Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 03-07-2010, 07:29 AM   #1
jasony0423
Registered Member

Default first bike in 10 years. Sport bike good or not good?

Just wanted to get some opinions on a good bike. It's not my first bike, but it's been a while since I've had one. I used to have a Suzuki Katana 600. That was my first bike, when I was about 21 years old. Had it for about 2 years, put about 25,000 miles on it. Then I sold it, and haven't had one since. I have been looking into getting another one now, but I don't know if my brain is where it needs to be. I was a safe rider at 21, and only dropped my Kat once, and that was in my gravel driveway. Now that I'm 31, I'm still safe, clean record, and affordable insurance, but I'm thinking I want to step up to a higher level sport bike. Nothing insane, but a CBR, R6 or similar.
Is that dumb, or is riding a motorcycle a lot like riding a bicycle, and I'll be right back at the same skill level within a couple of weeks?
Any other advice? I'm wanting something lightly used, around $5,000.
jasony0423 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
mugwump58
Registered Member

As someone who went thru the returning rider routine several years ago allow me...

Start out again on a used standard or DP. You think you want a 600R something or other. Get something cheap and drop/crashable. When you've truly returned you will have a better idea of what you really want and you'll have a winter bike.

Otherwise soak your self in salt water for several days. Sorry but I haven't seen that posted in ages and felt it was overdue.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:58 AM   #3
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Chances are that you weren't all that good of a rider back at 21. Now it's been 10 years, and everything you might have learned is long gone. Go take a class and start fresh. mugwump has it right.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
jasony0423
Registered Member

Alright, thanks for the advice. I'll look into classes in the area again, and go from there.
jasony0423 is offline   Reply With Quote