Registered Member

But the bike do look good

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2010, 07:35 PM   #22
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Have you all forgotten this is part of the Holy Trinity of motorcycles?

What could possibly go wrong?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:41 PM   #23
sartorius
Registered Member

Yeah, I really enjoyed the Blast when I had it on the safety course. And that's the thing that surprised me. I was so sure I'd be looking for a cruiser right now. It's kind of on my list, but I've heard a few things about craftsmanship and I'm not sure how things are affected now that it's not made anymore. Would repairs be more expensive?

And dadgum it, AirHawk. Just as I'm typing a post, you chime in again. It's like there's an angel on one shoulder saying "Just get the Ninja 250. You'd regret all that power." and AirHawk is on the other saying "But you know you want this more!". And I regret to say the BOSS HOSS didn't make the cut.

A Star Ride, you're not helping.

As much as I really like that bike, I don't have confidence about controlling all that power. After having it drilled in my head from several websites (including this one) that a 250 is the first bike, it seems like I'd be thinking with the wrong head if I chose the SV650. Unless there's an explanation how my experience would be different from tripleripple's, or unless I had some seat time to get a feel for the thing and be sure I could handle and learn on it, I'll have to back out. I just don't see a way for that to happen unless the bike were here, and that seems like a tall order. Like I said, places around here won't let me take a test drive until I've had my endorsement for a year. If you see a way around this, I'm all ears.

And those (Blast and SV650) are kind of the alternatives to my default decision of Ninja 250r. I started looking on craigslist and need to get things lined up before I miss half the riding season in OH.

Okay, so an additional question now that I'm approaching the straightaway:
Is a pre-purchase inspection always helpful? I'd plan on doing one if it were a 2005 model or so, but does it really matter for an '08 or later bike?
sartorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:54 PM   #24
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Most 08's on the market probably only have 3-4K miles on em (at best). Even if they just got parked for sale today. I'd say if a bike with 5K or less miles that DID have the break in service completed, should be mechanically sound. People buy bikes, realize they don't ride it & sell at a big loss.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:28 PM   #25
sartorius
Registered Member

Thanks! Yeah, that makes sense to me. Why make more hassle than necessary?
There's an 08 250r at 4-5k miles that just may find a new home with me. It's all black which is kind of cool, but I should figure a way to put on reflector strips or something so my drunk yahoo apartment complex neighbors have a better chance of seeing it when they park.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:51 PM   #26
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartorius View Post
Thanks! Yeah, that makes sense to me. Why make more hassle than necessary?
There's an 08 250r at 4-5k miles that just may find a new home with me. It's all black which is kind of cool, but I should figure a way to put on reflector strips or something so my drunk yahoo apartment complex neighbors have a better chance of seeing it when they park.
And that one may be The One.

Sometimes, it takes awhile to find a bike that "clicks". That SV might not be right for you. Ultimately, a person has to decide what's "right", and make their own choice.

In fact, you can probably ignore my reply to your PM, and go with the EX250. They're Great bikes - 'specially after Kawi did that restyle and mechanical update on 'em.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #27
cloud9
Registered Member

Simply put the sv650 can wheelie in 1st gear if your over anxious with the throttle, the 250 will just bolt off the line and give you an ear full of that sweet sounding parallel twin.

You honestly can't go wrong with the 250 as many have stated but if your confident enough with the skills you've acquired from the msf, you can't go wrong with a 650 kawi or suzuki.

Better to be underpowered than overpowered for your first motorcycle.

Insane are called those who deal with death

Masters are called those who seal the deal

Legends are called anyone of those who die in their quest.
cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:58 PM   #28
12er
Founding Member

Remember short shifting goes a long way on gradually learning the power of a new bike.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:49 PM   #29
sartorius
Registered Member

I want to follow up with my MO folks. The way things panned out, I really think I could've gone with any of the choices because they're all good in their own ways. The one that won the prize was a local '06 GS500F. I kept thinking multiple times that I might like the GS500E, but it was a shame they were discontinued and I can't find one on craigslist.

This happened to pop up, and it caught my eye. It already has some scuff marks, a dent, and a crack in the fairing, so I got it for less and don't have to worry about any smudges on the precious angel. And if, like a prom dress, the fairing comes off...well, I think I could live with that.

Local 250R owners were pretty consistently wanting near Kelly Blue Book value or more, and I found it hard to justify compared to other deals. Fun, nice bikes, but they were snagged pretty quickly and I wasn't aggressive with forking over the dough. The SVs are awesome, and that could very well come next. Could I have done well on an SV? Yeah. Do I think I'll do well on this? Yeah. I kind of want 'em all.

AirHawk, you the man. And like you said, this one just clicked. All the important factors came together and it was a really easy decision to make.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:26 PM   #30
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Good, I'm glad. The Suzi GS500's are a fine motorcycle. I daresay you will not outgrow it easily (although you'll still probably yearn for "MORE POWER" soon enough - we all do. attempt to ignore that yearn for a couple of years)

Even though you didn't get my friends bike, I figured a bit of contact with Steve would help to solidify the direction you should go, one way or another.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 04-09-2010 at 09:28 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote