Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 06-18-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
Mowhawk gnade
Registered Member

Default Parking lot, What to practice?

I have been riding for 3 days.
I have put 50 miles on my bike in those 3 days.
I am lucky enough to live in a flat subdavision with lots of stop signs, surounded by winding country roads.
I haven't tried any parking lot practice as I'm not sure what to practice.
I get alot of practice stopping, starting(clutch work) and am able to swerve to avoid pot holes and stuff.
the country roads are giving me practice on getting up to speed and riding difforent portions of my lane. and getting used to traffic w/o going into the city.
I don't want to miss out on any important safty drill/ parking lot excorsize only to find out when I need those skille most(on the road)
can someone here more experienced here give me some examples of drills or practice routines that are parking lot specific?
I am decent with down shifting, using both breaks,and am getting better at smooth acceleration with the clutch.
I am scheduled for the basic Motorcycle safty course in sept.
BTW I am riding a 800cc Kawi Vulcan classic.

thanks,

Mark

Last edited by Mowhawk gnade : 06-18-2010 at 01:07 PM. Reason: addition
Mowhawk gnade is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-18-2010, 01:46 PM   #2
12er
Founding Member

Sounds like you have a safe area to ride in, others arent as fortunate hence the parking lot suggestions. Emergency braking is a biggie, learning where the brakes lock etc. Also just slow speed manuvering is good, basically anything you can think of, bob and weave around parking markers, making your own little track, just a safe place to practice.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Give our good friend Captain Crash Idaho a quick lookie:

YouTube - CaptCrashIdaho's Channel

He's got a lot of Good Suggestions.

Also, check out Lee Parks' book Total Control - that book helped me with the "art" of Motorcycle Control probably more than any other.

Total Control from Lee Parks Design Catalog

Another good series of books is the Proficient Motorcycling books by David Hough. Helpful in watching-out for things like "Refrigerator Syndrome" and how to deal with it.

Both books should be in every Motorcyclists Library, and should be referred back-to at least Annually (like, just before Riding Season, unless you're a year-'rounder).
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

PARKING LOT!!!! Practice wheelies, stoppies, slow burn-outs, standing on the seat. sitting on the bars- I could go on.......

Seriously, look at the DMV course and mark it out in cones then follow it over and over for a week or so.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:42 PM   #5
silentgrayfellow
Founding Member

My favorite parking lot drills are:

Emergency / Panic stops

U-Turns

Slow riding (good training for throttle and clutch control (friction zone))

Figure 8 (left turn to right turn transitions)
silentgrayfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:55 AM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Ditto on the braking, you can't practice that enough. Start slow and work up to a normal speed, at least 35, practice braking with the front brake only, rear brake only, both brakes, brake and swerve, anything you can think of. Try to imagine you're riding along at 35 or so, a normal in-town speed and a car pulls out...hit both brakes as hard as you can then release them and try to swerve around the (imaginary) car.... these are real life scenarios you will most likely encounter at some point. You need to know how you and the bike will react under those conditions.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:30 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Yo dog. Do wheelies, stoppies and burnouts. Be sure to have a homie make a video you can post on YouTube. These are increasingly important skillz for today's rider.

Oh yeah, don't forget to drill the baffles out of your mufflers first. Werd!
Old 06-21-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
Mowhawk gnade
Registered Member

I spent a good 2 hours in a parking lot this past weekend practicing emer. stops and slow circles..it did help..I'll keep on trying the serious suggestions posted here.. thanks alot..
Mowhawk gnade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
acecycleins
Founding Member

Try this. I tell it to every newbie that I insure. Find a HUGE industrial park and roll over on a Sunday when the trucks aren't running. In each of the first four gears run the bike to or near the red-line and pull the clutch and FRONT brake only. By the time you get 4th gear you should be doing over 70 so make sure you back up a little further on each start. That way you don't run out of space on the ohter end. Put a cone down for your stop marker and put another cone down at the stopping point. If you do it right and long enough your 1st gear stopping point and 4th gear stopping point should be within a few feet of one another on your first day. By day two your 1st gear stopping point should be about 10 yards because you'll be able to pull harder and harder on the brake as you get better. At the end of the day your 4th gear stop should easily be 20feet shorter than the day before.
Luck to you.