Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 05-20-2010, 09:24 AM   #21
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
But it's a Peniz Extenzion, Yo! Chicks dig a dude with a helmet bungee'd to the pillion, Dawg!
Dude. Yo. Be ridin a 600. Sucka nevah even warm up in fo' miles but we be stylin' yo! When you gettin' new grille AirDawg?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-20-2010, 09:33 AM   #22
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcDonald View Post
1) If you buy a used 250, you can sell it a year later for about what you paid for it, as long as you maintain it well (which would apply to any bike).

2) Again, check the insurance. It doesn't make sense that you are unwilling to sacrifice maybe a few hundred in the reselling of a smaller bike after a year, but are willing to blow thousands on insurance in the same time frame .

3) Most people think the '08+ Ninja 250Rs look quite good and modern. Besides, anyone who rides will respect your ride no matter what it is. If they don't, they they aren't worthy of your concern anyways.

Kawasaki makes some very modern and sporty-looking bikes that aren't pure race bikes. For example, the Ninja 650R looks the part and, while it will easily keep up with a 600cc 4-cyl to all legal U.S. speeds, isn't nearly as powerful (though as stated, plenty powerful to have lots of fun, and more than anyone "needs" who isn't highway racing).
Excellent post, JMcD!
Old 05-20-2010, 09:35 AM   #23
SnakeBite
Registered Member

I'm pretty convinced that I need something smaller.
The question is, should it be Ninja250r or 650r? I don't like the 500cc.
SnakeBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:51 AM   #24
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Excellent post, JMcD!
Excellent use of facts/data!
Old 05-20-2010, 09:56 AM   #25
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Dude. Yo. Be ridin a 600. Sucka nevah even warm up in fo' miles but we be stylin' yo! When you gettin' new grille AirDawg?
Soon'z that Ho' a mine Welfare Check come in, yo! Ima get a Gold Toof wit' a big-arz Diamont rite in the midle, yo.

You know I be stylin' when Ima Ridin' Dirtee!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:37 AM   #26
JMcDonald
Registered Member

I do agree the 500cc looks like something Tom Cruise would have ridden in Top Gun :P .

If you want something you will be able to grow into for a long (long) time, the 650 might be a better. If you plan on doing a lot of highway riding, the 650 might be better.

But, like I said, the 250r is about the cheapest modern "sport" bike there is regarding fuel, maintenance, original purchase price, and insurance. Not to mention the lack of power and low price means a few less things to worry about when getting going on street bikes.

Remember, nobody is trying to keep you from looking cool or whatever. What we are doing, however, is trying to keep you from being another statistic that makes the rest of our insurance so high. This has nothing to do with you as an individual, just that there is absolutely no substitute for experience, which goes doubly so for handling especially powerful (or heavy) bikes.

Here is a snip of mine from another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcDonald
I grew up on dirt bikes, and I have a few experiences of how a too-powerful bike can easily get away from you--and that's even with lots of experience! The worst one was I was in 2nd gear on a hand-me-down CR250. I went over some rocks that were a little bigger than they initially looked, causing me to bounce backward on the seat. That rear motion caused me to yank the throttle, causing me to slide further back, causing me to yank the throttle more, ad nauseum. In no more than two seconds, I was doing 30 MPH when I was originally doing less than 10, the front wheel was floating directly above the rear wheel, and I was flying through the air, face-up. I was just lucky to be on dirt instead of pavement, and wearing full motocross gear, and to get off with a bruised tailbone and the wind knocked out of me.

Within seconds, my stepdad on his new torquey CRF450 had that get away from him, and he ended up with a dislocated shoulder (that fortunately popped back into place during the fall, as we later learned). So, we both layed there for a while, regretting our overly-powerful bikes, until the pain had subsided enough to putt back to the Jeep so we could wrestle the bikes back onto the trailer and I could drive us home.

We subsequently got rid the CRF450 and got a CR125 for me, and he went back to the 250 which was already plenty powerful (could already snap the back end sideways in 4th gear, and wheely in 5th with just throttle).

You won't know a bike is too powerful until you end up hovering over it at a high rate of speed.
JMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:48 AM   #27
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcDonald View Post
I do agree the 500cc looks like something Tom Cruise would have ridden in Top Gun :P .
Uhm.... yeah - 'cuz the bike is essentially unchanged ('cept for some slight changes in '93!) since its inception in '85 or '86.

But, kudos to Kawasaki for still offering it. The tooling has been amortized for about 2 decades, every one they make is stupid-profitable compared to the latest ZX-6. But, it's exactly what we need to see MORE of. If only Kawi would update the suspension, freshen the looks, and mebbe address a few NVH issues.

The EX500 was slated for a Buelling about 4 years-ago, but I'm glad they've held on to it.

Good, solid, dependable bike: with decent power and acceptable fondling.

The 250R is still the same as IT'S older sibling "beneath the skin" - but for suspension, styling, and a few NVH and rideability "corrections".

Come on Kawasaki: would it be so hard to do the same for the 500?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 05-20-2010 at 10:51 AM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:29 AM   #28
SnakeBite
Registered Member

Some valuable info in this thread, thank you guys.

Seems to me that the Ninja 250r is the bike that suits my needs for now?

Anyway, I got a deal on one of these for $3800 Out of the door price, and $5450 DO price for the 650r, are these any good deals?
SnakeBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:01 PM   #29
JMcDonald
Registered Member

The price on the 250r does seem pretty good. However, I would absolutely not recmmend a new bike, especially given you have already expressed the potential desire to upgrade in the future. If you sell it a year from now, you will probably only get like low 3ks for it in mint condition, but even less after you lay it down in a couple driveways or parking lots :P (which I expect myself to do as well).
JMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #30
pushrod
Founding Member

+1, Snakebite. Buy a used bike. Pay a good mechanic to check it out before you buy it.

It has already lost it's 'new' price, and so you won't lose that when you decide to sell it in a year.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote