Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 06-23-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
jeff10236
Registered Member

Default I almost went out today without my gear

I almost went out without my gear today. It hit 97 degrees, and had to be over 90 when I gave up at 10 or 10:30am. We've had 4 or 5 days straight over 90, 10 this month, and tomorrow is supposed to hit 99. Heck, it is 11:15pm and it is still 85 out there. It is only June!

I was out this morning around 8:30 and I was already hot when wearing my mesh jacket. It was OK when moving, comfortable when moving and in the shade, but every time I had to stop for a light it was sheer torture. I was very close to going out without my gear (the jacket and gloves anyway), but instead decided simply to go home and not go back out (when I went back out today it was in an air conditioned car).

Luckily, this summer is not our usual summer. Our first 85-90 degree days were early to mid April. Usually we don't get those until late May. Most summers the weather we've had this month is late July and early August weather (though we usually have a couple 100 degree days in July and August).

What do you guys who live further south or in the desert do? My jacket and helmets are black, would a lighter color really make that much of a difference? I do understand reflecting v. absorbing light and heat, but when it is this hot does a light colored jacket and helmet really make a noticeable difference? Should I just limit my riding for fun to early morning, evening, and nights when it isn't as hot? Stick to the highways and country roads where I can minimize lights (though I would have to deal with them to get from my apartment to the country or interstate)? Brosh has these "evaporative cooling vests" (I assume you drench them in water and the evaporation is supposed to help cool you?), do they work? Do they work in a very humid area or do you need to be in a dry heat?

Sun Glasses - Motorcycle jackets and clothing

Anyone have ideas and tips to help make riding in high heat more pleasant.
jeff10236 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL

To be honest, a couple weekends ago I was running a few errands in shorts and boat shoes. Dumb as shyt? Indeed. Do some of us do stupid things from time to time? Yep. In the end, I was still hot, self-conscious, and worried the entire time. (But my Sperry's looked fantastic)

There are times when the weather just downright sucks and riding isn't as fun as it normally is. My opinion is that if you're going to either compromise your safety or will be completely miserable being on a bike, it doesn't make you a fair weather fan to leave it in the garage (or the alley, in my case).

Y'all act like it's a hunert and twenty degrees out here....can't be more'n a hunert and fourteen.
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:49 PM   #3
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I try to make an effort to wear my jacket even if it's hot, specially on the freeway but sometimes I just wear whatever I'm wearing at the time. I use my bike to get around as much as I can and it's just not always practical to gear up. I always wear boots, gloves and a helmet, 99% of the time I wear long pants......

Since I bought the King Tourpak for my bike I've made the effort to wear my jacket more because I can stick it in the trunk while I'm at the store or whatever instead of having to lug it around. That's a big convenience factor for me, plus I've had a number of skin cancers so wearing my jacket and gloves keeps the sun off. Still there's times when I just hop on and go, it's a risk but you can't live in a bubble.

I have a white helmet and a high viz yellow jacket, it's pretty cool actually with the vents open and some air flow, cooler than my Fox Creek leather jacket that weighs 15 lbs that's for sure. In the end you just pay your money and take your chances, it's what you are comfortable with. Just remember sweat washes off a whole lot easier then blood.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:49 AM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

What do you guys who live further south or in the desert do?

Sweat. I rode in this morning in 90 degrees, 90+ humidity. I throw a clean shirt in the saddlebag to change into when I get in the office. Occasionally I'll risk the Cheeze Grater of Death and ride without the crash jacket, but not as often as I used to. Cycle Gear has a gel-filled vest you soak with water that cools you as the water evaporates. I'm thinking of trying it. Or that air-conditioned jacket somebody is making now...
Old 06-24-2010, 06:59 AM   #5
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

As you may know, I live right near the beach. Yesterday, I saw a dude in short swim trunks, a sleeveless tee, flip-flops, and a backwards hat. All this while riding on a.... (wait for it)... Harley-Davidson. Does that make him a squid?
Old 06-24-2010, 07:28 AM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
As you may know, I live right near the beach. Yesterday, I saw a dude in short swim trunks, a sleeveless tee, flip-flops, and a backwards hat. All this while riding on a.... (wait for it)... Harley-Davidson. Does that make him a squid?

Was he standing on the seat popping wheelies? Doing stoppies for the purdy gals? was the sleeveless tee black with some Harley bullsh*t on it or white?......

A sleeveless tee doesn't really have the same gravitas as the traditional dirty white 'beater so there's at least some style points off......

Enquireing minds want to know......

Old 06-24-2010, 07:45 AM   #7
pplassm
Founding Member

We all do it. Just admit it.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:48 AM   #8
pushrod
Founding Member

Ken/Jeff, save your money on the 'swamp cooler' vest/jacket/scarf/codpiece idea.

They only work when the water can evaporate. When it's 'thick' outside, they just make you wetter.

Only thing you can do is wear light colored outerwear, and breathable/well vented gear.

Which means traffic lights are a lot more irritating.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:53 AM   #9
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I just started wearing these Firehose Dungaree work pants from The Duluth Trading Company, they're super thick 11.5oz cotton and supposed to be very durable, triple stitching all around etc. I bought them for work because I go through a pair of regular blue jeans in about 3 months but they're turning out to be great for riding the bike too.

I don't know how they'd work in really hot weather though. They're definitely heavy duty pants so they're going to be warm but around here they work pretty good. They also have double front logger style too.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:18 AM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

I use light colored mesh gear, a white Arai helmet and I sweat a lot. If I'm going to be doing errands around town when it's 95+ I take the K2500 and use the A/C. Temperatures under 95 don't seem to bother me that much.

Of course in Utah we have dry heat.... like in the oven.