Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 06-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #11
jeff10236
Registered Member

Cool, then my next experience building, umm, experience, will be the Harbor Tunnel which will also take me over a small (probably under 1 mile) suspension bridge. Just not at rush hour, I don't like getting stuck in tunnels and breathing in all those exhaust fumes in my car, I'm not going to like in on my bike either.
jeff10236 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2010, 05:04 AM   #12
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Jeff, for safety's sake relate bridges with joints and tunnels with limited visability, and both with no shoulder to escape, and possible slick metal surfaces the rest is irrevelant. As a new rider, don't be distracted by things you can see on a bike that you cannot see in a car, you have the rest of your life to enjoy that. Don't be nervous rely on what you have learned thus far & don't get ****y
Old 06-04-2010, 01:48 PM   #13
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
I mean, if they do, what are we to blame when we 'off-gas?'

"Hoo-wee! That farm we just passed is RANK!"

"Good God boy!!!!!!, what's your mother been feeding you?"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:10 PM   #14
pplassm
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff10236 View Post
Cool, then my next experience building, umm, experience, will be the Harbor Tunnel which will also take me over a small (probably under 1 mile) suspension bridge. Just not at rush hour, I don't like getting stuck in tunnels and breathing in all those exhaust fumes in my car, I'm not going to like in on my bike either.
I'd take the 895 tunnel myself. Always seems to be less traffic.

If you want a thrill, go over the Harry Nice Bridge (Rt 301 over the Potomac) when it's windy. Nothing like a 100 ft. high, steel grate 2 lane bridge, with both sides going 60.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:57 PM   #15
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
If you want a thrill, go over the Harry Nice Bridge (Rt 301 over the Potomac) when it's windy. Nothing like a 100 ft. high, steel grate 2 lane bridge, with both sides going 60.
That bridge is child's play. Nice view, though.

Why not take the Key Bridge, instead, Jeff?
Old 06-04-2010, 09:21 PM   #16
jeff10236
Registered Member

Quote:
I'd take the 895 tunnel myself. Always seems to be less traffic.

Isn't the tunnel on 895 the Harbor Tunnel, or am I getting the Harbor Tunnel and Ft. McHenry Tunnel mixed up?

I don't usually take 301 into VA. I've only taken that drive once (returning from looking at a used bike in Fredericksburg VA- I went there via 95, but came back via the back ways). It would make a beautiful ride, but it might take a little more time before I have the experience to tackle that bridge. I get the feeling that the Bay Bridge would be a tad easier (though at 4-5 miles v. just under 2, maybe not).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket
Why not take the Key Bridge, instead, Jeff?
Actually, I plan to hit the Key Bridge (though definitely not at rush hour) sometime in the next few weeks as preparation/practice before I try the Bay Bridge. I hope to get over the Bay Bridge sometime this summer (maybe make my summer motorcycle trial tour be to OC or the Delaware beaches).
Old 06-05-2010, 08:38 PM   #17
pplassm
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff10236 View Post
Isn't the tunnel on 895 the Harbor Tunnel, or am I getting the Harbor Tunnel and Ft. McHenry Tunnel mixed up?
I sit, comfortably in my couch, with my plastic knee elevated. humbly corrected. Good luck with your ride, sir.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:56 AM   #18
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Wink

Quote:
I sit, comfortably in my couch, with my plastic knee elevated. humbly corrected. Good luck with your ride, sir.
Give that man another Percocet!
Old 06-06-2010, 06:11 AM   #19
jeff10236
Registered Member

Quote:
I sometimes get which is which confused. I wouldn't have asked if I was sure I didn't get them mixed up. So, it appears we were of the same mind on which tunnel to go with. I'll probably head that way right after I get my bike back from the dealer (600 mile service and inspections). How do you handle tolls on the bike? Do you keep some bills in an easily accessible pocket? Does anyone find E-Z Pass useful on a bike (where do you mount it, do they make units other than the standard car windshield mount units)?

I hope your knee feels better soon.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:35 AM   #20
A Star Ride
Registered Member

When I know I'm gonna be hitn a toll I have the cash ready before I take off. Memorial Day weekend I went to WV and had a toll road I wasn't expecting so I found myself on the shoulder with a flashlight digging through my saddlebag looking for my wallet, I had my credit card in my pocket but my wallet deep in the bowels of the bag. Plan ahead..........always.