Registered Member

Default safety while idling?

When I'm ready to go out on my butt-kickin' GS500f, here's my general routine:
1. have jacket, pants, boots on
2. sit on bike with helmet and gloves on tank
3. use the choke
4. start bike, put it in neutral, let it idle as I put on the gloves and helmet
5. give a few twists of the throttle as I ease down on the choke
6. slowly go on my way, using my parking lot to make sure the power is smooth before I go on the road

Here's the Q: How likely would it ever be for the bike to slip out of neutral and into a gear while I'm putting on the helmet and gloves? I'm not sure how much of a danger that'd be (would I go flying forward or would it just stall?), but I hear the choked high rpms and wonder sometimes.
sartorius is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Not likely, unless you've been beating on the transmission a LOT(say, repeated clutchless upshifts under power near-redline). Neutral is a pretty-safe "gear", once you're in it.

It's possible, but not probable. You'll have other problems a long time before that happens, I daresay.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

That is the last thing you should worry about.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Hasn't happened to me yet, in six years of riding. Most of the time, I start the bike (in neutral, of course) and let the bike idle while I gear up.

One thing to think about: my driveway isn't level so with all the vibrations from the bike it does have a tendency to migrate or inch along. I always make sure the front wheel is pointed uphill (relatively speaking), so the bike won't rock forward off the kick stand.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
sartorius
Registered Member

I don't think mine even starts while the kickstand is down. Safety feature, I guess.

Thanks for the input, folks. I'm not gonna worry about a sudden 4k rpm burst making a new entrance into my apartment.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:08 PM   #6
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Unless your helmet falls from your tank & catches the shift lever on the way down, even still he bike should stall if you engage gear while side stand is down. You have a better chance of someone parking on top of you while sitting there loud pipes, blaze orange vest, etc.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:25 AM   #7
pushrod
Founding Member

+1

Most bikes will stall, assuming you could accidentally get it to drop into gear.

If it's a Big Twin HD, or one of the other big V-twins, it may lurch forward, as the rotating mass of the engine is substantial, but again, it is not easy to go into gear without meaning to.

As mentioned above, I'd worry a lot more about well-fed birds, runaway grocery carts and mindless car drivers.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:07 AM   #8
ghettoe
Registered Member

Personally, I put on gear before I get on but as someone said that will be the least of your worries.
ghettoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:41 PM   #9
Dirty Mac
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartorius View Post
When I'm ready to go out on my butt-kickin' GS500f, here's my general routine
Sorry to go off topic but how do you like your GS500F? They are selling 2009s for $3,900 including all dealer fees before tax, tag and title in Central Florida. It's one of the bikes I'm considering for my first ride.
Dirty Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:16 PM   #10
sartorius
Registered Member

The GS500f is never off-topic.

I got it earlier this year, and I love the thing. Enough power to easily merge on the highway, yet very controllable so I'm not hanging on for dear life every time I twist the throttle. So yeah, powerwise it seems to be perfect for me as a first-timer. Seems pretty dang agile, too, although I don't have anything to really compare it to. Seating is kind of standardish, I guess: leaned forward a little, but not crazy crotch rocket style.

Mine was dropped by the previous owner, so I paid less and am not afraid to let it meet the pavement if it has to (only did once). That may or may not be a factor for you, but it was a big plus to me. Cracked fairing and duct tape ->

At first I was thinking I'd want a cruiser, but concerns about back posture/pain and general cost (I wanted < $2500) led me to narrow things down to the 250r, 500r, and SV650.

The SV650 got ruled out because it was a little pricier than what I wanted, and I heard varying things about the power: too much for a newbie or not? I probably could've handled it fine, being the cautious sort, but there'll be time to find that out next year when I get a different bike.

I hear the 250r or 500r would've been great first picks, too. Listening to people talk about them, they sound similar to the GS500f. I don't know what any significant differences might be, so maybe others will chime in here.

The GS500f just happened to come at the right time and right price. Completely unexpected, and I'm very glad I didn't ignore it.