Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 08-13-2010, 05:19 PM   #1
Waffles
Registered Member

Red face Just a few questions. I'm kinda clueless.

Waffles needs help. I've been wanting to get into motorcycling for a while now, but only recently have i really tried to make it happen. I signed up for the msf course, which is scheduled for next month and I have just a few questions. Your help is greatly appreciated.

1. What kind of things will I be doing for the riding part of the course? Is it difficult? Waffles is nervous
2. Waffles has read many times that quality gear is essential. Are there certain brand names that are preferred over others by experienced riders? Types of gear? I live in Cali. I'm of small stature 5'7 and weigh in at 125 (but miniscule amounts of body fat, mostly lean muscle. remind you of someone?? Bruce who?) hehe bad joke.

3. I was really hoping I could purchase a Ninja250 by the time I complete the course, but I really don't know how.. I worked hard in a very old unforgiving warehouse for the past year and saved up a small amount of money which is all going towards my motorcycling experience. Its low pay and physical labor, but its the only job I could get and I've really wanted to ride for a while now. I know other people may have worked even harder for their bikes, it's just, I really dont want to waste my money on a bad deal. Can anyone advise me on how to buy the right bike? What should i be looking for? Do you have to be an expert to tell?

4. Lastly, How much would the price of an older year model drop if a newer year model were to come out? I'm considering waiting until the 2011 Ninja 250r comes out. If that would drop the price of a 2008 or 2009 model. I'm looking at around $3000 for a used 2008-09 in my area (SoCal).

Sorry for the essay. Just wanted to be crystal. If anyone could lend a hand it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks beforehand.

Last edited by Waffles : 08-16-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-16-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
Waffles
Registered Member

Ermm. Maybe an answer to just one of the last two questions?
Old 08-16-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

The course is designed for people who've never ridden a bike, so don't be nervous. If you can ride a bicycle you'll be able to ride the bikes on the MSF course.

Any sturdy leather boots that cover the ankles will do. Ditto gloves, a pair of leather work gloves will suffice. You can get a textile jacket pretty reasonably.. a convertible one will do hot and cold weather duty. Any DOT helmet that fits snugly will also suffice. You don't have to spend a lot of money on gear.

As far as a used Ninja goes, don't get intimidated about used bike asking prices. Most of those people are living in the land of dreams and hope. They ask the moon hoping that someone is foolish enough to pay premium prices in a depressed market. Locally (Salt Lake City) 2005 Ninja250s are going for under $2K. Fall is coming and we're past the peak summer pricing already.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
12er
Founding Member

1. Walking your bike, starting, clutch, stopping, figure 8's, how to corner, how to run over an obstacle in the road and basic road safety. Typically never over 2cnd gear and 20mph tops.

2. The better your gear, the less pain when you go down typically and the more comfort on the bike. But for msf you need long sleeves, hightops or over ankle boots / shoes and gloves. And old leather jacket and a pair of draggin jeans (google em, not too expensive) with a pair of gloves and over ankle shoes will work to start. Full face helmet is recommended, unless you like facial reconstruction surgery as a future option.

3 / 4. buy a 5 year old ninja 250, they've only changed it twice in 25 years so next years model wont save you anything over this years new. Almost all are low mileage as people such as yourself use them to learn on and move up. So scrapes aside most are mechanically sound. They can be often found from $1500 on up, saving you money for good gear. You can always have a shop take a look at your prospective buy just to make sure for not too much of a charge.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:13 PM   #5
Waffles
Registered Member

thank you guys so much. I don't have any biker friends so your info is very valuable to me. You guys are the best. Thanks for replying to so many questions. Hopefully I'll be riding a month from now. I'll post pictures of me falling for you guys when I get my bike lol! Maybe you guys will get a laugh from it. So excited!
Old 08-17-2010, 08:06 AM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Nah, no laughing.......most of us have fallen off a time or two, nothing funny about it. Take your time and practice as much as you can particularly practice braking. It's more important to stop than to go.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:01 AM   #7
pushrod
Founding Member

Someone watching Serenity again, I see.

Check your PM's, Sarnali.

Waffles, keep the adrenalin level down, and buy the gear (and bike) with a cool head. There are many and various options, so try to buy smart.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:07 PM   #8
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Yup, working my way through "Firefly" once again.........

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:24 PM   #9
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Yup, working my way through "Firefly" once again.........
Jewel Staite as "Kaylee" makes me salivate just thinkin' about her......

Gor-ram Yes!

She could help me dodge the Alliance any day........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 08-17-2010 at 12:35 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:57 PM   #10
pushrod
Founding Member

Like a lot of other folks, I got into the series out of order. I didn't see the 'Pilot' until I'd seen almost all the other episodes.

In the Pilot; Kaylee's scene in the Engineroom with the flaky dude she ends up replacing...

Hoo-wee!

And then, 'Mrs. Reynolds.' Wow. Both episodes.

Y'know, I think I could offer the networks a service. It seems like every series I really like, they pull after one, maybe two seasons. I could tell them which ones I prefer, and they'd save a lot of money.

Sorry to continue the hijack, but WTF...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote