title and registration right? Is there anything else I should be getting? I've never bought off a private seller before. Im not very informed.. dank you.

The_AirHawk 10-06-2010 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waffles (Post 250397)
Um this might be a stupid question, but here goes. After I buy the bike I should be getting the title and registration right? Is there anything else I should be getting? I've never bought off a private seller before. Im not very informed.. dank you.

Generally, all owners named on the front sign the back of the title and hand it to you. If there is a lein (such as the original loan) on the bike, it will be listed on the front of the title - this should be signed-off already by an authorized representative of the bank/loan company.

If the lein has NOT been disposed - the bike is NOT clear and free property of the Seller, unless he has OTHER paperwork disposing of the lein against the bike. That paperwork should be surrendered to you along with the title.

You can also request a "Bill of Sale" - essentially this has the sale date, description of the property (make, model, etc.), VIN/Serial, buyer/seller(s) names (and signatures), Sale Price, and a statement certifying that the property is without lein. It should be Witnessed by another party as well.

A Bill of Sale can be entirely hand-written, and is a Legal, Binding document when properly Witnessed. Examples can be found all-over teh Internetz.

Take the bike home, get an Inspection (safety, smog, whateva') if your state requires it; take the Inspection certificate, Title, B.O.S. (if you got one), and your proof of Insurance to your local License Office, and have it Titled and Tagged in your name.

Actually, what State are you in? Surely your State's Revenue Department has a description of exactly what they need from you on their Website, yes?

The_AirHawk 10-06-2010 10:01 PM

Here, I just looked-up the CA requirements:

When selling a California registered vehicle, the registered owner of record must:
  • Release ownership by signing on line one of the title.
    If the vehicle is, or was financed, the lienholder’s name appears in the legal owner section and their release with counter signature is required on line two.
  • Provide the purchaser with evidence of a valid smog certification, if applicable.
    Smog certificates are good for 90 days from the date of inspection. The smog certification is not required if the owner or buyer signs a statement that smog certification was submitted with renewal fees within 90 days prior to the transfer date (a vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification).

Recent legislation changed the requirements for vehicle transfers occurring on or after January 1, 2005. When you transfer a vehicle that is four or less model years old a smog certification will not be required. The four or less model years old rule does not apply to diesel powered vehicles. A smog transfer fee will be collected from the new owner. When a vehicle is more than four model years old, evidence of a current smog certification must be provided by a seller except when the following occurs:
    • The transfer occurs between a spouse, domestic partner, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, or grandchild.
    • A biennial smog certification was submitted to DMV within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date (a vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification).
  • Provide the odometer mileage if the vehicle is less than 10 years old (Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form, REG 262). If the title does not have a designated space for this information, a REG 262 reporting the odometer mileage must be signed by both the seller and buyer. The REG 262 cannot be copied. An original must be submitted. To obtain a form by mail, call DMV's automated phone service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-777-0133. To speak to an operator call between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday - Friday, Pacific Standard Time, or pick one up from your local DMV.
  • Protect Your Liability. Complete a Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability. The seller is responsible for reporting the change of ownership to DMV within 5 days from the date of sale. After DMV updates the information from the Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability, you will be cleared from future liability on the vehicle. The purchaser is responsible for reporting the change of ownership to DMV within 10 days from the date of purchase.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________

If you have purchased a vehicle registered in California, you will need to transfer the ownership within 10 days from the date of purchase. You will need to do and/or have the following:
  • Visit a DMV office to transfer vehicle ownership. Call 1-800-777-0133 to make an appointment at a local DMV office near you for faster service. You may also make an Appointment(s) online.
  • A properly endorsed title, also known as a pink slip, with the previous owner's signature on line one. If the vehicle is or was financed, line two of the title will also require a releasing signature. If the title is lost, an Application for Duplicate Title (REG 227) (PDF) must be completed and signed. There is an additional fee for a duplicate title, and signatures of the legal owner and lienholder must be notarized. If the vehicle was not purchased from the owner whose name appears on the title, you will need a bill of sale from each in-between buyer. View the video Title Transfer – Where Do We Sign?
  • The odometer mileage is required if the vehicle is less than 10 years old.
    If the title does not have a designated space for this information, the odometer mileage disclosure must be reported on a Vehicle/ Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262) signed by both the seller and the buyer. The REG 262 cannot be copied. An original must be submitted. To obtain a form by mail, call DMV's automated phone service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-777-0133. To speak to an operator call between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday - Friday, Pacific Standard Time, or pick one up from your local DMV.
  • A smog certification.
    Smog certifications are good for 90 days from the date of the inspection. The smog certification is not required if a biennial certification was submitted to DMV in conjunction with renewal fees within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date. A statement to that effect must be signed by the seller or the buyer. A vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification.

When you transfer a vehicle that is four or less model years old a smog certification will not be required.The four or less model years old rule does not apply to diesel powered vehicles. A smog transfer fee will be collected from the new owner. When a vehicle is more than four model years old, evidence of a current smog certification must be provided by a seller except when the following occurs:
    • The transfer occurs between a spouse, domestic partner, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, or grandchild.
    • A biennial smog certification was submitted to DMV within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date (a vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification).
  • Pay the transfer fee.
  • Pay the use tax, if applicable.
    Use tax is calculated based on the sales tax rate in your residence county.

