Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 06-24-2010, 08:27 AM   #11
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Ohio

I was in Ohio this week, a state that has no helmet law and about 90% humidity. 9 out of 10 riders I saw had no helmet or protective clothing. The most common rig was shorts, t-shirt and tennies. More power to-em but they are just asking for trouble.A long time friend's philosophy is it only takes one crash to learn the proper gear lesson.A couple of years ago I bought a mesh jacket a Hein-Gericke (on sale less than 200 bucks) with full armor and find it to be most comfortable when hot or riding in the desert. Long live the free society. And hydrate or die.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2010, 09:30 AM   #12
jeff10236
Registered Member

When I started I promised myself that I would always gear up before riding, but this heat and humidity is making me rethink that. Normally this is the kind of weather we have for the worst 2-3 weeks of the summer, and the summer practically started this way (Baltimore has had 10 days before today over 90 already this month, DC had 12, I'm between the two cities, and our first 85+ days were in the end of April). This is looking to me to be like the summer of 2002 (just with rain, it only rained 2 or 3 days that summer) when almost the entire summer was over 90, and we had about 2 weeks straight of 98-100+ (in addition to quite a few days scattered throughout that were that hot), I remember that summer well- I worked outdoors as a head counselor in a summer camp. Most summers it will only be a few weeks of only riding for fun in the early mornings or late evenings/night when it is cooler (and play it by ear whether to ride or drive for transportation), but it looks like this year it may be the entire summer and I want to ride more than that.

I thought the idea of going out without the gear would be jumped on, but I guess it is reassuring that people here sometimes go out without it. Still, I've only been riding for a bit under 2 months and 1400 miles so I'm not sure I should do it just yet (though it may be necessary if I want to ride much this summer).

If I get selected to teach summer school (I'll know in a week +/- a couple days) I may buy some new gear. I'm a teacher, I don't get paid summers, and I just had a fairly large and unexpected car repair, so I don't think I'll have the money to buy anything this summer without teaching summer school (other potential summer jobs: 1) haven't come through, and 2) don't pay very much). I hate my FF helmet to the degree I almost never wear it (I usually wear my half helmet), but I do want the protection of a FF if I can, so I am shopping for a new helmet. I'll make sure to get it in a light color (probably silver or light gray to match my bike). If I get summer school I guess I'll also look to get another mesh jacket in white, yellow or light gray.

Quote:
I've had a number of skin cancers so wearing my jacket and gloves keeps the sun off.
That's a good point, I haven't had skin cancer (yet) but I'm pretty high risk so protection from the sun is a big deal. My younger brother (with a darker complexion) has had pre-cancerous growths cut off several times. I am extremely light skinned (read, white as a ghost) and I've had several really bad sunburns in my life (a couple 2nd degree burns at the swimming pool when I was a kid- I used to live at the pool during the summer). I do try to use sunblock, but it isn't 100% and there are times I forget. Maybe I should at least wear a long sleeve shirt when/if I go out without my jacket.

Quote:
I throw a clean shirt in the saddlebag to change into when I get in the office.
That is a great idea! Wear the gear and sweat (it won't be too uncomfortable when moving) and when going somewhere with a place to change (work, my parents' house, a friend's house) bring another shirt to change into.

Last edited by jeff10236 : 06-24-2010 at 09:41 AM.
jeff10236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:37 AM   #13
jeff10236
Registered Member

Quote:
Ken/Jeff, save your money on the 'swamp cooler' vest/jacket/scarf/codpiece idea.

They only work when the water can evaporate. When it's 'thick' outside, they just make you wetter.
That's kind of what I figured (I'm getting into riding enough that I'm actually thinking about moving out west where they have better riding weather, maybe even be able to get rid of the car, even though I love the change of seasons).

Quote:
I just started wearing these Firehose Dungaree work pants from The Duluth Trading Company, they're super thick 11.5oz cotton and supposed to be very durable, triple stitching all around etc. I bought them for work because I go through a pair of regular blue jeans in about 3 months but they're turning out to be great for riding the bike too
I went a similar direction. I have a pair of Carhartt double front work pants. They aren't bad when it is hot, they do breathe a little, and they are great when bugs and debris hit your legs (wearing jeans sometimes something hits that really hurts, I haven't noticed that yet with the Carhartts). I'm thinking of trying those Firehose pants from Duluth as well.

Quote:
I was in Ohio this week, a state that has no helmet law and about 90% humidity. 9 out of 10 riders I saw had no helmet or protective clothing. The most common rig was shorts, t-shirt and tennies. More power to-em but they are just asking for trouble...

And hydrate or die.
Yeah, I've noticed around here that the past week or so I've been one of the very few wearing gear (I've gone out at least an hour or more most days for the past week and I've seen a lot of motorcyclists, there have been days where I haven't seen more than one or two others wearing more than a helmet). I suspect a lot of the riders around here wouldn't even have the helmet if it wasn't the law in MD.

As for hydrating, I have been thinking about a hiking style water bladder. I'm just not sure where I'd put it or how I'd rig it up. Once my saddlebag supports are in I'll finally install my bags and I may be able to rig it up there, or at least I can finally start carrying a water bottle.

Last edited by jeff10236 : 06-24-2010 at 09:44 AM.
jeff10236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #14
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

I had a dream last night I was riding-around naked, then I woke this morning with muffler-burns in a "sensitive area"...........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:18 AM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
I had a dream last night I was riding-around naked, then I woke this morning with muffler-burns in a "sensitive area"...........
Aha! so this was you after all!

Naked Motorcycle Stunt
Old 06-24-2010, 10:22 AM   #16
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Aha! so this was you after all!

Naked Motorcycle Stunt
Nah, nah - when I fell, it left two Damn-Big gouges in the pavement: one was from my head.....
Old 06-24-2010, 10:23 AM   #17
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

.......and the other was from my Skull.......
Old 06-24-2010, 10:40 AM   #18
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Man... why was i expecting that...

/facepalm
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:41 AM   #19
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff10236 View Post

I am extremely light skinned (read, white as a ghost) and I've had several really bad sunburns in my life

Well you're a candidate, most skin cancers are Basel Cell which are very slow growing (20+ yrs) so sunburns you had 20 years ago are the ones that will bite you. Melanomas are fast growing and deadly but rare. At anyrate you want to keep covered, I used to ride in a tee shirt without a helmet quite a bit and would get lots of sun on my head and arms so that's where they start to crop up. I have more of an olive complexion, probably from some Roman soldier having his way with my ancestors but I still burn. If I go out in the sun any more I cover up or paint myself with sunscreen. Fortunately sunshine isn't much of an issue here.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:23 AM   #20
korie
Registered Member

I moved basically to the beach in early may and I see the people with no gear as a regular thing. Foolish to me, but we all think and feel differently.

I have done the minimal to no gear thing. I didn't like the feeling. I do like the visor open at times, but I kinda think of not having gear as driving without a seatbelt. I can do it and have done it, but it just doesn't feel right.
korie is offline   Reply With Quote