Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   New rider. Advice? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/15306-new-rider-advice.html)

12er 05-21-2010 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnakeBite (Post 242300)
I know it's very easy to drop a bike, but putting this as a definite thing to happen is just not right. I do believe that every rider can be extra cautious when learning, unless the student is too dumb to figure out that this bike could be dropped off easily, and I'm sure there are some out there who do that.

I dropped my $22k BMW just pulling out of the garage and flipping a 180 for a quick jaunt after 30 years of riding. It happens to us all. But much more likely for a new rider. When your new just your gear alone can side track you enough to forget putting the kickstand down. Or you dont fully extend it, foot hits oil (or wet grass in my case). So buy a beater and take your lumps, scratches on an old bike are much easier to accept that scratching your new baby.

ejis 05-21-2010 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12er (Post 242342)
When your new just your gear alone can side track you enough to forget putting the kickstand down. Or you dont fully extend it, foot hits oil (or wet grass in my case).

Or you're so accustomed to a certain way of getting going in the morning that when you remember you have to get something inside you forget that the stand is up and you drop your bike. Did this about 3 weeks ago.

Regarding application of logic and reasonableness, I assume everyone is as naturally sarcastic as I am. Then again, f'em if they can't take a joke. The brakes/tires comment was pretty well explained. But I'll reiterate anyway 'cause hey, why not. New tires are slick. Can be very slick. Some people talk about using steel wool or sandpaper or other cleaning agents; I just ride off the goop being careful for the first 100 mi or so. Brakes need to be bedded in and mated to the rotors. Until they wear in a little, they can be grabby or inconsistent in performance. Same goes for the clutch.

SnakeBite 05-21-2010 04:12 PM

Alright, thank you all for your input, you really provided with lots of valuable information.

I'll be going to the Kawasaki dealer tomorrow, and look at those 250rr. And if everything works out, then I'll be getting one :)
The only problem is that this dealership is too far from here, as this will require me to drive it on the highway which is not something I'm looking for, taking the backroads will make it 5 times longer, but probably 100 times safer, will see.

Thanks again,

olelar 05-22-2010 03:53 PM

Go with the Ninja250, the 600cc is not a bike for beginners, it has to much power. The car example JMcDonald made is a good one! It will also be a noticeable difference in the insurance.

Even if taking the backroads will take 5 times longer it will give you some freedome to try out the bike, get to know it a bit better than if you take the highway. Anyways let us know how it goes

jeff10236 05-22-2010 11:52 PM

How far is the dealer? You may be able to get them to deliver it for you if you aren't comfortable with riding it that far. Highway is actually pretty safe, but it may take some time to work up to being comfortable (it took me a couple weeks to work up to riding on the highway and I started last week with a couple short highway rides before taking my first relatively extended highway ride today). The backroads may make you feel more comfortable despite the extra distance, and as already said, it can give you some time to get to feel familiar with the bike.

JMcDonald 05-23-2010 06:18 AM

The first time I rode the bike I'm getting, 35MPH felt like I should have been on the autobahn. I would not want my first riding experience scary or uncomfortable.

SnakeBite 05-27-2010 06:20 AM

So I have been to the dealership and those guys didn't get me approved on financing for some reason, even though my credit score is 710.
The finance guy said that you didn't get approved because you never had a loan before, but I'm not sure how true is that. And he added, with these days we have strict policy on financing.
Anyway, I think I'll have to postpone that for a little bit now. :mad:

jeff10236 05-27-2010 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnakeBite (Post 242757)
So I have been to the dealership and those guys didn't get me approved on financing for some reason, even though my credit score is 710.
The finance guy said that you didn't get approved because you never had a loan before, but I'm not sure how true is that. And he added, with these days we have strict policy on financing.
Anyway, I think I'll have to postpone that for a little bit now. :mad:

Have you ever had any kind of loan? Student loans that are in repayment, credit cards, car loan, anything? If not, yeah, it will be hard to get financed regardless of what the score says (and I'm not sure how you'd get a 710 with no credit history- but when I worked in banks I don't recall ever having a credit app from someone with no credit history so I don't know what the score looks like when you first start).

If you truly have never had any credit before, then you will need to establish credit. "Luxury items" (i.e. not things that aren't seen as necessities by most people) tend to be a bit harder to finance- you need much better credit to finance an RV, boat or motorcycle than a car. So, even if you have just a little credit you may need to further establish it before getting a motorcycle loan.

If you've never had any kind of credit there are a few ways to get started. A gas card is probably best, then after 3-6 months you can get a department store card, and after 6-8 months you should be able to get a Mastercard or Visa. I don't really suggest a secured card that you can find on the internet, if you go with a secured Visa or Mastercard make sure you do it through your bank or credit union or they'll eat you up in fees. You can take a part-time job at a department store to get things started- many department stores require you use a store card for your employee discount, so they'll give you one regardless of your credit (and having a credit account that you pay every month is the only way to establish or build/rebuild your credit). Another way to start is a college card if you are student, though the federal government has recently made the rules governing this a bit stricter so I don't know the current details of these programs. Many car makers have first-time buyer programs where the requirements are a little more lax, if you have a good job and have never had a car loan you may qualify. Last, if your parents or another relative are willing, getting a co-signer is a great way to jump-start your credit (though it is a risk to the co-signer, you pay late and it kills their credit too).

SnakeBite 05-27-2010 06:48 AM

I actually have two credit cards, one of them is secured.
However, their limits are too low, but I keep debt-credit ratio low and do my payments on time, that explains my credit score I believe.
The only thing I'm worried about is collateral and history, as those are the downside of my credit.
I'll try to take a small loan and pay it off to improve my credit.

aalberti 05-27-2010 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 242190)
Or check out a Ducati 696. You may just find, like many people have, that the twins are a lot more usable and fun than the hi revving, low torque 4s.

I'm also a new rider, same boat as snakebite, and reallllly like the duc monsters (like an 05' 620cc). I know that Kawi, Yamaha, Suzuki, etc make "650r"s which have less power than the CBR, GSXR, but have the same cc's. Does this apply to the monster as well?