Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 05-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #11
JMcDonald
Registered Member

I do have a pair of overpants, but I wouldn't want to walk around all day at school with two pairs of pants on, and I wasn't excited about carrying them around all day (after trying to find some spot to put them on / take them off) in addition to my jacket / helmet / gloves. I will wear them to work for both the protection and to keep my dress pants dry / clean, but only because I can take them off when I get there and leave them in the lounge.

But, I will look more into it. Though, I do kinda like that separate knee pads will provide far more protection than even the thickest fabrics.

Icon Field Armor Knee/Shin Guards - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Last edited by JMcDonald : 05-16-2010 at 09:05 PM.
JMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2010, 07:54 AM   #12
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

If you put a tank bag on you could store the knee/shin armor in there or carry a back pack.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:50 AM   #13
JMcDonald
Registered Member

Yeah I plan on carrying a pack everywhere (I already do when riding my bicycle anyways).

I might start off with some cheap knee pads and the denim shorts. I bought some 10oz denim yesterday to make a pair or two of undershorts, which was like $8. If I buy a basic pair of knee pads I might end up only spending like $25 on this setup. That way I can get started without having to spend hundreds of dollars on pants just to have a decent wardrobe going.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:37 AM   #14
jeff10236
Registered Member

There are a few options if you want "normal" pants that make good motorcycle pants and aren't overly expensive:

-Brosh. This is an Israeli company that makes a few options at decent prices. They have Kevlar reinforced jeans that look like regular jeans for $65 plus shipping and Kevlar reinforced cargo pants for $70 plus shipping. They also have pockets for knee armor and they sell that for an additional $22 plus shipping.

Sun Glasses - Motorcycle jackets and clothing

-Carhartt has a number of styles of work pants and jeans that have a second panel on the front. They even say that they make a pocket to put knee protection in and that some of the models have been voted a "best value" motorcycle pant (I'm not sure by whom). They have all kinds of sizes, and the prices aren't bad. They look like work pants, but they will look relatively normal, aren't overly expensive, and will provide a higher level of protection than Levis or other standard jeans.

Carhartt - Category - Dungaree Fit

I currently have a pair of $100 leather overpants from Leather Up (you can always take them off in the parking lot if you have to). I'm probably going to try one each of the Brosh and the Carhartt, though I may go with a $50-80 pair of chaps for summer use.
jeff10236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:57 AM   #15
JMcDonald
Registered Member

Hmm thanks for that link! At 15oz, would denim alone (not reinforced) withstand a mild slide?
Carhartt - Product - Men’s Relaxed Fit Jean

*edit*

And I just made a pair of preliminary "shorts." They go from above my waist (they stick out above my belt) to about my knee. The design is open, with my crotch and inner thighs left uncovered. I put my jeans on over them and while they are a bit tight around the lower thighs where they are enclosed, they don't seem prohibitive or distracting, and I could probably wear them all day (I am going to, actually, heh). Will post a pic in a sec.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:09 PM   #16
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcDonald View Post
Will post a pic in a sec.
Ah, NO Dude! Not pics of the Open Crotch!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:31 PM   #17
JMcDonald
Registered Member

Hahahahaha don't worry, I would wear at least a banana hammock under it...... :P

Though, reading all those crash / rash stories out there definitely makes me just want to bite the bullet and buy three or four pairs of kevlar or leather riding pants and call it GOOD. Almost every single crash story I see would have left the rider with nothing but a few bruises had they had a decent layer of protection between their skin and the road. If nothing else, I'd rather have JUST broken bones than broken bones AND a coming skin graft!

And I still might grab myself a set of cheap knee pads for highway trips .
Old 05-17-2010, 12:52 PM   #18
JMcDonald
Registered Member

Okay, yeah, Im just gonna get a few pairs of good riding pants and know I am doing the best I can to protect myself.

Besides, I don't think I'd mind walking around in full gear . If I need to ride the bike somewhere which requires nicer pants (a restaurant, work, etc), i'll just wear the overpants.

Last edited by JMcDonald : 05-17-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:00 AM   #19
jeff10236
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcDonald View Post
Hmm thanks for that link! At 15oz, would denim alone (not reinforced) withstand a mild slide?
Carhartt - Product - Men’s Relaxed Fit Jean

*edit*

And I just made a pair of preliminary "shorts." They go from above my waist (they stick out above my belt) to about my knee. The design is open, with my crotch and inner thighs left uncovered. I put my jeans on over them and while they are a bit tight around the lower thighs where they are enclosed, they don't seem prohibitive or distracting, and I could probably wear them all day (I am going to, actually, heh). Will post a pic in a sec.
The 15oz denim is just a tad thicker than Levis (12-14oz depending upon the version). I would want more.

I was thinking the double front pants (I think they only have them in the "dungaree" cut). The options include a basic 12oz pant with an additional Condura panel on the front, and denim work pants and jeans ranging up to 15oz denim plus the front panel (30oz of denim on the front of your legs would be nice).

A coworker has a pair of the Carhartt workpants and they look decent. He can get away with them in a business casual environment (they are brown and look casual, but with the color they don't look like blue denim jeans and they work). The hammer loop isn't even a big deal (how that would look kind of worried me, but it isn't bad).

I'm either going to go with the 12oz canvas plus Condura or the 12oz cotton duck material with the double front (24oz of heavy cotton on much of the front) for work. For jeans, I'll probably buy the Brosh and get the additional protection of the Kevlar lining, but for when it is too warm for overpants and I need something other than jeans, I'm going with the double front Carhartt.

Carhartt - Product - Men’s Double-Front Work Dungaree
jeff10236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:27 AM   #20
JMcDonald
Registered Member

Ah thanks for that info.

I think I will go with a couple pairs of jeans like these:
Shift Racing Lodown Jeans - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

And maybe a pair or two of more specifically-designed pants, perhaps like these (to wear them by themselves, not as overpants):
Icon ARC Overpants - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Last edited by JMcDonald : 05-19-2010 at 09:31 AM.