Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 04-11-2010, 05:26 PM   #21
jeff10236
Registered Member

Default Crap!

Darn, I just today found the Suzuki Owners Club of North America website. On their forum about a week ago a guy posted Suzuki OEM bags for the C50, the mounting brackets and the OEM passenger backrest for only $150. Of course, they are no longer available- they were snatched up in less than a day and a half.
jeff10236 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #22
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff10236 View Post
Darn, I just today found the Suzuki Owners Club of North America website. On their forum about a week ago a guy posted Suzuki OEM bags for the C50, the mounting brackets and the OEM passenger backrest for only $150. Of course, they are no longer available- they were snatched up in less than a day and a half.
Generous price, but some ppl dont like them, whidshields either, I like as much capacity as I can obtain just forget where I put stuff. Keep your eyes peeled, Craiglist is a good option & some model specific items from other brands may work for ya too.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:29 PM   #23
jeff10236
Registered Member

Well, I put in a bid on Ebay. They are the River Road zip-off quick release, medium slant bags ZQSlant Medium. They are the kind with the flap that just covers the top and not the hatbox style, but I figure I can get some waterproof nylon duffel bags for anything that needs more weather protection. They are new/unused but were returned due to a defect in the stitching on the bottom of the right side bag. I figure that in the best case, if it is just cosmetic I won't be looking at the bottom of my bags much. Worse case, if they effect the strength of the bag I can see how much it would cost to have them restitched or I can just keep a lighter load in that bag. The current bid is $55 plus $18 for delivery, the cheapest I've seen these new online is $100 plus delivery and MSRP is $155, and this puts River Road bags in line for price of the jafrum.com bags.

If I get outbid and lose the auction (I don't think I'll bump up my bid) I may just buy some cheap hardbags. I've seen several sellers with several models of hardbags for $150 or less (they are ABS instead of fiberglass). They may not be the best bags (and hopefully, the silver will be close enough to my silver/gray two-tone to look OK), but I just need inexpensive bags for a year or two until I'm sure I won't be dropping my bike and then I'll be buying better bags. I can get a better feel for if I'd like the hardbags or not and then either order nicer hardbags or get some nice permanently mounted leather bags (maybe from U.S. Saddlebag Company).

Here are the three I'm thinking about:

Silver Motorcycle Saddlebags Hard Bags Honda Suzuki : eBay Motors (item 380224676341 end time Apr-24-10 16:10:07 PDT)

GA Silver Motorcycle HARD SADDLEBAGS SADDLE BAGS : eBay Motors (item 380223746934 end time Apr-21-10 14:45:05 PDT)

NEW Motorcycle LED HARD SADDLE BAG SADDLEBAGS SILVER : eBay Motors (item 270560725635 end time Apr-15-10 17:01:41 PDT)

Last edited by jeff10236 : 04-15-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:29 PM   #24
jeff10236
Registered Member

So, I won the auction on those River Road bags. They weren't quite as nice as the description would have it. They were supposed to be brand new that were returned due to a minor imperfection in the stitching. In reality they seem to be slightly used- I'd guess the guy had them on his bike and rode with them a few miles before returning them. There is a tad bit of dirt and a scuff or two (I'm pretty sure I can have them looking almost new though), and there is a second but more minor stitching imperfection as well. Also, the retention straps that were supposed to hold them to the bike are gone with the exception of one which is frayed. Still at $73 with shipping I think I did OK and I'll be keeping them. I'll either find straps somewhere to strap them to the supports I'll be buying, or I'll reinforce the bike side of the bags with plastic or rubber and rig something up to bolt them directly to the bike (I don't really need the zip off quick release feature).
Old 04-25-2010, 11:52 PM   #25
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Get a pair of good work boot shoelaces, & use them to tie them to your bag stays.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:14 AM   #26
jeff10236
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
Get a pair of good work boot shoelaces, & use them to tie them to your bag stays.
Sounds like a good idea, but I think I've decided upon using zip ties. They are cheap and they are small enough to be pretty unobtrusive. If I use chrome it would look good and blend with the saddlebag brackets, if I use black it will blend well with the bags. It may take two or three per connection point, but they are pretty cheap so that is no big deal. I would then just trim the excess so it was a pretty clean install. As an added bonus, if I go with chrome I could buy enough to switch out any black zip ties used by Suzuki to hold down any wire bunches and improve the overall look of the bike as well.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:44 AM   #27
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Watch for contact points, I've never had throwover bags, but seen many a bike with damage from poor instalation, even some burned through the bottom from sitting on the pipes. So I opted for the Saddleman bags o the old bike & the new one has factory cases.