Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   Bike Security in an Parking Lot? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/15140-bike-security-parking-lot.html)

JMcDonald 05-03-2010 10:20 AM

Ah gotcha. Do you not think the pager function of a fixed alarm is worth it, then?

JMcDonald 05-04-2010 11:24 AM

Do you think having the pager and more sensitive tilt / shock sensors would be worth it? I like the idea of being warned when someone is messing with the bike while I'm at work, the store, or perhaps a motel or whatever.

acecycleins 05-04-2010 12:43 PM

Pagers are good. Is it the best solution? Don't know. A buddy has a paging system on his 636 and the other day accused several co-workers of messing with his bike. It was actually a slight nudge by the driver of a car next to his bike that caused the alarm. They found out because they looked at the security cameras the next day. Needless to say, he has a few fewer friends at the office right now.

JMcDonald 05-04-2010 01:49 PM

Ah I gotcha. Hmm.

Final question: About how far away will the pagers realistically work? My apartment is small, but all the walls are concrete / cinder block. There are three of these walls between the ~70ft distance from where id park my bike to where I actually live (on the second floor). If the pager won't work in situations like these, I probably won't bother with it.

I don't know if Id hear the alarm through those walls, unless I can get them to let me park my bike closer to my window and out of the actual parking lot. That is largely why id like the actual pager function instead of just the alarm.

JMcDonald 05-18-2010 08:01 AM

Would the additional alarm features of the gorilla (better sensitivity, and pager function) outweigh the advantages of having a physical deterrent to rolling the bike (if I am not at home and thus don't have it locked) that would be provided by the disc lock?

I know it isn't difficult to bust the steering lock, so if one could pop that open quickly, they could still easily roll the bike into the back of a truck or van even with the alarm blaring if I just had the gorilla alarm. But, with a disc lock, the bike would need to be lifted up to be moved.

On the other hand, I really like the increased sensity of the gorilla alarm, as this would mean I would have a much earlier warning when someone is trying to steal it. With the disc alarm, based on a few youtube videos it seems like thieves could carefully stand up the bike to get room to cut the chain or put straps / bars in the wheels, and then hurry and carry it to the van / truck with the alarm only going off for a few seconds before the bike is gone. With the gorilla, however, as soon as they started to move it it the alarm would start to go off, giving me more time to potentially get out there or more time to potentially scare them off before even trying to move it. Plus, with the pager function I'd know it was being moved even if I couldn't gear it (I don't know if I'd be able to hear it inside my work or apartment, even though it would only be parked like 50 or 60 feet away).

Which one would you guys go with?

And btw, the Xena alarm is about $93 while the Gorilla is $135.

Thanks.

And here are some examples showing why I don't think the Xenas are very sensitive:
YouTube - Xena Lock sound
YouTube - XENA XE15 Y

Though, it seems pretty sensitive on this one?
YouTube - xena bike alarm

acecycleins 05-18-2010 10:38 AM

Personally- the disc alarm goes with you to your next bike without the hassle of trying to unwire it.

JMcDonald 05-18-2010 11:32 AM

True, although the 5 or 10 minutes it would take to remove it is not a very big factor, since it only requires positive and negative power directly from the battery (no harness splicing).

JMcDonald 05-18-2010 03:12 PM

Arg, the more research I do the more indecisive I become.

I have read mixed reviews regarding both. Several have said the Xenas are not sensitive enough, and that a lot of times you can be on the bike with the stand up and it still won't have gone off. Others say it is too sensitive and will go off when loud cars go by or an adjacent car has its door slammed. Finally, while the Xena is advertised as having adjustable sensitivity by locking it at different orientations on the disc (the higher up, the more sensitive), I have found no personal substantiation of that claim, and a few have specifically said there doesn't seem to be any difference. So, in all that, the adjustable sensitivity of the Gorilla is a huge plus. I want to be able to tailor it to my situaton so if a little kid rubs it or a loud noise happens it won't go off, while still being sensitive enough that any deliberate contact would cause it to go off.

Additionally, while I haven't heard great things about the range of the Gorilla's pager, if I am just inside a restaurant or whatever, it could definitely give me a chance to get out there when I otherwise likely wouldn't hear it. And in this day and age where alarms are hardly more than an annoyance, most likely the only one who would do anything about a theft in progress would be me. So, yeah the pager function is definitely a big plus it seems. Additionally, if someone hits it in the parking lot which their vehicle, the pager alert might give me time to get out there to get a tag number if I can't hear the alarm itself.

The main things the disc lock has going for it are the physical deterrent factor and its resistance to tampering. Physically, it would prevent the bike from being rolled off by one or two guys if they were undeterred by the noise. And, if someone is patient and careful, they could potentially find one of the alarm wires and snip it (like if they check it out at my apartment every night for a while). The disc lock, on the other hand, will be far more resistant to any attacks against the device itself.

I am leaning toward the Gorilla for its sensitivity and warning features, but something does worry me about somebody just wheeling my bike into a van in some dark parking lot. Mabe I could get the Gorilla, but also keep a cheap disc lock around for when I park it for longer periods (perhaps longer than just a few minutes). Though, for at home the bike will be secured to my apartment building, so im not so worried about someone wheeling it off there.

JMcDonald 05-18-2010 07:01 PM

Ok, I just ordered the Gorilla alarm, after deciding the pager feature was nice to have. However, I will be buying a small, cheap disc lock that will be easy to keep around, which I can put on if the bike is going to be parked somewhere for a while. At home, I'll already have the bike secured and have the internal alarm armed, but I'm thinking if I will be spending the night somewhere (parents', friends', motels, etc), or even just at some location for a while (work, movies, dinner party, etc), I'll use the disc lock.

Oh, and it was $135 shipped.