Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 05-12-2010, 04:20 AM   #1
The stranger
Registered Member

Default Temporary upgrade to a 600cc for advanced course?

Hi everyone,

As some of you know, I currently ride a 125cc standard bike and signed up for a full day advanced riding course this coming Sunday. I got a call back from the riding school telling me riding the 125cc might be an issue as we'll be on a track and the other bikes will most likely be much sportier and faster. I didn't know it would be an issue until I got a call back from them, and unfortunately I can't get a refund for the course.

For safety reasons, I may have to swap my bike for a 600cc for the day (Yamaha Diversion or FZ6) which are owned by the school. I'm nervous about switching to a 600cc since I've only been riding the 125cc for 6 months (only 4'000 km). I've heard the Diversion and FZ6 are not too intimidating for beginners, but they weigh almost twice as much as the bike I own, and it'll be the first time I ride either one of these bikes. I'm still waiting for another call back from the school to confirm as they're waiting for an answer from the instructor.

Would it be a bad idea to go ahead and do the course on a 600cc? I'd especially like to hear for anyone who owns either of the two bikes!

Thanks in advance!
The stranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2010, 06:37 AM   #2
JMcDonald
Registered Member

You already have a feel for the mechanics of riding, so it shouldn't be difficult for you to adjust to the weight and power. Just take it slow from the start.

The first street motorcycle I ever rode, coming from 200lb dirtbikes, was my dad's 600lb, 1100cc Honda. It definitely felt alien, and was a little scary, but it wasn't a big deal. I just made sure to shift at like 2000rpm heh.
JMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:59 AM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

A professional school and track environment is the perfect place for you to ride a 600 the first time. You're a lucky guy; when it's over you'll probably have learned more techniques than 90% of the riders out there. Of course, there is no substitute for experience, but you'll have a solid foundation to build on.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:24 AM   #4
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

What Ken said. (+1)
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:36 AM   #5
acecycleins
Founding Member

The Diversion is a great bike to step into. Trust the school and you'll come out a better rider.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:36 AM   #6
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Goforit. A Healthy Respect for the 600 is vital. I think you'll do fine.

As Ken said: perfect place to introduce yourself to a "fast" bike. No cars, dogs, lightpoles, trees, etc. to jump out in front of you. Of course, if you're in the Southwest you still might have to contend with Javelinas now and again...........

Aim for the "squishy" part of them. They're small.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:39 AM   #7
The stranger
Registered Member

Hi everyone, thank you for the responses and encouragement! I got a call back from the school, I'll definitely be doing the course on a 600. They told me the instructors are careful to keep in mind each student's level of skill so I'll make sure they're aware it'll be my first time on a big bike.

And fortunately I think I won't have to wrry about javelinas on the track

Thanks again!
The stranger is offline   Reply With Quote