Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 06-14-2010, 05:02 AM   #1
korie
Registered Member

Default i learned more in 25 miles...

I learned more about riding a motorcycle in about 25 miles over Saturday and Sunday than the 1000 or so I have put on my bike since April.

Yesterday I finished the course offered on motorcycle safety and learning that is offered by the state of NH. Really great stuff.

Yes there is bad videos and whatnot, but when getting on a 125 or a 250 you will really understand how much fun these things really can be. Also you get to fully realize why we are told by everybody to start on one. They really are fun and when you see the damage on these course owned bikes and how they still run quite well you will appreciate the lack of maintenance needed as well.

When I first saw the bikes I kind of laughed to myself about how small they are and all. Within the first few moments I was used to the bike and having a good time. Shifting your weight is easy. Tight turns is way easier. Everything just becomes easier. Easier in this case also means more fun. And if the bike gets dropped, well that has been done many times before. Due to my experience prior if a few months now I didn't drop their bike, but people did. By the end of the first day they weren't though.

Sunday morning we start off and the same people that were dropping the bikes and stalling the bikes were almost never stalling and there was only one drop at the beginning. With proper instruction we were all really getting everything down right. And we were doing this all safely.

I know that what happened last week was not my fault (oncoming car in the wrong lane), but I really feel I would have had better reactions to that whole thing had I taken the course prior to that.

I really learned a lot in less than 25 miles and they are things that I will use the rest of my days riding. Take the class. Ask questions. Have a great time and when you are done with the class you really will appreciate the 250cc bike a bit more and likely want one to ride and play with.
korie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2010, 05:15 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Real bikers know that smaller bikes can be the absolutely most fun. Imagine that all those people you saw stalling and falling were on HDs and liter-bikes. Oh, right. We do see people on those. In the obituaries.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I dropped mine Friday, had it been a smaller bike I could've easily saved it. No damage fortunately, my bike is so fat it don't even fall all the way down, just to the highway bar.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:23 AM   #4
korie
Registered Member

There were a few people that when they dropped the bike they would twist the throttle nice and open. Common thing to happen really.

And now with them all knowing an having practice (even those that didn't drop their bikes there) they are far more likely to know how to do everything way more proper.

It really was a great time and learning experience.
korie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:59 AM   #5
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Kunckles up elbow down will stop you from revving the motor when going down, also if the throttle jerks you back then your arm straightens you don't rev it even higher.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:07 AM   #6
pushrod
Founding Member

Glad you enjoyed the course, korie.

Now go have fun!

And take the 'Experienced RiderCourse' in a year or so. It's a lot of fun, too!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote