Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 05-11-2010, 07:52 PM   #21
aalberti
Registered Member

The_AirHawk --> could you by any chance give me the name of that 88 honda hawk forum? I reaaallly like the 88 hawk
aalberti is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2010, 10:11 PM   #22
richel.xiang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
Read the new rider sticky. Then, after you take the MSF BRC course, get a used Ninja 250 and ride that for a year. Then upgrade. To something like an SV650S. Ride that for another year or two, take some track days, and then get a CBR600.

Getting a CBR600 as your first bike is a *bad* idea that can easily get you killed. You need seat time on a much more forgiving bike.
Totally agree with him.

Last edited by richel.xiang : 05-11-2010 at 10:13 PM.
richel.xiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:18 PM   #23
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Honda Hawk GT Forum - Powered by Honda Hawk GT / Bros riders

And the mailing-Listserv: lister@hawkgt.net

And finally, the Home of the HawkGT: http://www.hawkgt.com/
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:09 AM   #24
aalberti
Registered Member

the airhhawk --> sweet thanks a lot, appreciate it
Old 05-16-2010, 06:16 PM   #25
aalberti
Registered Member

New Question!

I've been looking around at more older bikes, 04' - 88', and I've been wondering, how well do bikes keep their power? I realize there can be a lot of variables, but if the bike seems well kept, lowish miles (less than 8500), does the bike keep its power? Does a 600cc bike become a 500cc bike? Or a 400cc? Or do they keep their power relatively well?
Old 05-22-2010, 04:02 PM   #26
olelar
Registered Member

I have to agree that getting a 600cc is not a good idea for a first time bike, it doesn't matter how much awreness you have, that is dangerous. Get a used 250 to start with and you'll be on your way to getting a 600 :P as JMcDonald mentioned, get some experience and the insurance price will go way down
olelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:27 AM   #27
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalberti View Post
New Question!

I've been looking around at more older bikes, 04' - 88', and I've been wondering, how well do bikes keep their power? I realize there can be a lot of variables, but if the bike seems well kept, lowish miles (less than 8500), does the bike keep its power? Does a 600cc bike become a 500cc bike? Or a 400cc? Or do they keep their power relatively well?
Bikes can lose some compression, which will result in less power as they age, but for your purposes they will not loose enough power equal to a larger displacement bike.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:11 PM   #28
aalberti
Registered Member

dr sprocket --> thanks for the response!

what does anyone think about rebuilding an older bike? like an old triumph or honda or kawasaki or something? anyone have any suggestions on good old bikes to rebuild?
Old 06-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #29
FlagDownRR
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalberti View Post
dr sprocket --> thanks for the response!

what does anyone think about rebuilding an older bike? like an old triumph or honda or kawasaki or something? anyone have any suggestions on good old bikes to rebuild?
I wouldn't reccomend that, especially if you are new to riding. Assuming you have no experience building a bike, you are gonna go in way over your head. And you don't want to ride an old Triumph. You need to learn on a newer bike, or an old american bike. On older British bikes you shift with your right foot. You should learn with your left foot first as any bike you buy now will be that way. Once you become a more experienced rider then you could start looking at restoring bikes or riding older british bikes. For now you should listen to the advice everyone is giving you and start with either an old hawk like you said or something like that (try a kawasaki kz-440). Or if you want a bike that feels like a 600 (in terms of body style) get the Ninja. You are a new rider, start as a new rider, don't go jumping the gun to restoring old bikes and riding old race bikes.
FlagDownRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:02 PM   #30
aalberti
Registered Member

FlagDownRR --> Yeah I thought that I may of been getting in over my head there.... Thanks for the conformation!