Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 03-21-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
jeff10236
Registered Member

Default Brand new- never rode before- and taking the Rider's Edge/MSF course

OK, I can ride a bike so I have basic balance. I drive a stick shift, so I assume I'll be able to figure out the clutch. However, that isn't much of a start. I've never been on a motorcycle before. I've never even rented a motorscooter when at the beach.

So, I've wanted to ride for many years and I have finally got around to signing up for the beginning riders course so I can get my license and then I plan to get a motorcycle in the next year (I'm a teacher- if I find a summer job this year I'll reward myself with the motorcycle over the summer).

Anyway, I want to be as safe as possible, and I want to do as well as possible in the class. I was looking at Amazon.com and they have a lot of books and some videos on motorcycle skills. Some are aimed at beginners, some at more expert riders. Would there be any benefit to buying any of these before I go to my class? Would most of the beginners info be unnecessary duplication of what they teach in the course and in the handbook they will be giving me? Would the more expert videos be useless until I get some real time on a motorcycle?

IOW- is there any use to ordering that stuff before my class, or would I just be wasting my money?
jeff10236 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-21-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
acecycleins
Founding Member

Dude- read the newbie threads. Almost everything you need resides there. After that as questions and we'll respond accordingly.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Dude- read the newbie threads. Almost everything you need resides there. After that as questions and we'll respond accordingly.
As per his other post, I think he said he already read it.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
jeff10236
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
You mean that 40-some pager? I spent several hours reading it yesterday (yup, the whole freakin' thing in one sitting) and I don't recall seeing anything that looked even remotely like my question.
jeff10236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
mugwump58
Registered Member

I wouldn't worry about reading any books. Get yourself enough safety gear now. After you start riding everything will change though, the helmet you want, the jacket, boots, pants, gloves......so don't spend huge amounts of money. Start watching the adds for a used bike so you get a feel for prices, again after you start riding what you want will change.

Look at some other forums as well, is that blasphemy? A couple of my favorites are:

Sporttouring.net
Thumper Talk
ADV

Search for bike specific forums for bikes you are interested in.

Oh the list is endless. Have fun!