Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 04-30-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
JMcDonald
Registered Member

Default Bike Security in my Apartment's Parking Lot?

I live in Norman, Oklahoma, rated by Money Magazine as the 6th best city in which to live, around 100k. Crime is not really a problem around here, really. However, I live in a relatively low-income apartment complex, in one of the lower-income areas of town (it's not bad, and it's surrounded by decent neighborhoods, but it's not a gated community, either). It is a small apartment, though (maybe like 30 units in one building) and the people are pretty quiet, though, and there isn't a lot of foot traffic in the area.

I've been doing a good bit of reading on motorcycle security, and have come to understand that nothing is guaranteed. However, most seem to agree that having redundant security devices is a big ticket.

So, I am thinking I will probably go with a two-way alarm system, as well as a chain lock that I can just leave around the pole / tree where I would park, and lock the bike to said fixed object. On top of that, I will probably get a bike cover to put on at night. Does that sound like a good start?

So, two questions:
1) It seems most chains are sized to simply lock the wheels together to prevent it from rolling, but I've personally seen a motorcycle lifted into a truck (no malicious purpose, just for transport) but a few strong guys. So, I definitely want it locked to an immobile object. Are the 5' chains long enough to get the bike around the frame of a sportbike (ninja 250) and around the anchor? I was looking at the Fahgettaboudit chain set for about $125+ shipping.
Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Chain with Disc Lock - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

2) Most basic alarms seem pretty good at detecting tilt and shock, and can be had for around $100. Are the more expensive models with the 2-way pagers more secure alternatives? How effective / helpful are they? I was looking at the Gorrila Alarms:
Standard, $99:
Gorilla Cycle Alarm with Remote - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore
With 2-way Payer, $206:
Gorilla Cycle Alarm with 2-Way Paging System - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Thanks for the help, guys.

*edit*

I work at a smaller bank, so I am never more than like 40 or 50 feet away from where I'd park my bike. I park next to a short iron fence, and I was thinking about getting a cheaper lock for there also, just to potentially give me a little more time to get out there if somebody tries something. A couple months ago my boss happened to leave her car unlocked and somebody stole everything out of it, in the middle of the day, so there are definitely prowlers walking around out there and I'd hate for one of them to think it would be an easy grab.

Last edited by JMcDonald : 04-30-2010 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Title.
JMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

A have a cousin who is a career criminal and who told me all about car/bike theft. Pro thieves are looking for the easy mark. If you have a big chain lock to a fence post and an alarm they will usually give your bike a pass. Best is to ride an old bike or park next to a much nicer one than yours.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

There's some new technology out there that uses GPS to provide the same bike locating capability that LoJack has with their radio setup. It's 2010 for cryin' out loud. Take advantage of This Modern World. Plus with this setup, you not only save your bike, but you get to whup ass on the sucker that took it!

Motorcycle GPS Tracking System - GPS Protected

Guidepoint Systems :: Stolen Motorcycle Recovery
Old 05-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
JMcDonald
Registered Member

How much will those run me?
Old 05-03-2010, 07:07 AM   #5
JMcDonald
Registered Member

Would a bike cover help also? I feel like it would, since unless they were really good they would try to remove the cover before stealing the bike, which would set off the warning alarm, no?
Old 05-03-2010, 07:39 AM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

a decent chain to a post or tree will deter casual thieves, if your bike is unique or in high demand about the only thing that will help you is a good insurance policy. I've seen surveillance video of four guys picking up a 800+ lb Harley dresser and stuffing it in a box van. An iron bar through the front and rear wheels, two guys per side and just pick the bike up and walk it into a the van..... gone in less than 60 seconds. Not much you can do about that level of expertise I'm afraid..

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:56 AM   #7
JMcDonald
Registered Member

It is a 2009 Ninja 250R.

And actually, I just did a quick Progressive quote and comprehensive insurance was much cheaper than I expected. It only added like $120 to the yearly policy, so perhaps I will just go that route.

Then, on top of that, out of an alarm and a chain, which single one would be better? A big chain would make it difficult to do a quick grab, but if they are quiet and persistant, thieves could get it cut and quietly move my bike into their truck. On the other hand, an alarm (with pager) would alert me to someone trying to steal it, and would also protect the bike anywhere I went, which is something I do REALLY like (on some cruising trips, we stay at some pretty rugged motels--like $27 / night rugged--and an alarm would provide a bit of reassurance in those cases where I wouldn't have a 15lb lock and chain with me).

Though, I suppose another $100-$200 for the additional protection of both systems is a small price to pay for that extra piece of mind of having my vehicle there when I go out to ride to school or work. Not to mention it would be a one-time purchase and I could use those items for future bikes as well.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:05 AM   #8
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcDonald View Post
It is a 2009 Ninja 250R.

And actually, I just did a quick Progressive quote and comprehensive insurance was much cheaper than I expected. It only added like $120 to the yearly policy, so perhaps I will just go that route.

Then, on top of that, out of an alarm and a chain, which single one would be better? A big chain would make it difficult to do a quick grab, but if they are quiet and persistant, thieves could get it cut and quietly move my bike into their truck. On the other hand, an alarm (with pager) would alert me to someone trying to steal it, and would also protect the bike anywhere I went, which is something I do REALLY like (on some cruising trips, we stay at some pretty rugged motels--like $27 / night rugged--and an alarm would provide a bit of reassurance in those cases where I wouldn't have a 15lb lock and chain with me).

Though, I suppose another $100-$200 for the additional protection of both systems is a small price to pay for that extra piece of mind of having my vehicle there when I go out to ride to school or work. Not to mention it would be a one-time purchase and I could use those items for future bikes as well.
XENA Motorcycle Security: disc-lock alarms for motorcycles, scooters and ATVS

As an isurance agent I can tell you that if you put a security system on the bike you will get a 5% discount for the alarm from most companies. Adding the Comp to your policy is a good idea, but this lock is cheap and loud. I'd ask the Apartment manager if you can drill a floor mounted eye-bolt to the parking space for a coated chain and masterlock. Most will say yes if it doesn't impede the wheels of any other vehicle.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:37 AM   #9
JMcDonald
Registered Member

Are you saying that would be a good alternative to a standalone alarm, or a chain, or both? Or are you saying that would be good in addition to those things?
Old 05-03-2010, 10:12 AM   #10
acecycleins
Founding Member

An audible alarm is the only thing that matters in a theft. GPS or LoJack are cool, but sound scares thieves. Installing an alarm is good, but if you have the Xena disc lock you can take your alarm with you. It doesn't say that the alarm has to be hardwired to your bike in the provisions of the discount. It says it must be audible. Sell your bike and keep the lock for the next.