Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   New rider. Advice? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/15306-new-rider-advice.html)

JMcDonald 05-19-2010 09:32 AM

I'm not sure what you mean, but yeah in most any car it's not a big deal. Just saying, the same slight mistake on an overly-powerful bike could end in much more than a few odd looks from neighboring cars.

Dr_Sprocket 05-19-2010 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 242032)
I'd disagree with Dr.S only a bit. I think the Suzuki SV-650 can be a great 'starter' bike, and the Dual Purpose bikes up to that displacement as well.

I stand corrected. Actually, I'm sitting, but I digress...

I really don't place the Suzuki SV-650 in the same class as the current crop of inline four cylinder machines. While quite powerful, the SV-650 is closer to what I think riders should be starting on, versus the inline-4s.

ejis 05-19-2010 07:32 PM

The SV isn't a terrible first bike - small-ish, light, ubiquitous. But the motor is very torquey, even if it doesn't have gobs of power. It will easily wheelie on you if you're clumsy with the clutch, as mine did to my friend in a parking lot while he was learning.

seruzawa 05-19-2010 08:38 PM

I'm not sure what people are saying but an SV650 does in fact have gobs of power. Maybe it's this American "gotta have the biggest gun" syndrome but, seriously, even if the bigger bikes have 150 hp or more it doesn't change the fact that a 70hp SV650 will kill you as quickly as a ZX14 if you don't respect it. It is faster than any car you can afford and will reach 100 mph in a few seconds. Treat it as anything but a performance machine and you will be in the hurt locker mos rikitik.

SnakeBite 05-20-2010 09:22 AM

Thanks for the info guys.

However, I'm very careful when it comes to my health generally, so driving a bike immaturely isn't something I'm looking for. I wanted to get ZX6r, CBR or YZF because they look cooler at the first place, second, I don't wanna end up buying a bike and then trading it after few months, as this is not cost effective.
I know it's wiser to start with something smaller, maybe 650r or SV, but if I do get one of those sporty 600cc, is there a way to drive it carefully, or it'll just be so hard to handle it? Typically, there is no way for me to drive these bikes on the highway, I'd rather use it to commute work/home which is 4 miles away from my home, and probably go for a ride around the neighborhood on evenings.

The_AirHawk 05-20-2010 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnakeBite (Post 242167)

However, I'm very careful when it comes to my health generally, so driving a bike immaturely isn't something I'm looking for. I wanted to get ZX6r, CBR or YZF because they look cooler at the first place, second, I don't wanna end up buying a bike and then trading it after few months, as this is not cost effective.
I know it's wiser to start with something smaller, maybe 650r or SV, but if I do get one of those sporty 600cc, is there a way to drive it carefully, or it'll just be so hard to handle it? Typically, there is no way for me to drive these bikes on the highway, I'd rather use it to commute work/home which is 4 miles away from my home, and probably go for a ride around the neighborhood on evenings.

Sure wouldn't want to lose any money on your Investment, no siree-bob.

Dr_Sprocket 05-20-2010 10:18 AM

SnakeBite, PM (personal message) Sartorius and ask him about starting out on sport bikes.

We are all giving you real-deal, no BS advice here. Unless you are a huge guy, get the Ninja 250 or 500 or any old Japanese motorcycle and ride it for a year. Once you've gotten your dropping, cracking of the plastic, and scratching of the muffler out of your system, then go out and get your 600cc supersport.

seruzawa 05-20-2010 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnakeBite (Post 242167)

There is probably not a worse bike for the riding you describe than a full-on sport600. The power curve puts all the power in the high rev range and while not as on/off as a two stroke it's still pretty sudden. Unless you are going to be running around 100 mph a lot a sport600 is pretty much just a waste of capability. If you simply must get a 600 then go for an older midrange model like the YZF600 or the CBR600F4 which may give up a few (very few) hp but have more reasonable power delivery. Stay away from the full on RRs.

Or check out a Ducati 696. You may just find, like many people have, that the twins are a lot more usable and fun than the hi revving, low torque 4s.

The_AirHawk 05-20-2010 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 242190)
There is probably not a worse bike for the riding you describe than a full-on sport600. The power curve puts all the power in the high rev range and while not as on/off as a two stroke it's still pretty sudden. Unless you are going to be running around 100 mph a lot a sport600 is pretty much just a waste of capability. If you simply must get a 600 then go for an older midrange model like the YZF600 or the CBR600F4 which may give up a few (very few) hp but have more reasonable power delivery. Stay away from the full on RRs.

Or check out a Ducati 696. It's got stump pulling torque compared to the 4s.

But it's a Peniz Extenzion, Yo! Chicks dig a dude with a helmet bungee'd to the pillion, Dawg!

JMcDonald 05-20-2010 10:22 AM

1) If you buy a used 250, you can sell it a year later for about what you paid for it, as long as you maintain it well (which would apply to any bike).

2) Again, check the insurance. It doesn't make sense that you are unwilling to sacrifice maybe a few hundred in the reselling of a smaller bike after a year, but are willing to blow thousands on insurance in the same time frame :) .

3) Most people think the '08+ Ninja 250Rs look quite good and modern. Besides, anyone who rides will respect your ride no matter what it is. If they don't, they they aren't worthy of your concern anyways.

Kawasaki makes some very modern and sporty-looking bikes that aren't pure race bikes. For example, the Ninja 650R looks the part and, while it will easily keep up with a 600cc 4-cyl to all legal U.S. speeds, isn't nearly as powerful (though as stated, plenty powerful to have lots of fun, and more than anyone "needs" who isn't highway racing).

Ninja 250R:

Ninja 650R: