Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 03-18-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
carcar278
Registered Member

Default VERY new

Hey guys, Ive been debating on getting a bike for awhile now, and I think Im finally gonna do it. I'm getting my permit and training classes start soon. My biggest question though: how do I know what type of bike is right for me?? As far as a cruiser or a sport bike, how do you choose? I would use it to drive to and from work everyday(13miles) and just driving around...Im a 21 year old female, so keep that in mind. Thanks in advance!
carcar278 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

How tall are you?
Old 03-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
acecycleins
Founding Member

Honestly, if you are commuting on surface streets buy a Suzuki DRZ400SM and ride the hell out of it for 2 seasons. If you are travelling HWY/Interstate then a lovely used Ninja 500 should do the trick. If you want a cruiser then look at the Kawi VN500. Get trained and ask your instructor lots of questions. A Buell Blast will get you by nicely if you want an oddity. ANY of these can be had for at or under $3500 used. They won't kill you on insurance, either.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:07 AM   #4
carcar278
Registered Member

im 5'7. and thanks acecycleins, i will definately look at all those
carcar278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:04 AM   #5
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

The Suzuki DRZ400SM is a dual-purpose bike, so its seat height is pretty tall. So that bike is not a good fit for you (even though it's a great bike). The other bikes Ace mentioned are good ones. You might also check out the Ninja 250R and the Ninja 650R. Like Ace said, get a used bike as your first bike, so it won't be such a big deal if you accidentally tip it over or drop it.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:08 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

A DRZ would be a good choice. You should be tall enough for one. If you don't care for it a Suzuki TN-250 or maybe a Ninja250 would fit.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:03 AM   #7
Borge
Registered Member

Default RE:Very new

I think guy you should prefer Kawasaki ninja they have more power capability to ride if you want know more know about sports bikes so you can also search in Google because there are many sports bikes and automobiles company it helps you can easily find which one is suitable for you . I hope you like my suggestion

Last edited by Borge : 06-24-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Borge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:36 PM   #8
MopedMarauder
Registered Member

A 250 is going to be your best bet for a commuter bike. If you don't planning on going on the highway, you could look into a dr200se.
MopedMarauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:00 PM   #9
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcar278 View Post
. My biggest question though: how do I know what type of bike is right for me?? As far as a cruiser or a sport bike, how do you choose? I would use it to drive to and from work everyday(13miles) and just driving around...Im a 21 year old female, so keep that in mind.
Most people already have an idea of what kind of bike they want, and perhaps what type of rider they want to be. Any bike, cruiser, sport, or standard, will get you to work and back. Saddlebags and windshield on a cruiser make for a comfortable ride at low to moderate speeds. Sport bikes are less comfortable in general; you're a bit more cramped and your options for bringing things along are more limited. There's some really versatile bikes like the Versys (Versatile System) from Kawi, the VStrom 650 and Gladius from Suzuki, and the ENR650, also from Kawi.

However, if you're a novice, you might consider the TU250 from Suzuki. It's a great starter bike, super low price, light and easy to handle, and it looks great. It's less than $4,000, brand new with warranty. With a set of "throw-over" saddlebags and a windshield, you'd be ready to go. Ride it for a while and see if you stay interested. Within a year or so, you'll know exactly what your next bike should be.

Suzuki Cycles - Product Lines - Cycles - Products - TU250 - 2009 - TU250
Old 06-24-2011, 03:26 PM   #10
Borge
Registered Member

Hi,
I think guy you should prefer Kawasaki ninja they have more power capability to ride if you want know more know about sports bikes so you can also search in Google because there are many sports bikes and automobiles company it helps you can easily find which one is suitable for you . I hope you like my suggestion.

4wd accessories
Borge is offline   Reply With Quote