Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2010, 11:09 PM   #21
A Star Ride
Registered Member
 
A Star Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: central Va
Posts: 1,126
Default

I flash my brake too prior to braking if I have someone behind me, also hand signal, not that the general public knows what they mean, but simply droping your left arm will draw attention.
__________________
White Trash Hick from Appalachia
A Star Ride is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2010, 06:04 AM   #22
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Rigging a 12 gauge to fire to the rear of the bike can do wonders for tailgaters.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:21 AM   #23
A Star Ride
Registered Member
 
A Star Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: central Va
Posts: 1,126
Default

When I was a kid I had a piece of conduit cable tied to a fork tube and headlight bracket fo my moped. Put 3-4 bottle rockets in there & mounted the horn wires to arc across the fuses & I was launching bottle rockets as I tore through the neighborhood at 35 MPH. There were 3 of us, we were mo-pagans. Good times
__________________
White Trash Hick from Appalachia
A Star Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:46 AM   #24
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,491
Default

Another thing I forgot to mention about the cars behind you: Mirrors.

I notice that most riders aim their mirrors so they can see directly-behind them at-a-glance without moving their body. If you do any night riding (or are in situations where you're caught out after dark!) this is a Mistake (well it's a Mistake anyway in the day - but it's compounded in the dark).

I always adjust my mirrors to see what's behind and to each side of me (and the same on my cars/trucks) - you want to see your BLIND SPOT at-a-glance. It's easy to move a bit, then look directly behind you if needed - but once you're used to this positioning, you'll find you seldom need to do so (unless you're watching the Trooper make a smoky J-turn and burnout to turn-around and "chase" you....... don't ask.....).

With the mirrors facing directly-behind, you'll find all you can see in them is lights-lights-lights - and if the SOB hits his brights all you'll see in FRONT of you is the same...... especially if it's a Cop with a spotlight about 4" off your back tire JUST as you enter a 90-degree turn, causing you to gulp, pray, and blindly make your choice running off-road through some little-old-ladies yard, narrowly missing an enormous 150+Y.O. Maple and "forcing" the Cop to assume you're running, stamp it to the floor, then nearly mow you down when you stop because you can suddenly "see"...... don't ask...........
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:05 AM   #25
The stranger
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk
A few gentle taps of the brake lever to activate your brake light helps a lot. Remember: YOU control the speed of the person behind you. If you're approaching a stop or turn, and have really been puttin' the spurs to it (and so has the person behind you), a "sudden" stop might not end pleasantly for the motorcyclist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride
I flash my brake too prior to braking if I have someone behind me, also hand signal, not that the general public knows what they mean, but simply droping your left arm will draw attention.
I make sure to flash the brake light momentarily if I know I'm going to slow down, either right then or in a few moments.

I hadn't thought about it like that but you're right, the motorcyclist does control the speed of the person behind them. I'm not a speed freak and it drives other people nuts, but unless someone is breathing down my neck or I can move to a slower lane, I stay put.

Dropping your hand is a good idea, it hadn't really occured to me to do it. I think that would be very useful for cases where you spot trouble a little further ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk
Another thing I forgot to mention about the cars behind you: Mirrors.

I notice that most riders aim their mirrors so they can see directly-behind them at-a-glance without moving their body. If you do any night riding (or are in situations where you're caught out after dark!) this is a Mistake (well it's a Mistake anyway in the day - but it's compounded in the dark).

I always adjust my mirrors to see what's behind and to each side of me (and the same on my cars/trucks) - you want to see your BLIND SPOT at-a-glance. It's easy to move a bit, then look directly behind you if needed - but once you're used to this positioning, you'll find you seldom need to do so (unless you're watching the Trooper make a smoky J-turn and burnout to turn-around and "chase" you....... don't ask.....).

