Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 04-28-2010, 07:07 AM   #1
JMcDonald
Registered Member

Default Possible to run a 2009 Ninja 250r without Fairing?

Hello! Been lurking since about October, but went ahead and registered yesterday.

Just as the title says, I was just wondering if this bike will operate naked, or if there are other systems (lights, turn signals, etc) integrated into it which would prevent this?

I am about to buy it from a friend in about 6 weeks (after I take the MSF course and get my Motorcycle license), and it is the first street bike I've owned. Ive seen a lot of people here recommend naked bikes so there is no risk of damaging expensive fairings (it already has a dent from his GF dropping it when he tried to let her move it in his driveway, heh).
JMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-28-2010, 07:19 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Oh, one can always find a way to mount the lights with the fairing removed on any bike. Frame/fairing sliders might be an easier way to go though.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:43 AM   #3
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Myself not being seasoned on sportbikes, I'm curious how much of the fairings may play into ram air induction or cooling systems for air routing. Although I understand an engine will suck and find its air when it needs more, but may not operate as efficiently, or top performance may be slightly compromised. For the most part I'm sure the fairings are cosmetic & for aero purposes only.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
JMcDonald
Registered Member

Ah, yeah I guess sliders would probably be easier and more practical.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:00 PM   #5
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
Myself not being seasoned on sportbikes, I'm curious how much of the fairings may play into ram air induction or cooling systems for air routing. Although I understand an engine will suck and find its air when it needs more, but may not operate as efficiently, or top performance may be slightly compromised. For the most part I'm sure the fairings are cosmetic & for aero purposes only.
I'm guessing there is not a whole lot of air ramming on an EX250.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
12er
Founding Member

duct tape, bailing wire and several cans of flat black paint and your in there.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
MOKE1K
Registered Member

I think the best question would be why? Why are you asking, is it for looks or because maybe the bodywork needs repair? In either case your biggest sacrifice will be high speed stability. The fairings are there for a reason. I would recommend keeping them mounted, if its the look you want get an SV in two years.

The other bad part about running no fairings is the damage you'll inccure in a crash. Better to have your abs plastic scared or even cracked and missing rather than grinding down your cooling fin's or even worse your frame,...think about it. Manufactures put things on their bikes for a reason.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:14 PM   #8
JMcDonald
Registered Member

I like the look of it now, and the bodywork is pretty much mint. It is just that I have noticed lots of people recommending naked bikes because laying them over in a parking lot will leave a scuff on painted metal, rather than a potentially cracked several-hundred-dollar fairing.

Further, I have heard of people casually recommening to those starting off with sport-style bikes to simply take off the fairings when starting off to avoid a light drop turning into a potentially expensive ordeal. I didn't know how serious those recommendations were, so I was just curious if it would work ok to keep the fairing off for a few weeks to avoid damage to it, or if the fairing was too integral to the design to be removed during use without any consequences other than aesthetics.

But I was just curious if it would be a good idea, or if my suspicions of difficulties or greater risks of riding with the fairings removed were true. Thanks for the pointers guys. I love reading this forum, and as I get closer to that time, and come up with more questions (that I can't answer with searching), I'll be sure to ask you guys here.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 04-28-2010, 08:27 PM   #9
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
The fairings are there for a reason. I would recommend keeping them mounted, if its the look you want get an SV in two years.
And primarily that reason is; "to cover-up the ugly beneath".........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:28 AM   #10
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcDonald View Post
Thanks for the pointers guys. I love reading this forum, and as I get closer to that time, and come up with more questions (that I can't answer with searching), I'll be sure to ask you guys here.

Thanks a bunch!
Don't be shy iffnz u got a question to ax, ax it. Really though, great source of experience here, good responsible riders, and it's nice to get input, or at least a vote of confidence that you're making the right decisions.