Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 02-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
The stranger
Registered Member

Default When to upgrade, what to upgrade to?

Hi everyone. I've only been riding my bike (first one) for just under 1000 miles, so I'm not ready to move on yet. What I'd like to know is, at what point should I be thinking of upgrading?

I'm riding a Yamaha YBR 125 and hoping to reach about 3500 miles before I move on, if only because that's the point it's compulsory to take the bike to a second inspection. The thing is I'm not sure if it's enough because at the moment I'm riding a pretty basic bike but thinking of moving onto a sport bike when I do upgrade (Ninja 250 ideally). I use the bike mainly for commuting to and from work. Is that kind of mileage enough?

Second question is whether moving onto a 250 is a good idea? I tried a 250 a long while back, but it was an old cruiser (Suzuki GN), a little heavier than the YBR and I really didn't feel the difference in power. On the one hand, I worry about jumping too high and not being able to handle the bike, on the other I don't want to get bored after a couple of months. If it's safer to go for the 250, I don't mind waiting. Any opinions?
The stranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
A Star Ride
Registered Member

It's a tough call and my answer is "whatever your comfortable with". Also, how big of a guy are you? I sold my 800 to a new rider who diddnt even yet know how to ride, had a fried test ride it & trailered it home. He was 6ft and every bit of 260, so I couldnt imagine him on anything smaller. I also have a friend (5-2, 160#) that had a 250 went to a 400 then back to his 250 & sold the 400. He diddnt feel he had the body to wrestle it arround. A few times (even on the 250) I've had to push him outta a parking spot cause he aint getting enough footing to do it himself (and having a bum hip don't help).
Old 02-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
The stranger
Registered Member

Hi A Star Ride, thanks for the response. I'm a girl (sorry, should have mentioned that from the beginning!) 5'5" and 110lbs. I've sat on both the Ninja 250 and a Gladius 650, and my feet are dead flat on either one, so generally a seat height below 790mm is ok, depending on the width of the bike. The reason I'm pulled by the ninjette is that it's not too big a step up, and from the reviews I've seen it seems to be a good option for someone my size/weight/level of strength.

Having said that I recognise that some of the bigger bikes here have benefits smaller bikes don't. I know I might get told off for saying so, but eventually I want to move onto a bike with ABS, especially since I commute in pretty heavy traffic with unpredictable drivers. Over here (in France), the Yamaha XJ6 diversion comes with optional ABS, and the Suzuki GSX650F will soon have the technology too. However, they're both more powerful than what I ride now and 200kg+, which are the main reasons I'm hesitating :/

Last edited by The stranger : 02-01-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:55 AM   #4
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

You should get that Ninja 250. I had one, and the only reason I eventually sold it is because I wanted something with more passing power (and fuel injection). But it'll hum along at 80mph for hours. It's a great bike.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:02 AM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
You should get that Ninja 250. I had one, and the only reason I eventually sold it is because I wanted something with more passing power (and fuel injection). But it'll hum along at 80mph for hours. It's a great bike.
And they were never able to catch him on it, either!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:33 AM   #6
The stranger
Registered Member

Thanks for the input trenttheuncatchable! The legal limit on highways here is 110km/h (about 68-70mph). I won't need to go aobve that unless there's a hairy situation I need to get out of fast, so anything a little above that sounds good. My main concern would be weaving around rush hour traffic, so the kawa would be more nimble and easier to handle (I hope?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
And they were never able to catch him on it, either!

Last edited by The stranger : 02-03-2010 at 01:36 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:13 AM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Upgrade after your first bad crash. You'll have a much better sense of what bike you really want, and how much you really want it.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #8
A Star Ride
Registered Member

What Ken said is true, I had a rebel 250 and the day I wrecked it (in the entrance to my driveway) I knew I needed somethig a lil bigger.

Nothing is wrong with being a female rider, but you have to consider your stature & strength into what you can handle. On the open road, a bike is pretty much a bike, but heavy traffic, parkinglot & other close quarter maneuvers can pose trouble for a smaller rider on a heavy bike. I can tell a great difference wearing flat sole shoes v/s my riding boots because of the heel.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #9
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Either one will work, I'd get the Gladius myself, it's a new design and probably handles better, more power etc. However the 250 Ninja would be an excellent choice also and specially in the city

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #10
pushrod
Founding Member

Ninja 250!

Especially the updated version. They are as common as houseflies, so you should be able to find a gently used one, and save some cash.

Then, when you are ready for all the fun anyone needs, you can buy a 675 Street Triple!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote