Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 08-17-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
sLoTh7z
Registered Member

Default I would Like anyones Opinion Pro or Joe

hello everyone Im new to a motorcycle but not a clutch. From the time when I was coming up I rode Dirt bikes and such but I am 18 now and wishes to Buy a motorcycle.

Im use to riding a 400cc and up (which kind of bored me)

soo I walked into a motorcycle store and saw the 2010 kawasaki zx 10r and I knew it was the Bike I wanted.

But this bike is a 1000cc bike even tho im new to motorcycles but not motor bikes period I wish to Learn on a fast bike. Is for one when I was coming up I was told at a young age that of any power comes responsibility. Even when I was showed how to ride I was always told to know the Bike and your Limits (but test them as you go) to Listen to the bike before your self.

Now I wish to buy the Kawasaki zx 10r 2010.

I would like to know if this choice is a good one or bad so I want to see everyones Opinion.
sLoTh7z is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-17-2010, 09:43 PM   #2
MOKE1K
Registered Member

If you don't die when the insurance agent quotes you, it'll be soon after you roll her out. Funny thing is when I sold bikes not so long ago, as soon as the guy (young or old) mentioned he used to ride dirt bike, I knew he couldn't ride! Besides dirt bikers never jump on anything until they've master the smaller bike. Don't be a poser learn on something smaller like a 400 or 500cc.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
sLoTh7z
Registered Member

hmm ill think on it
Old 08-17-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

"I don't never ride NOTHIN' what don't got at least a hunnert-an'-thutty hoss-powa'......."

Or my fav (overheard personally in a Kawasaki Dealership):

Salesmook (not MOKE!): "Can I help you gentlemen with something?"

Potential (probable!) skin-graft Candidate: "Uh, yeah - I wrecked my ZX6, and just got the settlement from the Insurance, and I was lookin' to replace it."

S: "You looking to replace it with another, or.......?"

C: "It was a bit underpowered, and I had pretty-much outgrown it already, I was thinking about moving on to a bigger bike......"

When I left, dufus was astraddle a modded 'Busa, while the Salesmook was callin' for backup and givin' it the ol' "Full-court Press" with dollar-signs in his eyes.

You are that guy, only less experienced in faceplanting asphalt. I'm betting you'll learn what it tastes like, mixed with your own teeth and blood, soon-enough.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:09 PM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

And if anyone thinks I'm bein' a bit "harsh" - well, **** You.

I'm tired of losing friends due to mollycoddling and "sanitizing" the fact that you can get hurt out there on a bike, and "ah, I know how to handle myself on a moto, I rode for yakkety-shmackety on these tiddlers on my lawn once, blah-blah." No, you can't. You're Delusional, and have no idea of the Mortal Peril you place yourself in throwing a leg over a machine that will kill you without remorse, and then their Idiot-Stick statistic hurts MY sport because they didn't have the sense to pour piss out of a boot if the instructions was hot-stamped on the heel.

Good Day, Sir.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:30 PM   #6
sLoTh7z
Registered Member

No ones asking u to be nice hawk I made this thread so I can see what everyone has to say. But if you must know I've had 2 friends that died on a motorcycle and one that shatterd his leg. But like I said its somthing I wanted to do when I was coming up but the reason I said the zx r10 is cuz its somthing I can see my self in. Working fon somthing you want not only becomes apart of you in a way that's why I wanted that bike I'm still open to try anything.

And I'm sorry for your lost I know how you feel.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:34 AM   #7
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Listen the truth of the matter is sLoTh7z we are glad you seem to be listening because that's the first step. Most of the guys on this forum are old school alot of them are so old they were riding 2strokes when they were legal on the street. The two strokes of that time were just as nasty as any bike today, plus they didn't handle like today's bikes.

Learning as you go even a 600cc is very dangerous. Not many new street riders can make it the first year without some type of damage being incurred. Iv worked at dealers for the last 15 yrs first as a technician then as a salesman. Iv roadraced since 1989 on and off so I have seen alot. From guys dumping it right in the parking lot to high speed deaths of my customers. Get a bike that you can learn on first keep it for two years, then move to a 600. You may strongly disagree with the progression but we'd like to see you come back to this forum. Good luck brah!

Last edited by MOKE1K : 08-18-2010 at 06:45 AM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:17 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Use your senses.

You like the ZX-10 for it's looks and potential but you might hate the shyt out of it if you actually have to ride it. There are several things to consider, and not just for new riders.

The bike is likely to be painfully uncomfortable for more than short distances.

The suspensions on these race replicas tend to be very stiff and on roads that aren't very smooth you may find yourself unable to keep up with non-race replicas because of the lack of compliance between the tires and the road. I run into this on some of our heavily washboarded roads occasionally.... a race replica chattering while a Tiger goes merrily on its way.

Potential top speeds of 180mph+ may seem exciting but get caught doing much over 100 in a lot of states and you can kiss your license goodbye after your stay at the crowbar hotel. For example in Utah if you double the speed limit your bike gets impounded. I see guys getting their bikes towed by the UHP every year for going over 70mph in East Canyon.

Race Replicas don't have a lot of utility. Some don't have a strong enough tail section to take luggage.

Say you wanted to learn how to fly. Would you try to fly an F-16 first? No, because it would be pretty stupid. Starting out on a ZX-10 would be comparably stupid. But Moke is right, at your age insurance is going to be thousands per year for a performance bike. Check online for quotes.

I still remember how exciting it was to get my first bike. Even when I was 15 though I never thought that I was competent enough to start out on a Triumph650, much less a 150hp bike.

You need to take a deep breath and bring yourself back to reality. I've seen too many young guys eat it on race replicas. They all thought they were good enough.

Remember the old rule: It's more fun to go fast on a slow bike than to go slow on a fast bike. A Suzuki DRZ400SM will provide miles of smiles, believe it or not.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:26 AM   #9
pushrod
Founding Member

Our favorite learner bike for guys/girls that appear to have some riding experience is the SV650, or the 'S' version if you just gotta have a 'racer'. The little Ninja's (250/500) are the other highly recommended mounts.

'Friendly' power, great handling and brakes. Relatively inexpensive, both to buy and for insurance.

I'll add my 'no' vote for the ZX-10.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:50 AM   #10
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Buy a used Ninja 250/500 and ride it for a year. Then get something else. And check insurance costs before you buy anything. And buy a helmet and gear. And wear them. And take the MSF course. Etc., etc. etc.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote