Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 04-02-2010, 09:34 AM   #11
acecycleins
Founding Member

If you buy the SV BUY USED. When you drop it the pain won't hurt as bad. Personally, the Ninja 500 is a good bike. What you need is seat time. Seat time on a 70hp bike is a bit harder to do as a newbie. But seat time on a 50 hp bike is much easier on the learning nerves.
Ask anyone here their thoughts on used baby ninjas. They are a hoot and used ones are cheap and easy to maintain. You can easily find them for as little as $1500 in good shape to $4500 new.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2010, 04:04 PM   #12
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

How much riding will be on the freeway/expressway? If the answer is not so much, get a Ninja 250. If the answer is quite a bit, get a Ninja 500. The 250 can do it, but it does it at higher rpm's and it doesn't have as much passing power as the 500. But it is also less expensive, and more available. Ace is right, you just need seat time.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #13
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

What a co-inky-dink; a friend of mine just sent me this email:

2003 SV650
Standard, not an "S"
Fuel injected,
10,600 miles

Silver, never dropped, clean,clean,clean
Gold valves in the front end
Carbon fiber front fender
Yosh tri oval, power commander plus dyno tuned to get it right
New tires, brakes, chain and sprockets
Led signals -> <- arrow shaped front and rear
$3995 Have clean title in my hand

Bike is at my shop in New Joisey
Ping me if you want a pic.......

Steve

If'n yous wants, I can put yous in touch wit' da' Hawkfadda'.........

He's about 8 hours from Columbus. BUT, Steve gets-around. If you want this bike, he can get it to you, and cheaply. I stand behind him, and other than bein' a friend to the seller, have no other vested interest in the bike.

Here's a few pics of the bike Steve sent me:

Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 04-03-2010 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Added pics
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:36 PM   #14
sartorius
Registered Member

Well, crap. I was just finishing typing why I was dead-set gonna go with the 250r, and now this pops up.

See, the problem is I have no feel for the bike. I'm nervous about the power, but I have no way of judging what it'd be like. Maybe fine, maybe not. I can't take anything on a test ride here until I have my endorsement for 1 year, so I'm kind of in the dark.

Honestly, I think it's the coolest looking bike…period. Comfortable position. It is the type of bike I'd expect to move up to in a year and call my dream bike. And I'd love to be able to ride it, but more importantly be good at riding it. I don't want to be the guy who's fine on straightaways, but terrified of curves or slowing down. Maybe if I take it really slowly, that's possible?

Having sold myself on the 250r for several reasons including low power, I'd appreciate input on why the primary performance difference isn't such a big deal. The best I can do is look at numbers on the internet and this is what I see: the SV650 has 72.5 hp, 47.2 ft*lb, the 250r has 28/18 or 26.4/13.6 depending on model. From my perspective, that looks like a huge difference. Hawk said the SV650 is tractable, and I guess I'm wondering (not doubting, just hoping to understand) how. Is it the smooth onset of power that another site mentioned? Maybe it'd help if I had an idea how much the throttle needs to turn for adequate acceleration in the city for keeping up with traffic, vs. how much it'd take for me to wear it as a hat.

I'd also be open to tips on what could I do to make sure I don't:
1. hurt myself or others
2. well...hurt myself or others.

The things that come to mind are:
1. lots of practice in parking lots or neighborhoods
2. keeping my wrist in a position where my knuckles are up (is there a name for this?)
3. taking an advanced rider course
4. other resources?

I'm also curious what the modifications do, like the gold valves and Yosh thingamajobber. The Yosh seems to be a different exhaust system that actually increases power, and I'm not sure what it does to sound.

Last edited by sartorius : 04-02-2010 at 06:40 PM.
sartorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:03 PM   #15
cherrycherry
Banned

thank you for your share ,very great
cherrycherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #16
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

It's the unpredictable (or unfamiliar) stuff that can get you hurt. Also, you can find a relatively new, low mileage 250R for around $2K. A 500R for around $3K-$3.5K. An SV650(S) for around $3.5K-$4K. You might be okay with an SV, but you can't go wrong with a 250R/500R for a year or two. Ultimately it's your decision.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:23 PM   #17
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL

A few days ago I rode a friend's 2001 SV650, 17K on the clock, full Akro exhaust. Despite always thinking this would be a solid bike for a beginner, I now think differently. Too fast. Maybe the exhaust was fooling me, but this was a very powerful bike. Had my first-ever riding experiences been on this kind of machine, I would've quit.
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:51 AM   #18
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
If you buy the SV BUY USED. When you drop it the pain won't hurt as bad. Personally, the Ninja 500 is a good bike. What you need is seat time. Seat time on a 70hp bike is a bit harder to do as a newbie. But seat time on a 50 hp bike is much easier on the learning nerves.
Ask anyone here their thoughts on used baby ninjas. They are a hoot and used ones are cheap and easy to maintain. You can easily find them for as little as $1500 in good shape to $4500 new.
As always, sage advice. I was thinking of the Ninja 500 as a great beginner bike. Another good first bike is the Buell Blast. Unfortunately, most people don't hold them in high regard.

However, Sartorius, you should be able to find an older used SV650 with relatively low miles for about $3000. Just keep looking.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #19
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Bumpa-dump-dump.

Added pics.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #20
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Bumpa-dump-dump.

Added pics.
Can ya give us a symbol crash after that drumroll?