Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 05-19-2010, 04:47 PM   #21
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff10236 View Post
For jeans, I'll probably buy the Brosh and get the additional protection of the Kevlar lining, but for when it is too warm for overpants and I need something other than jeans, I'm going with the double front Carhartt.

Carhartt - Product - Men’s Double-Front Work Dungaree
Thanks for the link. I had never thought of using work dungarees as motorcycle pants. Learn something new every day!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-20-2010, 07:12 AM   #22
JMcDonald
Registered Member

I guess I was really wanting protection equivalent to what my jacket provides (hard armor in shoulders and elbows, soft armor on back), but in pants. However, I realize that to get such protection in pants would not only be prohibitively expensive for just casual riding, but would be very hard to find sized well enough to work, and most of them look like the lower half of a track suit, which would look a little ridiculous in Walmart.

So, I might go back to the idea of knee / shin guards and a few good sets of shorts, like these:
Alpinestars Bionic Freeride Shorts - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

However, I might still get one pair of good abrasion-resistant full riding pants for when I am out riding just to be out riding.

Last edited by JMcDonald : 05-20-2010 at 10:13 AM.
JMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:22 PM   #23
jeff10236
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Thanks for the link. I had never thought of using work dungarees as motorcycle pants. Learn something new every day!
Yeah, I noticed several people on another forum mention it, and they also had an ongoing ad on that forum, so I decided to look into it. I wouldn't trust the regular work pants (12oz of material for most of the models that aren't jeans and 15oz for the jeans just doesn't seem like enough- no better than Levis), but I thought the double front may be worth a try (doubling up on the material in the locations where you'd most likely drag on the pavement might help). It is unfortunate that the link where they explain the claim that it was "reviewed as the best value motorcycle pant available" doesn't work (I'd be curious about what magazine said so, and what tests were done).

I figure motorcycle pants will be best when riding just to ride, but I wanted something more than jeans but that look like normal pants when going somewhere and just using my motorcycle like any other vehicle. For rides to work or to the store when it is too warm for leather overpants I figure something with more protection than jeans would be nice. I am really looking forward to getting the Brosh jeans, they seem to look like normal jeans from the photos but with the Kevlar in the hips and knees and you can put knee armor in them, but until then (and when I need something that doesn't look like blue denim jeans) I figured I'd give the Carhartts a try.
jeff10236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #24
JMcDonald
Registered Member

K, I just ordered a couple pairs of those Brosh pants. They seem like a hell of a deal if they are really as good as they advertise. The video of the guy being towed across the parking lot on his butt definitely sold me.

I didn't see the link at first because I was on my phone when I read that post. I am glad I didn't order anything else!

I am still going to probably buy a pair or two of those riding shorts to go under my pants eventually, but these should tide me over for now.

I rode my bike for the first time today. About 33 miles winding through my parents' big neighborhood and I literally used like 1/4 of a gallon. This hobby is cheap as hell to feed but the accessories are killer! Haha.

Thanks for that link again!
JMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote