Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/index.php)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   First sportbike (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14918)

Ayotex 04-07-2010 05:59 AM

First sportbike

nevermind,
thanks

seruzawa 04-07-2010 06:25 AM

Check insurance rates before you go any further. Full coverage for a 600 performance bike can cost a 16 year old about $6K per year. Not to mention that starting on the street on one of those is an incredibly bad idea. Would you start learning to fly in an F-16? Start out on a DP bike like a nice used DRZ400.

Ayotex 04-07-2010 07:32 AM

:cool:
Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 239112)
Check insurance rates before you go any further. Full coverage for a 600 performance bike can cost a 16 year old about $6K per year. Not to mention that starting on the street on one of those is an incredibly bad idea. Would you start learning to fly in an F-16? Start out on a DP bike like a nice used DRZ400.

true say ill try it

acecycleins 04-07-2010 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayotex (Post 239113)

well over the summer I will be practising a lot on my friends yamaha 350. It's a street legal dual sport I think. I'll probably get 30-40 hours on it. Not sure if that would be adequet practice to then take a 3 day class before getting maybe a lower powered 500 or 600?

Ayo- you are heading down a path that will certainly end in pain. Being bored on a bike that creates little by way of stress when learning is a small price to pay for experience. When you get 15000km (you read that right) you will clearly be ready for the next step up. Until then, remember that there are actually racing classes for the 250s. Basically, if you can race it for fun on the track you should be able to ride for fun on the street. If it's that not enough, there are tons of hotrod parts you can play with while travelling down the learner path.
Get into a real motorcycle safety class before you take your practicle test.

The_AirHawk 04-07-2010 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayotex (Post 239113)

well over the summer I will be practising a lot on my friends yamaha 350. It's a street legal dual sport I think. I'll probably get 30-40 hours on it. Not sure if that would be adequet practice to then take a 3 day class before getting maybe a lower powered 500 or 600?

A Yamah 350 is NOT a 600 Supersport. It's not even a Ninja 500.

Mista' T sez: "Stay in Milk, Drink your School, mind your Drugs and don't do Parents........"

Don't be a Foo', Foo'!

trenttheuncatchable 04-07-2010 09:26 AM

Hopefully something will stop you from getting a 600cc sportbike as your first bike. It could be that you won't be able to get insurance on it because you're a new rider. It could be because you're too young and you won't be able to afford the insurance premiums.

I'd say, don't do it, but telling that to a 16 year old is worse than talking into the wind.

I'd also tell you that to alleviate boredom you should be riding such bikes at the track, not on the street, but track time costs big bucks too, so you probably can't afford that either.

If you have any sense at all you'll get that 250R; it's already too easy to kill yourself on that.

Kenneth_Moore 04-07-2010 09:32 AM

Don't listen to these old farts Ayo. They're just jealous because they had bicycles with cards in the spokes when they were 16.

You can handle the 600. You've no doubt got lightening fast reflexes, eagle-vision, and the ability to focus and create a situational awareness that will be like a force field, surrounding you and your bike.

Get the bike and a helmet, hook up with some fast riders who can show you the ropes, and have at it. Life is too short to waste time pissing around with 250s!

The_AirHawk 04-07-2010 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 239125)
Don't listen to these old farts Ayo. They're just jealous because they had bicycles with cards in the spokes when they were 16.

You can handle the 600. You've no doubt got lightening fast reflexes, eagle-vision, and the ability to focus and create a situational awareness that will be like a force field, surrounding you and your bike.

Get the bike and a helmet, hook up with some fast riders who can show you the ropes, and have at it. Life is too short to waste time pissing around with 250s!

Hells Yeah, Man! Your erudite words have caused me to pause and reconsider my stance on this weighty matter!

I say F-Bomb the 600 - go right for a MANLY bike - the ZX-14!

You're a Poosie if you don't! Tiny Penie! 110-lb Weak-sister Nerdy-Geek-Dweeb!

Ayotex 04-07-2010 11:23 AM

250r it is then

seruzawa 04-07-2010 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 239128)
Hells Yeah, Man! Your erudite words have caused me to pause and reconsider my stance on this weighty matter!

I say F-Bomb the 600 - go right for a MANLY bike - the ZX-14!

You're a Poosie if you don't! Tiny Penie! 110-lb Weak-sister Nerdy-Geek-Dweeb!

I'm surprised that no one has recommended the Boss Hoss yet.