Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 09-08-2010, 06:44 PM   #1
Jofaba
Registered Member

Default Advice on my second motorcycle? Help really needed

I hate to post a thread like this, but I'm having a bit of trouble hunting down my second motorcycle. Some quick history: I started on a scoot early last year, got a Virago 250 this summer, and am looking for a highway friendly bike for next summer. I'll save up over this winter and probably sell off my Virago. My problem is that my bike options are limited by height. I know that's not necessarily abnormal, but I have a very specific kind of bike that I'm looking for, and for the life of me, I cannot find it.

Sub 27" seat. I don't know what my inseam is, but my Virago is about 27 inches. I can flat foot if I sit forward on the seat, but I usually right foot the brake and put most of the weight on my left leg.

I don't want a bike that makes me look like I'm screaming "look at me!". I'm short, but I'm not trying to compensate. I don't want a very large or very loud bike.

I hated the cruiser style at first but now I think it's most comfortable.

And again, I'm looking for something that I will feel comfortable taking on the highway.

I'm not against buying an older bike. I'd be willing to look at bikes from the 60's as long as they run well. Chances are unless I hit gold, this will be another 1-3 year bike for me.

There is a chance that I may use this bike for a very long "chance of a lifetime" kind of trip, so I want to be really comfortable with it.

I know this is a lot to ask, and a very common request, but I hope someone might be able to give me a suggestion that leads me to the perfect bike.

Oh,and lastly, I'm hoping to keep it under $5k.
Jofaba is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jofaba View Post
I hate to post a thread like this, but I'm having a bit of trouble hunting down my second motorcycle. Some quick history: I started on a scoot early last year, got a Virago 250 this summer, and am looking for a highway friendly bike for next summer. I'll save up over this winter and probably sell off my Virago. My problem is that my bike options are limited by height. I know that's not necessarily abnormal, but I have a very specific kind of bike that I'm looking for, and for the life of me, I cannot find it.

Sub 27" seat. I don't know what my inseam is, but my Virago is about 27 inches. I can flat foot if I sit forward on the seat, but I usually right foot the brake and put most of the weight on my left leg.

I don't want a bike that makes me look like I'm screaming "look at me!". I'm short, but I'm not trying to compensate. I don't want a very large or very loud bike.

I hated the cruiser style at first but now I think it's most comfortable.

And again, I'm looking for something that I will feel comfortable taking on the highway.

I'm not against buying an older bike. I'd be willing to look at bikes from the 60's as long as they run well. Chances are unless I hit gold, this will be another 1-3 year bike for me.

There is a chance that I may use this bike for a very long "chance of a lifetime" kind of trip, so I want to be really comfortable with it.

I know this is a lot to ask, and a very common request, but I hope someone might be able to give me a suggestion that leads me to the perfect bike.

Oh,and lastly, I'm hoping to keep it under $5k.
I have the perfect upgrade model for you: Honda Shadow 650
Old 09-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
pushrod
Founding Member

A bit more than $5K (maybe $6K?), but a Harley FXR (NOT a Dyna!) has a very low seat. Half Sportster/half Big Twin. A great bike.

They went out of production back in the early '90's, but they are very popular, and a recent search on eBay had around 150 for sale nationwide.

If you go that way, try to get an '88 or later. They had the bigger front fork tubes, thus a bit better handling.

I just saw my old bike in a crappy car lot. I made the mistake of stopping to look at it. It is in terrible shape. Bummed me out, big time.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:24 AM   #4
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
A bit more than $5K (maybe $6K?), but a Harley FXR (NOT a Dyna!) has a very low seat. Half Sportster/half Big Twin. A great bike.

They went out of production back in the early '90's, but they are very popular, and a recent search on eBay had around 150 for sale nationwide.

If you go that way, try to get an '88 or later. They had the bigger front fork tubes, thus a bit better handling.

I just saw my old bike in a crappy car lot. I made the mistake of stopping to look at it. It is in terrible shape. Bummed me out, big time.
Like this one: http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2006/03/...45745-full.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg H-D FXR.jpg (39.1 KB, 1 views)
Old 09-09-2010, 05:03 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post

I'd like an FXR myself. Nice ride. Except for the skull/crossbones and the stupid performance robbing exhaust.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
Jofaba
Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys, sorry I haven't had a chance to reply but haven't gotten a chance. Will look into each and toss a few of my own in for feedback. Really appreciate the help =)
Jofaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
MrJP57
Registered Member

I can 2nd the FXR suggestion. Heck, you may even be able to find a dyna in the 6k range. I wouldn't be too stuck on the 27" seat height though. The shape of the seat, the width of the motorcycle under you, etc. can have an impact on the ability to flatfoot. Also, a motorcycle with a lower center of gravity, such as most Harleys, most cruisers, etc. is easier to balance, and easier to one foot.
MrJP57 is offline   Reply With Quote