Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 04-30-2010, 10:23 AM   #21
JMcDonald
Registered Member

I am actually going to sell my daily driver after getting used to the bike (I'll still have a car, but the GF drives that to work), which is why I am so concerned about maintaining comfort in inclement weather. Some day I could look out the window into a wall of water, but still have to go to work just the same (or go home from work, or whatever). Also, I have enjoy touring and road trips with friends and my GF. I've always been into cars and racing, and meets / cruises often went hundreds of miles and, occasionally, we've been surprised by rains (and while I know I'd pay very careful attention to the weather, especially in Oklahoma it can change rapidly and unexpectedly from day to day or even within a day). But, it won't be difficult to carry an extra rain jacket and, like has been said, I can probably get better overall equipment if I don't try to get one jacket to do everything, at the expense of potentially having to carry extra gear with me.

I've just about got some budget starter gear picked out (pants, jacket, and rain jacket--I will get the boots, helmet, and gloves in person). Total is about $190 for those three. I think, like you said, I might just have to go through a few setups to figure out exactly what I need.
JMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #22
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Nothing against sport bikes but, my opinion.... I can't dent they would be exciting to have, but I wouldn't consider a sport bike as my only transport, with a cruiser it's just more practical to have saddlebags & luggage rack, or a tour pack, and then still yet the option for a backpack. I do see the sport riders frequently riding with backpacks, but I would be afraid that added weight to my upper body may hinder manuverability. Still yet, a slow reaction on a sport bike is likely a faster reaction than I could make on a 900+ lb vessel.
Good liuck, and regardless of what gear you choose, there will be likes & dislikes which will come into your decision when looking for replacement regardless of what you chose.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:40 AM   #23
12er
Founding Member

tricks to staying cool is to put your sleeves over your gauntlets on your gloves and leave them loose. Open your vents and you get a ram air effect up your arms as you ride. Buy a high tech wicking shirt and possibly in really hot weather a bandanna and a water bottle in your tank bag. Wet the bandanna and throw it around your neck.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #24
JMcDonald
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Ok, so here is my shopping cart.

Pants: Power Trip Dakota Overpant, $40
Power Trip Dakota Overpant - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Protective Jacket: Fieldsheer Congo Air Mesh (in white), $100
Fieldsheer Congo Air Mesh Jacket - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Rain Jacket** (since the pants seem to do well in the rain, based on reviews): Firstgear Splash Jacket (in silver), $50
Firstgear Splash Jacket - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

I am sure those aren't the best I could get, but are there any obvious problems I'm missing in getting those?

**I am going to go ahead and get a nicer rain jacket so I don't end up trying to get cheaper ones that end up tearing after a short while (based on experience in riding a bike to school daily) from just daily use.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:07 PM   #25
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

I like that jacket. The white color should be pretty cool during the Summer.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:16 PM   #26
JMcDonald
Registered Member

That's good to hear! Yeah I picked the white color for the visibility and coolness, and because I like its neutrality over red and yellow .
Old 04-30-2010, 01:27 PM   #27
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcDonald View Post
That's good to hear! Yeah I picked the white color for the visibility and coolness, and because I like its neutrality over red and yellow .
There is also a reason that white is used by the majority of corner-workers in most racing-circles - contrast of a human silohuette, moreso than "visibility".
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:21 PM   #28
JMcDonald
Registered Member

Just placed that order (jacket, rain top, and pants), and just bought a helmet in person :O .
Old 05-01-2010, 02:47 PM   #29
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Which lid did you get?
Old 05-01-2010, 04:35 PM   #30
JMcDonald
Registered Member

I bought one of the Fuel ones from Walmart :P . I was going to go today to shop around for some, and since we were at Walmart shopping I went ahead and looked just to have one more possible option. It feels just as good as any of my dirtbike helmets (almost uncomfortably tight, but I could open and close my jaw without biting my cheeks). It has two vents on the top, one in the center of the chin bar, and two on each side of the chin. The visor is removable with interesting cam-lock mechanisms. It was marked down to $40 and there was only left in my size (small), so I figured I'd buy it since I knew I could return it if the reviews turned out bad. It is of course DOT certified, and most all the reviews point to it being a decent helmet for the money (the only negative one I've found was extremely exaggerated), so I'll be keeping it for myself to try out.

If it turns out to be not good for whatever reason (like, vents don't work well, for example), I'll just make it the GF's passenger helmet, or simply keep it as a spare. In just messing with it, the padding is a little more difficult to get back in than my old dirtbike helmets, so I'll see how that goes.

But, I'm going to keep the receipt. If I am out and about and find a helmet I really like for like for maybe $100 or even $150 or so, I might get that and return this cheap one. But, in any case, I figure it will be a while before I am even relaxed enough on the bike to notice little annoyances like wind noise or slight differences in cooling or whatever, so this will suffice for a while at least.

Walmart.com: Fuel Full-Face Helmet, Gloss Black - Small: Hunting