Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Learning to Ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/)
-   -   Good cruiser for new and tall rider. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/learning-ride/14681-good-cruiser-for-new-tall-rider.html)

Tonka Kid 03-13-2010 01:01 PM

Good cruiser for new and tall rider.

Hey guys.

Im planing on buying my first bike at the end of the summer and im trying to narow down my choices before i test drive a few. Im 6'4" and 240 lbs with 35" inseams. My father recomended the Yamaha V-Star 1100 for a guy my size, he likes the Harley feel and says the Yamahas are the closest thing to a Harley without the cost, i would like to hear your opinions on that. Im looking at the Honda's 1300s, the Suzuki C50s and and S50, the Kawazaki Vulcan 900 and of course the Yamaha V-Star 1100.

Im not sure whats the concensus on a 1000 cc+ cruiser for a beginner but i will be riding with a passenger once im confortable enough and i will be riding a LOT in the laurentians north of Montreal, so a lot of time spent going uphill. Any tips on adjustments or mods to look at for a guy my height and weight would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

A Star Ride 03-13-2010 08:45 PM

Does your father have experience riding motorcycles? No disrespect to yer pops, but I cant believe an experienced rider would recommend an 1100 anything for a loved ones first ride. I realize your a big guy, but a bikes physical stature is more based upon the riders skill level not the riders physical stature.

Any 500 on the market or in the used sector, would be easily capable of lumbering you up any hill at a rate to make a new rider with any fear of death, soil his pants. Adjusting or changing handlebars, seat height adjustments, and peg additions, or relocations, will make a smaller bike as comfortable for you as a larger bike.

I'm not saying you cannot handle an 1100 or bigger bike, I jus dont recommend starting with one.

Kenneth_Moore 03-14-2010 05:42 AM

The Harley Wide Glide has been the traditional answer for a big-guy cruiser; it has the largest "****pit" of the HD lineup. HST, with the 2010 restyle, I'm not sure that's true anymore.

On the metric side, try the M-StarVul09. One size fits all.

sarnali2 03-14-2010 06:49 AM

The 2010 Wide Glide would be my choice, I think it looks wicked, however it wouldn't be my choice for you. I'd get something like a KLR 650 or a DL650 Vstrom specially for the roads up north. They have a good riding position and plenty of leg room, decent power and handling without being overweight porkers. Ride one of those for a year or two to learn then get the Wide Glide if you still want it.

Bear in mind that it has spoked wheels, that means innertubes and not an easy fix should you get a flat. A standard Superglide or Lowrider can be had with alloy wheels which means tubeless tires and an easy roadside flat fix. I grew up in Montreal for most of the '60's, I loved the place but back then there wasn't much up north of there. I wouldn't want to be stuck with a flat in the back of beyond.

longride 03-14-2010 07:24 AM

"I grew up in Montreal for most of the '60's, I loved the place but back then there wasn't much up north of there. I wouldn't want to be stuck with a flat in the back of beyond.

They got these newfangled devices called 'cell phones' now Sarnali. Check em out!

acecycleins 03-14-2010 07:35 AM

Honestly, VStar 950 would be good is you start new, but if you look for a Kawi Vulcan Classic 1500 (they only have about 60hp) from the late 90s to early 2000s you probably would spend $3500 on a decent example and when you drop it the sting won't be as bad.

Tonka Kid 03-14-2010 08:16 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

My father got his first motorcycle when he was 16 and as been riding since. I found him a year and a half ago (on facebook) and met him for the first time, which is why I don't know anything about bikes. I guess its in the blood because i have been obssesed with motorcycles since childhood but was on raised on my mothers side of the familly, where riding anything smaller than a 1 ton Suburban is considered dangerous and bikes are for drug dealers.

Anyways im 31 now with firends and familly on big A$$ choppers riding in my face, so enough is enough.

I guess its about the looks at this point, i understand i can make adjustments to make most cruisers "a fit", but if a few lower cc'ed models (500-800) won't make me look like im riding my little brother's tricycle i would love to know. Im buying used and expect to get two years out of it, before i move up the ladder. Im not looking for speed either, more of a laid back ride for cruising around aimlessly, 60 mph on the highway is just fine by me.

About seat height, is higher necessarily better for a tall guy? Or the lenght of the chasis and peg placements is what i should worry about more?

A Star Ride 03-14-2010 08:40 AM

Glad to hear your reunited with your dad, and only 1% of motorcyclists are drug dealers (per the AMA), and Suburbans weigh about 3 tons. If it's in your blood you have to do it, do it & enjoy it. Buying a motorcycle can be the best decision and source of therapy one could hope for, it could also be a life altering decision if done incorrectly. You have to be reasonable about what you can manage on the road. Although most any bike is more nimble then your average car, I would start off with something a little smaller as you learn to manage its weight & get used to a motorcycles handling.

re: About seat height, is higher necessarily better for a tall guy? Or the lenght of the chasis and peg placements is what i should worry about more?

you'd want more distance from bar to seat & seat to peg by any means safely possible. Most bikes can add forward controls, but with your legs too far out front can make things ackward. Highway pegs are great for the open road, but you cannot operate the controls from there, also consider floorboards instead of pegs (or both). Most handlebars can be loosened at the top of the forks & pushed forward a bit (then re-level the reservoirs & adjust the mirrors & lever mounts for proper operation & verify cable clearances) that's a cheaper option then adding ape handers, which are awful & usually require replacing all the cables & posably lengthening electrical connections. The actual seat height isnt as important as the distance from it to the grips & pegs.

Hope this helps ya, and a reminder, these are my opinions, some will agree, some will disagree, but it's my take

sarnali2 03-14-2010 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 236849)

They got these newfangled devices called 'cell phones' now Sarnali. Check em out!

Pffft.. I have a cell phone and a blue tooth, in fact my cell is the same shade of toreador red as my Explorer and I'm not even gay.......

The nice thing about HD is you can put forward controls on any bike for some leg room and you can play with handlebars and seats all day long to really dial the bike in to your size, you can't do that on those Jappernese bikes.

pplassm 03-15-2010 07:08 AM

First bike? Get a dual sport and roost all yer buddies!

You won't care when you drop it (and you will).