Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 06-06-2010, 08:18 AM   #21
pplassm
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff10236 View Post
How do you handle tolls on the bike? Do you keep some bills in an easily accessible pocket? Does anyone find E-Z Pass useful on a bike (where do you mount it, do they make units other than the standard car windshield mount units)?

I hope your knee feels better soon.
Thanks, it feels a little better everyday. Hope to be street riding by the end of the summer, and back on a dirt bike by the end of the year.

If I remember, I put my EZ-Pass in the map pocket of my tank bag. That usually works.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2010, 09:33 AM   #22
jeff10236
Registered Member

So just putting an EZ Pass in a bag will work? If I put it in leather saddlebags or a windshield bag, the leather and other stuff that might cover it wouldn't interfere with the signal? I'm thinking a windshield bag might be perfect for this if staying in the bag is OK- I wouldn't really use the windshield bag for anything else (maybe my wallet or a pocket knife or something similarly small).
jeff10236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #23
pplassm
Founding Member

I'm sure YMMV. I usually ride nakeds and dual-sports, so the tank bag is high.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:44 PM   #24
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff10236 View Post
So just putting an EZ Pass in a bag will work? If I put it in leather saddlebags or a windshield bag, the leather and other stuff that might cover it wouldn't interfere with the signal? I'm thinking a windshield bag might be perfect for this if staying in the bag is OK- I wouldn't really use the windshield bag for anything else (maybe my wallet or a pocket knife or something similarly small).
You know they make EZPasses just for motorcycles, right? At least, they used to. I've seen them before, mounted to the for leg.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #25
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Thanks, it feels a little better everyday. Hope to be street riding by the end of the summer, and back on a dirt bike by the end of the year.

If I remember, I put my EZ-Pass in the map pocket of my tank bag. That usually works.
I tried your tank bag thing today. We'll know it works if I don't get four tickets for sailing on through without paying.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:07 AM   #26
jeff10236
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
You know they make EZPasses just for motorcycles, right? At least, they used to. I've seen them before, mounted to the for leg.
Very cool, I'll have to check into MD availability. If not, I've noticed a few products for motorcycles.

Maybe this handlebar mount:
Cycle E-Pass :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

Or for a less permanent solution, I've seen this on a couple websites. I figure I could keep it at home most of the time and mount it when I am going on a trip or otherwise expect to hit a toll (around here, there are only a few places where there are tolls, and where I live I can easily avoid them on a day to day basis).

EZ Toll - Electronic Toll Pass Holder

Edit:

Looking over the MD website, they do sell a motorcycle transponder, but it appears that they expect it to be installed on the windshield as well (just at the bottom instead of the top of the windshield). I'm not crazy about that idea- it will look ugly, plus what if I replace my bike with one without a windshield (or decide to get rid of the windshield). I still may need to find an alternative mounting option.

I guess the worst case is I can put it in my bags and just always use one of the manned lanes instead of the faster EZ Pass only lanes. That way, if it doesn't read and I don't get the "paid" message on the screen as I pull up, I can pay the person in cash. If it does work at least I won't have to remove my glove, unzip a pocket, and go digging for cash (so it will save some time, even though I'd need to sit in the longer cash lines instead of using the quicker EZ Pass lanes).

Last edited by jeff10236 : 06-13-2010 at 11:36 AM.
jeff10236 is offline   Reply With Quote