Waffles 10-06-2010 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 250400)
Here, I just looked-up the CA requirements:

When selling a California registered vehicle, the registered owner of record must:
  • Release ownership by signing on line one of the title.
    If the vehicle is, or was financed, the lienholder’s name appears in the legal owner section and their release with counter signature is required on line two.
  • Provide the purchaser with evidence of a valid smog certification, if applicable.
    Smog certificates are good for 90 days from the date of inspection. The smog certification is not required if the owner or buyer signs a statement that smog certification was submitted with renewal fees within 90 days prior to the transfer date (a vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification).

Recent legislation changed the requirements for vehicle transfers occurring on or after January 1, 2005. When you transfer a vehicle that is four or less model years old a smog certification will not be required. The four or less model years old rule does not apply to diesel powered vehicles. A smog transfer fee will be collected from the new owner. When a vehicle is more than four model years old, evidence of a current smog certification must be provided by a seller except when the following occurs:
  • Provide the odometer mileage if the vehicle is less than 10 years old (Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form, REG 262). If the title does not have a designated space for this information, a REG 262 reporting the odometer mileage must be signed by both the seller and buyer. The REG 262 cannot be copied. An original must be submitted. To obtain a form by mail, call DMV's automated phone service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-777-0133. To speak to an operator call between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday - Friday, Pacific Standard Time, or pick one up from your local DMV.
  • Protect Your Liability. Complete a Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability. The seller is responsible for reporting the change of ownership to DMV within 5 days from the date of sale. After DMV updates the information from the Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability, you will be cleared from future liability on the vehicle. The purchaser is responsible for reporting the change of ownership to DMV within 10 days from the date of purchase.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________

If you have purchased a vehicle registered in California, you will need to transfer the ownership within 10 days from the date of purchase. You will need to do and/or have the following:
  • Visit a DMV office to transfer vehicle ownership. Call 1-800-777-0133 to make an appointment at a local DMV office near you for faster service. You may also make an Appointment(s) online.
  • A properly endorsed title, also known as a pink slip, with the previous owner's signature on line one. If the vehicle is or was financed, line two of the title will also require a releasing signature. If the title is lost, an Application for Duplicate Title (REG 227) (PDF) must be completed and signed. There is an additional fee for a duplicate title, and signatures of the legal owner and lienholder must be notarized. If the vehicle was not purchased from the owner whose name appears on the title, you will need a bill of sale from each in-between buyer. View the video Title Transfer – Where Do We Sign?
  • The odometer mileage is required if the vehicle is less than 10 years old.
    If the title does not have a designated space for this information, the odometer mileage disclosure must be reported on a Vehicle/ Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262) signed by both the seller and the buyer. The REG 262 cannot be copied. An original must be submitted. To obtain a form by mail, call DMV's automated phone service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-777-0133. To speak to an operator call between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday - Friday, Pacific Standard Time, or pick one up from your local DMV.
  • A smog certification.
    Smog certifications are good for 90 days from the date of the inspection. The smog certification is not required if a biennial certification was submitted to DMV in conjunction with renewal fees within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date. A statement to that effect must be signed by the seller or the buyer. A vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification.

When you transfer a vehicle that is four or less model years old a smog certification will not be required.The four or less model years old rule does not apply to diesel powered vehicles. A smog transfer fee will be collected from the new owner. When a vehicle is more than four model years old, evidence of a current smog certification must be provided by a seller except when the following occurs:
  • Pay the transfer fee.
  • Pay the use tax, if applicable.
    Use tax is calculated based on the sales tax rate in your residence county.

Thanks a lot airhawk for all your help. I'm meeting the guy on the weekend to check out the bike. If its legit, I'm planning to offer $3000. Hopefully I'll have an Sv afterwards. Any advice on how to present my offer? He's asking 3500 and there arent any flaws I can see.

Kenneth_Moore 10-07-2010 06:28 AM

Most people post their ad assuming they'll get a lower offer. If the ad says $3,500 FIRM, then maybe he means it. You won't insult anyone by offering $3k; if it were $2k maybe he'd be annoyed, but $3k is a serious offer.

He's going to say "let's split the difference at $3,250. Then you can toss in "ok, you cover the sales tax and we're good." In FL tax would be about $200, plus all the damn DMV and County fees. They add up quick.

Maybe you don't want to flash the cash, but it's ok to say: "I've got $3k with me to do this deal. If you want to wait for another buyer I understand, if it doesn't work out for you, here's my phone number." He'll sell it.

Waffles 10-07-2010 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 250424)
Most people post their ad assuming they'll get a lower offer. If the ad says $3,500 FIRM, then maybe he means it. You won't insult anyone by offering $3k; if it were $2k maybe he'd be annoyed, but $3k is a serious offer.

He's going to say "let's split the difference at $3,250. Then you can toss in "ok, you cover the sales tax and we're good." In FL tax would be about $200, plus all the damn DMV and County fees. They add up quick.

Maybe you don't want to flash the cash, but it's ok to say: "I've got $3k with me to do this deal. If you want to wait for another buyer I understand, if it doesn't work out for you, here's my phone number." He'll sell it.

Great advice. I have close to no idea what im doing haha. Set me straight there. You don't have to answer this one. you've helped me more than enough, but just throwin it out there. where would I pay the sales tax? the dmv? could I just do all that stuff at AAA?