Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 08-18-2010, 08:26 AM   #11
pplassm
Founding Member

From my point of view, if you are currently riding a 450cc MX bike HARD, then you will probably survive a ZX10. Buy a used one, though. It'll save you thousands, and it won't break your heart when you (inevitably) drop it.

I still suggest an SV650/FZ6/EX500/Z750/DualSport or many other lower peformance bikes for a first streetbike, though. You have a much better chance on one of them, and you may find out it's just what you need.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2010, 08:26 AM   #12
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Ditto on the SV650 or Kawasaki Versys Both excellent bikes with more than enough power to get your ya ya's on. The ZX10R is a bad idea for you. I used to ride one of it's predecessors, the ZX1000R and that bike was horrendously fast, however it was comfortable and fairly practical with a tank bag. I rode it for 4 or 5 years as general transportation and it was fine. The newer ones are a lot lighter, quite a bit more powerful and a lot more narrowly focused and in my opinion pretty limited as for their usefulness.

All that's beside the point, things happen very very fast on a litre class sportbike or even a 600, if you f*ck up you're going to be in way over your head way faster than you can react. That almost always results in an unpleasant situation for you and your family members who'll be left holding the bag. Be smart and start small.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:15 AM   #13
12er
Founding Member

Amen to all the above.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:24 AM   #14
sLoTh7z
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Listen the truth of the matter is sLoTh7z we are glad you seem to be listening because that's the first step. Most of the guys on this forum are old school alot of them are so old they were riding 2strokes when they were legal on the street. The two strokes of that time were just as nasty as any bike today, plus they didn't handle like today's bikes.

Learning as you go even a 600cc is very dangerous. Not many new street riders can make it the first year without some type of damage being incurred. Iv worked at dealers for the last 15 yrs first as a technician then as a salesman. Iv roadraced since 1989 on and off so I have seen alot. From guys dumping it right in the parking lot to high speed deaths of my customers. Get a bike that you can learn on first keep it for two years, then move to a 600. You may strongly disagree with the progression but we'd like to see you come back to this forum. Good luck brah!
Yeah I mean this whole forum was basicly to get a understnading of not only that bike but also to find the death ratio of a average motorcyilclist per year and you did help Me with that question. I've had to ask around is cause all my biker friends ether stoped riding (do to death of other friends) and others got hurt long story short I want to know what can go wrong and why and knowing that I can help avoid my splatter on the street.
But at the same time to just have fun =) thax for ur help
sLoTh7z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #15
sLoTh7z
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
You like the ZX-10 for it's looks and potential but you might hate the shyt out of it if you actually have to ride it. There are several things to consider, and not just for new riders.

The bike is likely to be painfully uncomfortable for more than short distances.

The suspensions on these race replicas tend to be very stiff and on roads that aren't very smooth you may find yourself unable to keep up with non-race replicas because of the lack of compliance between the tires and the road. I run into this on some of our heavily washboarded roads occasionally.... a race replica chattering while a Tiger goes merrily on its way.

Potential top speeds of 180mph+ may seem exciting but get caught doing much over 100 in a lot of states and you can kiss your license goodbye after your stay at the crowbar hotel. For example in Utah if you double the speed limit your bike gets impounded. I see guys getting their bikes towed by the UHP every year for going over 70mph in East Canyon.

Race Replicas don't have a lot of utility. Some don't have a strong enough tail section to take luggage.

Say you wanted to learn how to fly. Would you try to fly an F-16 first? No, because it would be pretty stupid. Starting out on a ZX-10 would be comparably stupid. But Moke is right, at your age insurance is going to be thousands per year for a performance bike. Check online for quotes.

I still remember how exciting it was to get my first bike. Even when I was 15 though I never thought that I was competent enough to start out on a Triumph650, much less a 150hp bike.

You need to take a deep breath and bring yourself back to reality. I've seen too many young guys eat it on race replicas. They all thought they were good enough.

Remember the old rule: It's more fun to go fast on a slow bike than to go slow on a fast bike. A Suzuki DRZ400SM will provide miles of smiles, believe it or not.
Well thax for the advise I am reading everyone has to say like I said I'm a open minded person. I don't know much about motorcycles so I'm asking the people that do know. At 1st I was thinking of putting loser springs on th zx 10 but I thut that would be kind of stupid is cuz I don't think super bikes shocks should be looser then they are. But thax for the advise =)
Old 08-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #16
sLoTh7z
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Our favorite learner bike for guys/girls that appear to have some riding experience is the SV650, or the 'S' version if you just gotta have a 'racer'. The little Ninja's (250/500) are the other highly recommended mounts.

'Friendly' power, great handling and brakes. Relatively inexpensive, both to buy and for insurance.

I'll add my 'no' vote for the ZX-10.
*is taking notes* lol umm its cool. As it comes in black >;D
Old 08-18-2010, 11:49 AM   #17
sLoTh7z
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
Buy a used Ninja 250/500 and ride it for a year. Then get something else. And check insurance costs before you buy anything. And buy a helmet and gear. And wear them. And take the MSF course. Etc., etc. etc.
Will check this information A.S.A.P! And I have saftey gear already =) THAX!
Old 08-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #18
sLoTh7z
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
From my point of view, if you are currently riding a 450cc MX bike HARD, then you will probably survive a ZX10. Buy a used one, though. It'll save you thousands, and it won't break your heart when you (inevitably) drop it.

I still suggest an SV650/FZ6/EX500/Z750/DualSport or many other lower peformance bikes for a first streetbike, though. You have a much better chance on one of them, and you may find out it's just what you need.

Ya that's what I thought but imma still look into other bikes not only that the cost to even have that thing will be high X-X;
Old 08-18-2010, 12:01 PM   #19
sLoTh7z
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Ditto on the SV650 or Kawasaki Versys Both excellent bikes with more than enough power to get your ya ya's on. The ZX10R is a bad idea for you. I used to ride one of it's predecessors, the ZX1000R and that bike was horrendously fast, however it was comfortable and fairly practical with a tank bag. I rode it for 4 or 5 years as general transportation and it was fine. The newer ones are a lot lighter, quite a bit more powerful and a lot more narrowly focused and in my opinion pretty limited as for their usefulness.

All that's beside the point, things happen very very fast on a litre class sportbike or even a 600, if you f*ck up you're going to be in way over your head way faster than you can react. That almost always results in an unpleasant situation for you and your family members who'll be left holding the bag. Be smart and start small.
Yeah I guss ur right ill go up a bike class every 2 Yrs or soo thax a bunch
Old 08-18-2010, 12:05 PM   #20
sLoTh7z
Registered Member

Well thanx every for your help. Also it will be nice if you guys can list some sports bikes that u think I shud try. And try to make them a ninja if u can. But anywaythanx a bunch for all ur help and ill update u all a week after I get my bike. =)