Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 06-30-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
RaggittyAnne08
Registered Member

Default Trying to decide on a bike. New rider.

Hey guys, just got my permit not to long ago and have been doing some research on some bikes.

A lot of people suggest going small and that's what i plan on doing. I just want to make sure i'm getting a good deal if i decide to buy a certain bike.

Currently i've been looking at:

2005 Suzuki SV650 2005 Suzuki
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

1999 Ducati Monster
Kawasaki ZX6r

All of these are used on craigslist. The only reason i'm looking at the ducati and ZX6r was because they were priced fairly cheap and had miles on them.

Which would be the better bike for a new rider like myself. Would the SV650 be to powerful with someone with very little expierience on a bike?
RaggittyAnne08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-30-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
pushrod
Founding Member

Hoooo!

First, Welcome to the forum Anne!

Second, pack a lunch and several beverages, and find the 'New Riders' sticky. It goes for a while. Lots of good information.

The short answer is the Little Ninja is a perennial fave here, and is most often recommended for new riders. The others you list tend to be taller, and of course more powerful.

The Duck is a great bike, but I don't think it'd be the best choice for a starter bike.

The SV650 is a fabulous machine, but perhaps a bit over the top for a beginner.

Where are you located? Knowing what part of the Big Blue Ball you sit on may help us help you.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
RaggittyAnne08
Registered Member

I'm from the US. Minnesota to be exact.

I forget to mention that i'm a taller guy. 6'3" around 200lbs. What would be a minimum seat height i should look for?
Old 06-30-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
12er
Founding Member

try them on is the best advice. May want to look for a Ninja 500 on the used market due to your size. First bike is just that, if you like riding, it wont be your last. Also the dual sports would be a great suggestion. 650 single isnt equal to 650 twin or 600 I4 in power, so a safer start. I recommend picking up a used KLR 650 as you will see all over the new riders sticky.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
jeff10236
Registered Member

The first thing you should do is sign up for the MSF course. You will learn a lot, including some things that just might save your life.

As for bikes, the Monster and ZX6r are definitely not for beginners. Too much power, too little margin for error.

As for the SV650, it seems like a nice bike. It is fine for some beginners- mainly those with some experience with bikes. Did/do you ride dirt bikes? Have you had the chance to put some miles on a friend's or family member's bike (not just 10 or 20, hundreds, maybe 1000 or more)? If not, it may be too powerful. It is fine as a first bike for people who aren't complete beginners. It may even be OK for a beginner who does well in the MSF course, but with it being your life on the line if you are wrong, do you really want to take that chance?

In sports style bikes, the best for a complete beginner are the Ninja 250, Ninja 500, and Suzuki SV 500. For beginners with some motorcycle experience the 650cc V-twins like the SV650 and Ninja 650R start to enter the picture.
jeff10236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:38 PM   #6
RaggittyAnne08
Registered Member

I'm currently looking into signing up for the MSF course. I think the next work offered here is in September...

I have driven motorcycles very seldom. Just some friends dirt bikes around the field. Nothing serious.

I have no problem looking at the Ninja 250 and 500 but i think anything before the year 2008 models are just god awful ugly. Would a 250 be pretty underpowered for someone my stature?

I'm in really no hurry in buying a bike though so maybe i'll just keep looking for the right deal.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:58 AM   #7
pushrod
Founding Member

RA08,

A Ninja 250'd work to get you around, but you're probably a bit large for the bike.

SV650 or KLR650 are my suggestions. Plenty of 'friendly' power, and the ergoes should suit you.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:10 AM   #8
jeff10236
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggittyAnne08 View Post
I'm currently looking into signing up for the MSF course. I think the next work offered here is in September...

I have driven motorcycles very seldom. Just some friends dirt bikes around the field. Nothing serious.

I have no problem looking at the Ninja 250 and 500 but i think anything before the year 2008 models are just god awful ugly. Would a 250 be pretty underpowered for someone my stature?

I'm in really no hurry in buying a bike though so maybe i'll just keep looking for the right deal.
It's great that you are signing up for the MSF course. That alone shows you are more level headed than many. Ideally, you'd wait until after the course to buy a bike (I probably should have, but didn't, though I didn't ride until after the course), but September? I doubt I'd be able to wait that long if it was me (unless you live where you have year round motorcycle weather, something that sure isn't the case in Minnesota). If you can wait, that might be ideal, but if you have someone trustworthy to teach you that is a long wait (if you lived in LA I'd definitely say wait for the class, but in MN Sept is probably pretty near the end of your riding season- I've been there several times in August and the days are nice, but after dark it sometimes got kind of chilly already).

As for the 250s, most 250s may seem a little underpowered for you. The Ninja 250 isn't most 250s though and a lot of the usual conventional wisdom about 250s just doesn't apply. However, the bigger deal in all 250s, including the 250, may not be power, but overall size with your height. Go to a dealer and sit on one to see how it fits you. You will probably need something with a bigger frame size.

If it was me and I was 6'3" I'd probably go with the Suzuki SV500. Also, I'd sit on the Ninja 500 to see how it fits (yeah, cosmetically it is a pretty old design, but most people don't have their first bike that long, it is just a learner bike). If I was very confident in my abilities from experience with other people's bikes or dirt bikes I might go to an SV650. The 650 is kind of borderline though- it is a V-twin so the power delivery is pretty predictable, but it is relatively powerful so if you ever accidentally grab too much throttle (which as a beginner you'll probably do) it can be an "experience." Ideally if you want the SV650 it would be better if you buy after the MSF course and you do very well (better than most) on the course, but the SV650 is probably doable, and it will probably fit you physically better than the smaller bikes.

Last edited by jeff10236 : 07-01-2010 at 09:13 AM.
jeff10236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:06 AM   #9
acecycleins
Founding Member

Buy a used Kawasaky Versys and dog it for two yrs or 15k miles before you take the step up to a different bike. You can find used ones for $4500 easy right now.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:34 PM   #10
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Hoooo!

First, Welcome to the forum Anne!

Second, pack a lunch and several beverages, and find the 'New Riders' sticky. It goes for a while. Lots of good information.

The short answer is the Little Ninja is a perennial fave here, and is most often recommended for new riders. The others you list tend to be taller, and of course more powerful.

The Duck is a great bike, but I don't think it'd be the best choice for a starter bike.

The SV650 is a fabulous machine, but perhaps a bit over the top for a beginner.

Where are you located? Knowing what part of the Big Blue Ball you sit on may help us help you.
HA HA! You thought the poster was a girl! Gettin all nice and friendly there... How's that "Big Blue Ball" line work for ya out on the patio bar?