Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 08-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #11
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I didn't even know about Firefly till I watched Serenity a few times. I finally watched the extra features and found out about the series so I Amazoned it.

I think all the gals are smokin hot but Morena Baccarin is a cut above

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-17-2010, 01:24 PM   #12
pushrod
Founding Member

Yah.

I liked her a lot more as a 'Companion' than a 'Visitor'.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:49 PM   #13
Waffles
Registered Member

ok yea I am kinda overexcited. I'll try to think more rationally. I was planning on buying a 2008 ninja250, but I thought about it and now I want a 2005 or so. I found one for $1200 with 20,000 miles, but it has a salvage title. The dude says it's in good condition and it runs well. Is this a good deal guys? If I were to get it checked by a mechanic, how would I get it to him? I don't have my M1 yet so im kinda confused on what to do. And thanks so much for all the help guys/gals. It means a lot to me.
Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:52 PM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

'Firefly' is over. Done. Gone and buried. 'Serenity' killed off integral cast members. Too bad because it was one of the best Scifi shows. It was purposefully torpedoed by an arrogant exec who showed the episodes out of order. Even then it had good ratings.

It's not anything new to see good profitable shows canceled on the whim of some egotistical studio exec. 'MST3K' for example was canceled because the execs didn't like the 2 hour format. Never mind that it was the SciFi Channel's top rated show. Now the SyFy Channel shows wrestling.

It's not always about money, either. Serenity was canceled just so some exec could prove he could.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:47 PM   #15
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffles View Post
ok yea I am kinda overexcited. I'll try to think more rationally. I was planning on buying a 2008 ninja250, but I thought about it and now I want a 2005 or so. I found one for $1200 with 20,000 miles, but it has a salvage title. The dude says it's in good condition and it runs well. Is this a good deal guys? If I were to get it checked by a mechanic, how would I get it to him? I don't have my M1 yet so im kinda confused on what to do. And thanks so much for all the help guys/gals. It means a lot to me.
It could be in great shape and it could be fubar. Check out a couple and listen to them so you have a frame of reference on sound alone. Go geek out at the local shop and ask the mech's if there are anything that you should be mindful of while looking. Make sure its a mechanic and not a sales guy. Ask how much it would be to look one or two over and if they offer picking up the bike. Additionally for a cash donation you may be able to convince one of the techs to go look at it with you. The industry is hit hard, I'm sure someone would want a little cash in their pocket for an hours time. Good Luck
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:27 PM   #16
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
'Firefly' is over. Done. Gone and buried. 'Serenity' killed off integral cast members. Too bad because it was one of the best Scifi shows. It was purposefully torpedoed by an arrogant exec who showed the episodes out of order. Even then it had good ratings.

It's not anything new to see good profitable shows canceled on the whim of some egotistical studio exec. 'MST3K' for example was canceled because the execs didn't like the 2 hour format. Never mind that it was the SciFi Channel's top rated show. Now the SyFy Channel shows wrestling.

It's not always about money, either. Serenity was canceled just so some exec could prove he could.

Yeah it's done. Great show though while it lasted....Nathen Fillion is doing well as "Castle", Alan Tudyk had a decent role in "3:10 to Yuma" Morena Baccarin was the lead alien in "V"... I'm sure the rest of the cast is working also.........

I'd be careful with a salvage titled bike myself, there's too many straight and clean used bikes out there to screw around with a potential headache like that..

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:46 AM   #17
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffles View Post
I've bought bikes with salvage titles before, but I also have been riding for decades and have built and rebuilt a lot of bikes. In your case I'd avoid a salvage title. There's too much to look for that could be wrong on the bike.

Be patient (I know it's hard). You'll find a good deal. Don't take the asking prices too seriously. People almost always ask a lot more for a bike than they are willing to take.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:11 PM   #18
Waffles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I've bought bikes with salvage titles before, but I also have been riding for decades and have built and rebuilt a lot of bikes. In your case I'd avoid a salvage title. There's too much to look for that could be wrong on the bike.

Be patient (I know it's hard). You'll find a good deal. Don't take the asking prices too seriously. People almost always ask a lot more for a bike than they are willing to take.
Thanks a lot. Good info man. I wanted the bike so much I forgot about the possible underlying problems. I look everyday at least 3 or 4 times. Just makes me want to make a stupid decision more. I'll try to be more patient. I got a little less than a month till i take the msf course anways. Real good advice. Good vibes. Thanks again Seru.
Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:18 AM   #19
ghettoe
Registered Member

I took the MSF course two weeks ago and it was amazing. I especially loved my instructors.

Anyway, they'll mostly teach you how to ride. Here, the first day was learning about motorcycles (It was a three hour class)

Second day was about ten hours of learning how to ride and we did a written test afterward based on the stuff that you learned the day before. It's a ridiculously easy test and no one scored below a 90. You need an 80 to pass.

Last day- was also a pretty long class. We rode some more and had a practice session before a practical. Everyone in my class passed it. Anyway, after that you get documents and can go get your license.
I had never ridden a motorcycle before let alone been on one and I managed.

2. I bought an xelement jacket and an HJC helmet. I bought both from leatherup.com (I spent 150 for both)

3. Craigslist is your friend. I spent ages on craigslist checking out used bikes. I was about to go buy one when an even cheaper one popped up the next day. I ran to that dealership and put a down payment on it immediately. My bike is a used 2005 ninja and I love it and I've got comments that it's pretty hot.
ps. I also worked a summer job to get money for my bike. I worked to the max hours I could about 40 a week and even went overtime when I could.

4. I cannot answer the fourth.

All I know is my bike was affordable and my insurance is 400 bucks a year covering comprehensive and collision and I'm only 18!!!!!
ps.There was a knucklehead who told me I may end up paying about 3000 grand. All liessssss!!! (Then again, I live in Jersey)
ghettoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:32 AM   #20
pushrod
Founding Member

Quote: ps.There was a knucklehead who told me I may end up paying about 3000 grand. All liessssss!!! (Then again, I live in Jersey)

Check rates on any of the 'race replicas' for an 18 year old. You can buy a new bike every other year for the premium on some of the 'hotter' bikes.

One of the many reasons we suggest the little Ninja for a starter bike.

Now get off the computer and go ride!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote