Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 09-09-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
Waffles
Registered Member

Talking Gear?? In need of your expert opinions.

Hey guys, I'm an extremonoob in need of your help. Im pretty sure you guys know what's up. I got a couple questions.

1. I'm gonna take the MSF in a couple weeks, but I got a teeny problem. I don't have any gear and I dont know which or where to get them. My budget is about $1000 on gear. If you guys could help me out, I'd like to know which company you guys like the best for helmets, jackets, gloves, pants, and boots and where I should get them. (I reside in Los Angeles). The msf class im taking says they'll provide helmet and gloves, but I need to get the boots. So advice on the boots are most important for now. Any other info on the other gear is appreciated greatly though.

2. To Sv, or not to Sv. I read the new rider thread a few weeks ago, so i know generally you guys advise a ninja250 for beginners. I'll most likely end up with one, but I'd like to know if its possible at all to ride a Sv650 n/s @ about 5'6/5'7. Is it a bad idea to start with one? I've read some places that its a borderline beginners bike, but since it's a v-twin it's somewhat manageable. I dunno why, but I cant stop looking at it. I think I would keep it forever lol... If I'm headed in the wrong direction, you have my permission to e-slap me in the right direction.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks a lot guys/gals for your time and advice.

Last edited by Waffles : 09-09-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Boots? Engineer boots or jump boots will do nicely. No need to pay huge premiums for boots that say "motorcycle" on them. Nothing will last longer than a good pair of jump boots. Like Corcorans.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:59 PM   #3
Waffles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Boots? Engineer boots or jump boots will do nicely. No need to pay huge premiums for boots that say "motorcycle" on them. Nothing will last longer than a good pair of jump boots. Like Corcorans.
Stupid me. I thought more money = better gear haha. I'll try to keep my mind more open. Thanks for your input Seruzawa.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:01 PM   #4
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I agree on the boots, I wear engineer boots myself. What "motorcycle" boots (not meaning boots that say H-D on them, more like SIDI & tourmaster, etc) is they are amrored, fit better and typically have a softer compound sole. Sometimes a "work" boot is so rugged & hard that you don't get good grip and feet will slip trying to back, etc. Heels can snag your feet on the pegs/boards, just be aware of it, that added inch height gives me the leverage I need to handle my bike due to it's weight.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:47 AM   #5
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Look at Shift Fuel. Boots are good on cruisers, but for sport bikes (or Ninja 250's or Suzi SV's) it can be a pain to get the foot under the shifter if you have boots.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:05 AM   #6
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
Look at Shift Fuel. Boots are good on cruisers, but for sport bikes (or Ninja 250's or Suzi SV's) it can be a pain to get the foot under the shifter if you have boots.
(+) 1 on Trent's comment. Soles that are extra thick can also provide too little feedback.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:44 AM   #7
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I'd hit Cycle Gear for about the best deals on riding gear. Most of their stuff seems to be pretty good quality and not overly expensive. As far as boots go anything stout that covers your ankles at least will work, taller is better to keep your hide intact.

I personally think an SV650 would be a decent bike to start on, it's obviously grabbed you where it counts LOL, Just remember it'll go way faster then you need to go so throttle control is they key. Once you get one practice balance and braking, those two skills are what will save your bacon. Keep your feet on the pegs and use your body position and weight distribution to control the bike. Learn to stop and swerve as quickly as you can, learn to use your front brake first, that's where all your stopping power is. Try to build up your reaction times so that when a car stops suddenly in front of you you can try to avoid it instead of mindlessly plowing into the back of it.

Last, don't get so nervous it takes all the fun out of it. First and foremost motorcycles are about the most fun you can have with your britches on, from riding them to looking at them to just knowing you have one the key is to just go.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:00 AM   #8
pushrod
Founding Member

Waffles,

You can go 'cheap' on the boots and buy some 'chukka' style work boots at Wally's or Sears. They must cover your ankles, and you do not need (or want) steel toes. Don't get the light colored ones, as they will soon look like poop. BTW, 'Cowboy' boots generally suck on a motorcycle. The heel and toe are not right, and the leather soles are guaranteed to put you on the ground at a stop.

I agree with Snarli on most of his post. Remember your first bike is probably going to be dropped, so buy one with that in mind. Whatever you buy, get 'frame sliders' on it ASAP to protect it somewhat in the event of a 'down.'

Gloves - until you decide what you really want, get some good elkskin 'ropers' from Wally's. Do not get gloves with the gussets on the inside of the hand. Avoid the racer gloves with the hard knuckle inserts. Personally, I love my Lee Parks DeerTours, but they are pricey.

Helmets - Very dependent on the size and shape of your melon. I like the Scorpion line a lot, but they don't fit me. Unfortunately, I have an ARAI head ($$$). The Scorpions get a very good review, and are relatively inexpensive.

Pay attention in class, have fun, and good luck! Keep us posted on your progress!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:39 AM   #9
acecycleins
Founding Member

On gear- I ride with Joe Rocket and TourMaster gear. The JR Jacket will be under the $150 area in most cases for light gear. The Tourmaster stuff is my winter/rain gear. Gloves- all over the map but I got a new set of Speed and Strength Twist of Fate closeouts from the MotorcycleUSA.Com superstore for $30 and they feel great. They make a textile jacket for $60. Knees down riding isn't my style really so I'm content with armored denim- easily found for under $100. Boots are subjective, but Icon and JR make decent boots for at or under $100.
Helmets are best ried on at a dealer so you can figure what fits your bean the best. If track riding Shoei or Arai. But for everything else think $250 or under and you will find great offerings. My flip up HJC was under $220 and Speed and Strength make a decent helmet for under $170.
Early model SV for under $3500 and you'll ne in the house for the first ride. Don't spend more. You'll feel much better about dropping your first bike to the ground spending $3k rather than $6k.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:45 PM   #10
Waffles
Registered Member

You guys are the best. That was so fast. I have a good idea on what I should be getting now. Just a day ago I had no idea what to do. I really really really appreciate the information you guys gave me. I'd buy you guys beers a round of beers if I could. Oh and, should i be buying all leather? I live in Cali and it's kinda hot sometimes. I read some things about textile and mesh. I'm just not sure how much protection they provide. I wanna be safe. Also, is it a good idea to buy full gauntlets? Seruzawa, Dr. Sprocket, Ace, Pushrod, Sarnali, Trent, & StarRide thanks so much for the information. I'll keep you guys posted on my progress. (I really like the alpinestars gears. Maybe I should buy those later?)