Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 04-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #21
jeff10236
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Did I miss it. What did you end up getting? No matter. Be safe, ride safe.
I'm not sure I want to say because it isn't a 250cc

I got a 2009 Suzuki C50. Over here it seems that people tout 500cc as about the outside max for all starter bikes, but on several other boards (and with a handful of bikers I know in person) it seemed the consensus is that a strict cc limit is more for sport bikes and standards (with standards going to about 650cc). Most seemed to think that with cruisers the gearing and tuning is such that the 800cc C50 won't be too much (the idea seems to be that weight more than cc's is the limiting factor with cruisers- for instance the 650cc Suzuki SV650, sometimes mentioned as a starter bike has somewhere in the vicinity of 60-70hp while my 800cc cruiser is around 50hp). So, I am actually a little nervous to post what I bought here, but elsewhere many people thought it was a good starter bike for a 6', 290LB 40 year old guy.

I did make sure to buy engine guards to limit the damage with the apparently inevitable drop (everyone on every board, though not everyone I know IRL, seems to think newbies will drop it at least once). One of the used bikes I saw, the one that looked best cosmetically, had been dropped (by admission of the owner). It also had engine guards and other than a very minor scratch on the end of the exhaust pipe, another on the end of the handlebar, and a little on the engine guard, you wouldn't know it. For slow speed parking lot drops the engine guards seem to do their jobs.

If there were any at dealers less than 100 miles away I probably would have bought the Suzuki TU250 which no one denies is a great starter bike. From what I read it is a lot of fun and gets great mileage. I still want one as a second bike, maybe after this one is paid off and just before I upgrade to a Harley.

Last edited by jeff10236 : 04-03-2010 at 02:12 PM.
jeff10236 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #22
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff10236 View Post
I got a 2009 Suzuki C50... So, I am actually a little nervous to post what I bought here, but elsewhere many people thought it was a good starter bike for a 6', 290LB 40 year old guy.
No worries. Think safe and ride safe. I've known plenty of people who started on a bike bigger than 250cc (to include yours truly). Just keep that spirit of continuous learning and humility, and you'll be okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff10236 View Post
I did make sure to buy engine guards to limit the damage with the apparently inevitable drop (everyone on every board, though not everyone I know IRL, seems to think newbies will drop it at least once).
Statistics are just that... statistics. It doesn't mean you will definitely drop your bike, but the liklihood is that you will. Perhaps you'll be different.

Now, aren't you from Annapolis, MD? Where are you now? There is a Suzuki dealer right up the road from you. (Certainly less than 100 miles away). What about Pete's Cycle in Severna Park or Cycle World in Brooklyn?
Old 04-03-2010, 04:21 PM   #23
jeff10236
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
No worries. Think safe and ride safe. I've known plenty of people who started on a bike bigger than 250cc (to include yours truly). Just keep that spirit of continuous learning and humility, and you'll be okay...

Statistics are just that... statistics. It doesn't mean you will definitely drop your bike, but the liklihood is that you will. Perhaps you'll be different...

Now, aren't you from Annapolis, MD? Where are you now? There is a Suzuki dealer right up the road from you. (Certainly less than 100 miles away). What about Pete's Cycle in Severna Park or Cycle World in Brooklyn?
I understand that it isn't inevitable that I drop my bike, and I sure am hoping I won't. It's just that with what I saw on the used market, the cleanest bike had been dropped but had engine guards. I'm hoping that at a low speed drop, if it happens, it won't be too bad. If the minor scratches on the engine guards, end of the exhaust, and the end of the handlebars bother me, those can be easily taken care of. The engine guards were well under $150 (without the discount on parts due to the new purchase they'd be right around $150) and they'd be easy to switch out so no install charge, handlebars aren't too bad. The most expensive thing would be the exhaust, but 2 years (enough time to be pretty sure I should be over the dropping risk) should be enough to start thinking performance mods, and a new Vince & Hines or Cobra exhaust are obvious choices.

Yeah, I'm in Annapolis. I didn't see a TU250 at Pete's (either S.Park or Baltimore), Cycle World (either Glen Burnie or Baltimore/Rosedale), or at Ellicott City Motorsports (which is where I bought my C50). Online the only dealers that advertised it were in PA, NJ and VA (I think the closest might have been Fredericksburg, VA about 80 miles away). With no 2010 Suzukis it will be a while before any are around again. Oh well, when I pay my car off in a little over 2 years I'll pay about $500 a month on my C50 which should pay it off pretty quick. If my car is doing OK and I probably won't have to replace it right away I may buy the TU250 as a second bike (its 80mpg would be great for my drive to work or short trips into town). Heck, even if I do have to replace it, I'm buying an inexpensive used SUV or pickup for my next "car" so I should still be able to buy the TU250.

Last edited by jeff10236 : 04-03-2010 at 04:29 PM.
jeff10236 is offline   Reply With Quote