With the mirrors facing directly-behind, you'll find all you can see in them is lights-lights-lights - and if the SOB hits his brights all you'll see in FRONT of you is the same...... especially if it's a Cop with a spotlight about 4" off your back tire JUST as you enter a 90-degree turn, causing you to gulp, pray, and blindly make your choice running off-road through some little-old-ladies yard, narrowly missing an enormous 150+Y.O. Maple and "forcing" the Cop to assume you're running, stamp it to the floor, then nearly mow you down when you stop because you can suddenly "see"...... don't ask...........
Wow that sounds like quite a nasty adventure I'm not sure exactly what you meant, but I keep my mirrors in such an angle that if I'm in the middle of a three lane road I can partially see what's going on in the lanes to the other side. I can still see part of my arms/shoulders, but it doesn't take up much space. Is that kind of what you meant? I try to force myself to turn my head to see what's behind me if I'm about to turn. I've had some 'gulp' moments where if I hadn't looked, I'd have been a goner. Perhaps the mirrors need to be even further out?


Thanks for the advice guys, it's always a huge help for me to know how to be safer and more conspicuous on the road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa
Rigging a 12 gauge to fire to the rear of the bike can do wonders for tailgaters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride
When I was a kid I had a piece of conduit cable tied to a fork tube and headlight bracket fo my moped. Put 3-4 bottle rockets in there & mounted the horn wires to arc across the fuses & I was launching bottle rockets as I tore through the neighborhood at 35 MPH. There were 3 of us, we were mo-pagans. Good times.
What an awesome idea I always thought rocket launchers on the front would be a nice addition. Would certainly come in handy when people open their car doors without checking who's coming
The stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:51 AM   #26
A Star Ride
Registered Member
 
A Star Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: central Va
Posts: 1,126
Default

The bottle rockets were fun but sometimes you'd hit the horn button (code "launch") and by the time it fired you would've ran into what you intended to shoot at and they often shot unintended targets.

on another note:
I live near the Blue Ridge Parkway (beautiful to ride if yall are ever in the region) but the speed limit is 45 and since it snakes across town, alot of people use it to commute (AT 60+), like its a freeway & your often tailgated, I'll drop my arm or signal them to pass me (solid line or not) and they usually will pass or take the hint & drop back a bit.
__________________
White Trash Hick from Appalachia
A Star Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:43 AM   #27
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The stranger View Post
Wow that sounds like quite a nasty adventure I'm not sure exactly what you meant, but I keep my mirrors in such an angle that if I'm in the middle of a three lane road I can partially see what's going on in the lanes to the other side. I can still see part of my arms/shoulders, but it doesn't take up much space. Is that kind of what you meant? I try to force myself to turn my head to see what's behind me if I'm about to turn. I've had some 'gulp' moments where if I hadn't looked, I'd have been a goner. Perhaps the mirrors need to be even further out?
I forgot (again! D'OH!) to mention: "properly" adjusted mirrors are NO substitute for the "lifesaver" of looking over your shoulder before a turn/lanechange. The mirror shouldn't be a "GO" - it should only be a "NO-GO". Cultivate the habit of looking over your shoulder before leaping - it WILL save your life (and sounds like it already has!).
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:44 AM   #28
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
The bottle rockets were fun but sometimes you'd hit the horn button (code "launch") and by the time it fired you would've ran into what you intended to shoot at and they often shot unintended targets.

on another note:
I live near the Blue Ridge Parkway (beautiful to ride if yall are ever in the region) but the speed limit is 45 and since it snakes across town, alot of people use it to commute (AT 60+), like its a freeway & your often tailgated, I'll drop my arm or signal them to pass me (solid line or not) and they usually will pass or take the hint & drop back a bit.
Fun, but likely to get your ass arrested..........

I've also ridden the BRP - can't believe the Rangers let people get by with that speeding. BRP Rangers have no sense of humour, either.
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #29
A Star Ride
Registered Member
 
A Star Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: central Va
Posts: 1,126
Default

Me arrested, why? I dont go that fast on the parkway, some of the curves my bike couldnt handle at 60. The rangers are jerks though for the most part. Are you in Va Airhawk?
Ironically the ONLY people I know that have gotten speeding tickets on the parkway were on bikes, not that cars dont get them..... I'm just sayn'.
__________________
White Trash Hick from Appalachia
A Star Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:10 AM   #30
A Star Ride
Registered Member
 
A Star Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: central Va
Posts: 1,126
Default

As far as mirrors go I used to keep them just wide enough that I missed my arms & shoulders, but thats too narrow, I like them wide enoough that I barely see directly behind me but more the sides of my lane.
__________________
White Trash Hick from Appalachia
A Star Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off