Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   New Rider - College Student (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/15143-new-rider-college-student.html)

Borge 05-10-2010 01:31 AM

RE:New Rider - College Student
 
Hey guy! if you wanna make a excellent rider so firstly you need to confidence because confidence helps you will come automatically guts to ride 600 cc bikes and second is practice is also must these two things is very essential and we should keep in mind then put in practically when you will drive . That"s it i hope you got it.

car lease

jeff10236 05-10-2010 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aalberti (Post 240714)
jeff10236 --> I've read about the ninja 500 but don't like the styling. I also have a friend who rides a ninja 600r as his first bike. He says its a "sport" bike and not a "super sport" bike. He said the difference is that the r has a lower seat and is narrower than the super sport, also that the super sport is faster than the r. I like the styling of 600r and am trying to do a little more research on it. Any advice with the sort of thing?
And thanks for the tip on gear, I'll definitely keep that in mind!

The 600r may have a parallel twin and not a 4cyl and may technically not be a supersport, from most of what I've read even the 600 and 650cc sports bikes are too much for most beginners. People tend to be pretty conservative in their suggestions here, but on another forum I frequent where they are much less conservative people still only suggest 600-650cc sports bikes as first road bikes for those with fairly significant motorcycle experience off road (some there suggested 1100cc cruisers as a starter bike- it seems that cruisers are geared differently and the engines are tuned differently, so one can go bigger than sportsbikes, but 1100 :eek: , they definitely aren't conservative in their first bike suggestions there).

If I was looking at sports bikes, and didn't like the design of the Ninja 500, I'd probably get a new or new style used Ninja 250 and plan to sell it in a year or two (you'll be able to sell it for around what you paid so you won't lose much, and what you do lose will be a more than reasonable cost for relatively safe learning). If you really don't want to go that way, check out a used Suzuki SV500 or another standard (most of the current standards look a lot like a "naked" sports bike). If you must go 600ish, maybe a Suzuki SV650, Gladius or V-Strom 650 or a Kawasaki Versys (all seem to be occasionally suggested to very confident beginners). While a little underpowered, the Buell Blasts make a nice starter bike, they aren't too cramped (they are 500cc bikes and I found them more than big enough for my 5'11" 290LB frame during the Rider's Edge course), they look relatively sporty, and they are very reasonable in cost, especially now that Harley Davidson has discontinued the entire Buell line (used they are well under $3K, and if you can find a new one still out there even the new ones are priced quite reasonably).

Dr_Sprocket 05-10-2010 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff10236 (Post 241342)
While a little underpowered, the Buell Blasts make a nice starter bike, they aren't too cramped (they are 500cc bikes and I found them more than big enough for my 5'11" 290LB frame during the Rider's Edge course), they look relatively sporty, and they are very reasonable in cost, especially now that Harley Davidson has discontinued the entire Buell line (used they are well under $3K, and if you can find a new one still out there even the new ones are priced quite reasonably).

Excellent advice! The Blast is a capable, but oft overlooked bike.

As others have said before, the Ninja 250 is a very capable beginner bike. There is actually some video on YouTube of a Ninja 250 keeping up some 600cc sport bikes, showing that it's not the tool but the way you use it.

aalberti 05-10-2010 11:07 PM

I have put lots of thought and consideration into the ninja 250 and have actually come to like it. But I have always had a liking for the "naked" bikes. But, I have had trouble finding naked bikes that I really like that aren't overpowering. I really like the idea of a 500cc bike, something that is in between to 250 and the 600s.
I tried looking around for the suzuki sv500 but couldn't really find much. From the pix I did see, I do like it. The Buell is cool too.

Any other naked bikes that lie in the 500cc range?

aalberti 05-10-2010 11:24 PM

I've also come to like the 1988 Honda hawk, any opinions on that bike? Or similar bikes of its stature?

jeff10236 05-11-2010 04:30 AM

I think I may have blended the names of two Suzuki bikes, the current SV group (like the SV650) and the older GS. Take a look for the GS500 and I'm sure you'll find a lot. The GS500F (which I think is a current model) has a fairing and looks like a sports bike, but the other models are "naked".

As for the Honda, from most of what I've read, you can't go wrong with a mid-to-late '80s Honda if it is in good condition. Kawasakis from that vintage seem to be just as good. Suzukis of that age probably aren't any less reliable, but finding parts may not be as easy as with the Hondas and Kawasakis.

acecycleins 05-11-2010 07:00 AM

Get yourself a Yamaha T-Max 500 maxi-scooter. They're all the rage. Faster than most scooters. Handles better than all scooters. Can carry all your books or groceries and you can get cool givi accessories and a Leo Vince pipe for it.

The_AirHawk 05-11-2010 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aalberti (Post 241423)
I've also come to like the 1988 Honda hawk, any opinions on that bike? Or similar bikes of its stature?

The '88 to '91 HawkGTs are really good starter bikes - in stock/sorted-stock form. I happen to know of a few for sale, and there's an entire Community out there (of which I'm one of) that surrounds the little bikes with support.

As far as capability - one won the AMA Lightweight Twins class last year at Daytona over SVs, Ninja 500s and 650s, and Ducati 800s........ (Go Gino!)

And, as a Plus - they crash really well! Usually a few levers, a new peg, a new signal or two, and bang the shifter or brake back straight and you're off down the road again.

Very Important for a new, no-funds Rider.

seruzawa 05-11-2010 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 241434)
The '88 to '91 HawkGTs are really good starter bikes - in stock/sorted-stock form. I happen to know of a few for sale, and there's an entire Community out there (of which I'm one of) that surrounds the little bikes with support.

As far as capability - one won the AMA Lightweight Twins class last year at Daytona over SVs, Ninja 500s and 650s, and Ducati 800s........ (Go Gino!)

And, as a Plus - they crash really well! Usually a few levers, a new peg, a new signal or two, and bang the shifter or brake back straight and you're off down the road again.

Very Important for a new, no-funds Rider.

What happened to your Boss Hoss recommendation? You are slipping.

The_AirHawk 05-11-2010 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 241435)
What happened to your Boss Hoss recommendation? You are slipping.

Sorry man - the Benadryl I'm taking for this cold has me all muddle-headed.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go operate some Heavy Equipment.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:24 PM.