Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 08-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
5spoke
Registered Member

Default Passed MSF Class, Looking for bike.

Yes OG members its another one of these threads. The one where I tell you i am new to riding and am in need of bike suggestions.

My experience: I started riding with my fiances dad a few months ago and have been using his 750 nighthawk in the parking lot on 4 or 5 occasions for an hour or two each time. Just recently took and passed the MSF course.

Size: I am 6'4" with a 34-35" inseam and roughly 200lbs.

Current Options being considered: sv650n/s, Ninja 250/650

Question: Ok now the real question. I am a fan of standard and sport bikes and need a bike suitable for my size and experience. Everyone here preaches ninja 250r and I have no opposition to it (if I fit) but my dad and my fiances dad seems to think getting a 250cc is a waste at this point and that I will be bored of it in a short time. I have been looking at sv650's and have pretty much searched through all the craigslist ads and found nothing reasonable. My budget is roughly $3k. So what do I do? Pickup a ninja 250 (after I sit on one) and risk the "getting bored" phenomenon the Dad's speak of or keep searching for a sv650 or perhaps there is another bike you all want to recommend? I am ready to get a bike and start riding, I have all the gear paid for and in my apartment I just need that final piece.

Thanks a lot for the help and sorry for the repetitive tall guy/small bike/new guy/what bike thread.
5spoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-30-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
pushrod
Founding Member

First, Welcome to the Site!

Now then, a 34+ inseam is going to be a problem. Sport bikes, as a group, will have your heels hitting your back pockets. Standards less so, but still not a lot of room.

You might want to look at some of the smaller Dual Purpose bikes, as they have a more relaxed ergo, and for you, somewhere to put your legs.

You need to consider how you are going to ride. If you're just going to putz around town, a (relatively) cramped bike will suit you fine. However, if you want to hit the road, comfort will be a BIG issue.

Remember that engine size does not necessarily translate to 'usable power.' You can have a lot of fun bopping around on a DP 400cc bike, whereas a 600 I-4 screamer is just uncomfortable, and boggy around town unless you wring the wee out of it.

Lastly, a gift: motorcycles and powersports : craigslist eBay kijiji mash : United States

Tally-ho!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:21 AM   #3
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Try the Ninja 500R, too. Bigger than the little 250, and still a standard.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:23 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

You've already been riding a good choice. Pick up a Nighthawk.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:39 PM   #5
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

NO, Don't listen to them! Get a dual-sport with a high saddle position.

Or an old City-X, that had a sky-high seat too. You can always sit on a phone-book like I did with my old Pontiac in the 6th grade...
Old 09-01-2010, 08:02 AM   #6
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Yeah, lots worse choices than that Nighthawk 750. And it's within your budget.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:23 AM   #7
5spoke
Registered Member

Ended up with a 2001 sv650s with 3900 miles. I paid $2500 and it had been dropped once by the previous owner so the turn signal on the right side is off until I buy a new one. Not too much damage to the plastic though. It runs really smooth and I am happy with it. The power is manageable and I fit pretty well.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #8
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Looks Great!

Although that generation has "less power", I like them better than the later, "square-tube frame" SVs.

Excellent choice, it gets The_AirHawk stamp of approval.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:30 AM   #9
5spoke
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Looks Great!

Although that generation has "less power", I like them better than the later, "square-tube frame" SVs.

Excellent choice, it gets The_AirHawk stamp of approval.
COnsidering I am still learning and trying to gain confidence "less power" was just what I was after Thanks I am pumped about it!
Old 09-03-2010, 10:14 AM   #10
12er
Founding Member

I second, something about the fluid lines of the round tubes look much better than the stamped look of the later frame. Good choice and looks to be a great deal. Ride safe and enjoy.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote