Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 06-11-2010, 07:38 AM   #11
korie
Registered Member

Thank you all for the well-wishes.

MOKE1K: I live in NH.

As far as I am remembering the kid (19 or so) didn't hit their brakes and barely moved as I hit my brakes and slid.

Yes- I locked the brakes and I believe that is why I went down harder than if I had more experience. I keep thinking about the whole thing as if it is on loop in my grey matter. I believe with more experience I could have not locked up and swerved. Next bike will be having ABS of some sort.

But to reiterate by what I mean by a lesson being learned: wear your gear. I didn't have my gloves on. My hands didn't pay as much as they could have and with a broken hand I would be missing the time of year I make my living. Also- without my helmet, jacket, jeans, and proper-ish shoes (boots are better though these worked good for this time) I would have not come out as decent as I did. I was very very lucky.

As I talked with the woman of whom got the koi on Wednesday she tells me her and her friend there are emt's and they just went to a call the other day. Kid on a 600 was zipping along fast and made a mistake. Bike was totaled. The kid was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. As Superman flew over the grassy part of the median he of coarse landed on the pavement and slid hard. In Massachusetts the law is you have to wear a helmet. He was lucky for that law. He lived.

But thank you all for reading this. This is why I posted the story in the beginner's section for I, too, am a beginner and am learning. I want people that are on here to see that unforeseen things can and will happen. They may or may not be our fault, but without the right gear our chances to ride again my fall quickly.

Time to go and wake the girlfriend for work and to stop rambling (I swear it's the friggin' coffee...)

Last edited by korie : 06-11-2010 at 07:42 AM. Reason: bad typing from phone's auto correct
korie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2010, 08:44 AM   #12
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

The kid was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. As Superman flew over the grassy part of the median he of coarse landed on the pavement and slid hard. In Massachusetts the law is you have to wear a helmet. He was lucky for that law. He lived.

He probably won't be thinking he was lucky when they start scraping his skin off with a loofa sponge and iodine. They don't make drugs strong enough to cover that pain.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:12 AM   #13
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

My favorite summer riding gloves are Joe Rocket Atomic 2.0 (they also have a 3.0 now). They're light and comfortable, and well-ventilated. Check them out.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:25 AM   #14
korie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
My favorite summer riding gloves are Joe Rocket Atomic 2.0 (they also have a 3.0 now). They're light and comfortable, and well-ventilated. Check them out.
I am definitely checking them out. I have rather big hands so trying gloves on makes it tough to find ones that are right. I went through quite a few before I went with the triumph brand gauntlets I have (knuckles on the others are all universal it seems no matter the size of the leathers which means my knucks aren't covered at the pinky and index on most). Damn companies not giving the xxl sizes right consideration... Lol

And as far as I know up and around here they don't use iodine and loufa. I kid you not: wire brush. I have heard that from about 5+ ppl.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:43 AM   #15
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korie View Post
I am definitely checking them out. I have rather big hands so trying gloves on makes it tough to find ones that are right. I went through quite a few before I went with the triumph brand gauntlets I have (knuckles on the others are all universal it seems no matter the size of the leathers which means my knucks aren't covered at the pinky and index on most). Damn companies not giving the xxl sizes right consideration... Lol

And as far as I know up and around here they don't use iodine and loufa. I kid you not: wire brush. I have heard that from about 5+ ppl.

I wear Lee Parks Elk skin gloves, lined gauntlets in the winter and unlined in the summer. Deer and Elk hide is supposed to be more abrasion resistant than Cow hide yet they're soft on your hands. Even cheapo leather work gloves will work just fine though, you're lucky, you're hands usually take a beating.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:16 AM   #16
korie
Registered Member

I was going to go with the Lee Parks, but I wasn't sure my hand sizing (xxl it turns out) and I was looking for some type of knuckle protection. Also I jot the triumph brand gloves for about $70 right when I first got my permit due to cold weather necessity.

But about 2 years ago when I was first lurking in here I remember a few of you posting about the Lee Parks. I will be indeed getting the lined for the colder months. I love riding and do not really wish it to be a seasonal thing for me.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:28 PM   #17
TriumphJeff
Registered Member

Hey brother - now that had to have scared the #$@! out of you! Glad you are OK- I'm hoping that the AMA keeps doing what it can to remind the cage drivers that we are out there.
TriumphJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:26 PM   #18
mimixhUO8
Registered Member

WOW Regrowth is yoked toWOW Gold Revitalize now (as is Lifebloom), not Rejuvenation. It's also yoked to Living Seed, the currently overpowered Efflorescence, Nature's Bounty, and is instant cast with the Tree ofBuy WOW Gold Life cooldown. Plan on using it a lot for just about every purpose you can name, because that's where so many of the good bonuses in the restoration tree have gone. We have very available stock of WOW gold onWOW Power Leveling most of the servers and we can deliver your WOW gold on the order in a short while. That is the most easy and fast way to buy cheap WOW gold in the worldAion Gold.
mimixhUO8 is offline   Reply With Quote