Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 05-27-2010, 09:58 PM   #51
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalberti View Post
I'm also a new rider, same boat as snakebite, and reallllly like the duc monsters (like an 05' 620cc). I know that Kawi, Yamaha, Suzuki, etc make "650r"s which have less power than the CBR, GSXR, but have the same cc's. Does this apply to the monster as well?
Mostly but those power numbers are deceiving. The V-twin's broad power/torque bands give you useable power in much more of the rev range. 70 horsepower is plenty anyhow. Too much for a new rider really. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a fool.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-28-2010, 02:17 AM   #52
jeff10236
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBite View Post
I actually have two credit cards, one of them is secured.
However, their limits are too low, but I keep debt-credit ratio low and do my payments on time, that explains my credit score I believe.
The only thing I'm worried about is collateral and history, as those are the downside of my credit.
I'll try to take a small loan and pay it off to improve my credit.
How long have you had the credit cards? If you've only had the credit cards, then you are right, they are probably looking for a history with an installment loan before giving you a motorcycle loan. You may be able to get a small loan through a bank or your credit union, but an unsecured loan may be as hard to get as one that uses a luxury item as collateral (i.e. a motorcycle loan). If you can't get an unsecured loan through your bank or credit union, you may need to wait until you need a car and finance it (even if you can pay cash you probably should finance it and take at least a year or two to pay it off if you want your credit history to look better).

You may get lucky. If you only applied through one source, you may want to apply somewhere else for a motorcycle loan (even if it means going with a second choice motorcycle). If you still can't get a motorcycle loan, but do get a "regular" bank loan, maybe it will be enough for whatever bike you want. However, don't put out too many applications- credit inquiries will lower your credit score (they drop your score for a year, but stay on the report for 2 years). You may need to limit yourself to motorcycles you can pay cash for this time and wait to finance one until you have a broader credit history.
jeff10236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:58 AM   #53
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff10236 View Post
How long have you had the credit cards? If you've only had the credit cards, then you are right, they are probably looking for a history with an installment loan before giving you a motorcycle loan. You may be able to get a small loan through a bank or your credit union, but an unsecured loan may be as hard to get as one that uses a luxury item as collateral (i.e. a motorcycle loan). If you can't get an unsecured loan through your bank or credit union, you may need to wait until you need a car and finance it (even if you can pay cash you probably should finance it and take at least a year or two to pay it off if you want your credit history to look better).
SnakeBite, I would strongly discourage you from getting a loan for a new(ish) bike right now. The reason: the majority of new riders drop their bikes. It's true -- it happens. While this may not necessarily happen to you, it is statistically likely that you will.

Now, I have seen new riders dump their first bikes while riding. If you do this and screw up your bike, you will have a screwed up bike that you will not want to fix. You'll be paying for a bike that you're not riding.

My advice: Save up about $1000 to $2000. There are plenty of great bikes to be had for 1-2K. Ride the piss out of it for 1-2 years. Make your mistakes and THEN go get your new bike.

FWIW, I bought my 1985 Honda Nighthawk CB700SC for $1300. It was in mint condition. My brother bought his 1992 Nighthawk 750 for $1000 in good condition. We both rode those bikes for two years and about 15,000 miles on each bike.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #54
SnakeBite
Registered Member

Alright guys, I know it's been a while since I've last posted here, but today I bought a used 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250. Unfortunately, they keys are lost so I took it to a locksmith to port some keys for me.

I'm thinking about performing some maintenance on the bike before I start riding it, is it worth taking to the dealer, or it'd better to find some cheaper mechanic around?
SnakeBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #55
SnakeBite
Registered Member

Alright guys, I know it's been a while since I've last posted here, but today I bought a used 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250. Unfortunately, they keys are lost so I took it to a locksmith to port some keys for me.

I'm thinking about performing some maintenance on the bike before I start riding it, is it worth taking to the dealer, or it'd better to find some cheaper mechanic around?
Old 12-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #56
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:

Take your chances, either way. Sometimes "Dealer" mechanics aren't quite the Pro's you'd expect them to be.

That, or look-around here: Ninja250 Howto - Ninja250Wiki and do it yourself.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:28 PM   #57
SnakeBite
Registered Member

That's a very good link. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:14 AM   #58
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Snakebite, you can likely do any routine maintence needed even with no previous experience. Google the issues if they arent easy, ask here (great talent on these boards), find other owners, or previous owners of that model & use common sence.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:50 PM   #59
SnakeBite
Registered Member

I got things going real smooth. The bike is working fine, it just needs an oil change, everything else looks fine for now.

I want to thank everyone of you who put the time to enlighten me, the Ninja 250 is really a good bike to start with, I think the 600cc+ route would have been dangerous. I really still feel that the 250cc is fast enough so far. I know that I will get used to it, but I'm looking to take things slowly rather than kill myself fast.

Thanks again.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:55 AM   #60
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
I got things going real smooth. The bike is working fine, it just needs an oil change, everything else looks fine for now.

I want to thank everyone of you who put the time to enlighten me, the Ninja 250 is really a good bike to start with, I think the 600cc+ route would have been dangerous. I really still feel that the 250cc is fast enough so far. I know that I will get used to it, but I'm looking to take things slowly rather than kill myself fast.

Thanks again.
Glad you are learning on that bike and not something bigger! The Ninja 250 is quite capable and can do both touring and track days. Keep us posted how things are going.