Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 08-29-2010, 09:42 AM   #1
MacLeod
Registered Member

Default Bikes for tall men

Hi guys!

I am going to buy a first motorcycle and would like to get an advice about what bike is appropriate for a tall guy loke me. I am about 2m height. I am thinking of standard motorbike like Yamaha XJ6 or something. What could you recommend? Any experience with long legs?
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2010, 10:12 AM   #2
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Most bikes can be adapted somewhat to better physically fit you, however if you are new to riding, start small even if cramped, after you get some miles under ya, they you can more sensibly weigh comfort v/s safety.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
acecycleins
Founding Member

I have a buddy that's easily 6'7" and rides a FZ6. Mostly, look for knee comfort and not overall size of the bike. A Suzuki Bandit600 GSF600 might be decent. Really, a dual sport bike would probably be ideal. Yamaha XT660 or Kawasaki KLR would be very comfortable.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

2 meters = 6'6"

I would say the KLR 650 would be an excellent first bike, for a person of your size. It's light, won't do to much damage if it hits the ground, and they can be had quite cheaply.

The Yamaha FZ6 would probably fit, but is a bit more bike (a deliberate understatement) than the KLR.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:15 AM   #5
MacLeod
Registered Member

Thanks for advices guys. XT and KLR look like to be used mostly for off-rod driving. I am not gonna go off-road speaking the truth. Suzuki GSF seems to be what I need. What do you think about SV-650?
Old 08-30-2010, 06:16 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
Thanks for advices guys. XT and KLR look like to be used mostly for off-rod driving. I am not gonna go off-road speaking the truth. Suzuki GSF seems to be what I need. What do you think about SV-650?
You aren't really expected to take them off road. They are simply excellent bikes to learn on, can be had cheap used and can be resold after a year or two with little loss.

You might check out Suzuki's SRZ400SM, which is a supermotard style. Basically a dirt bike with street tires.

Last edited by seruzawa : 08-30-2010 at 06:26 AM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:35 AM   #7
MacLeod
Registered Member

Maybe you mean DR-Z400SM?
Old 08-30-2010, 06:38 AM   #8
MacLeod
Registered Member

Maybe you are right guys about dual-sport bike. I am from Kazakhstan where most of the roads can easily go in the off-road category.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:42 AM   #9
pushrod
Founding Member

Again, you can put street tires on the DP bike, and have an indecent amount of fun on it.

If you do not fit a bike, it won't matter how nice it is otherwise.

So find a decent used 400-650cc DP, and determine what you like and what you do not, then after a while, you can move 'up' to a bigger, more powerful machine.

And, all the bikes mentioned above have excellent resale.

RE: the SV-650... It is an excellent bike, but may not be 'leggy' enough for you. Try one on for size; they really are a great set of wheels! One of this forums' favorites, in fact.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:40 AM   #10
acecycleins
Founding Member

The KLR is apt at traveling paved roads. Makes a great Adventure tour mount and you can take it nearly anywhere. Unless you need a bike that does well over 100mph the KLR is a great ride, easy to maintain and there are tons of parts everywhere for it.